Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rpm and clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
itsaporsche914
i just had both my clutch tube repaired and the thottle cable replaced. ive had a problem with the thottle sticking on the webber 44s. then i noticed the tach move when i pushed in the clutch and let it back out. trany in neutral. any ideas? is this normal?
gregrobbins
Tach is electronic, shouldn't make a difference. Check your connections and make sure nothing is loose and everything firmly connected and grounded.

Also check your spring on the carb bar, maybe the one on the car is binding on something, or is old and weak. New cables are always a good idea "just to be sure." New clutch cable too?
itsaporsche914
yes clutch cable is new also. it seems its internal , a carb thing, i checked the spring and replaced it , the carbs are 20 years old but rebuilt. the motor seems to rev on its own at times. i donno. wacko.gif
Brando
You check with a mirror through the tunnel inspection plate that the clutch cable and accel. cable aren't inter-twined? Same thing was happening on cris' car.
itsaporsche914
thanks , i was thinking of that possibility. also this was taken at pir phx 2 weeks ago 2 cool cars
Twystd1
I saw this problem once before withthe tach...

In that case... it was the ground strap from tranny to frame... And that fixed it...

I dunno... how or why...yet that fixed it......

Clayton
itsaporsche914
hmmm, ive also dealing with a missing tail ear, could this effect the grounding capacity?
Twystd1
OK,
I remember now how the clutch issue was messing with the tach.

And the ignition at times.

When the clutch was pushed in.. At some point of the stroke. The clutch cable would act as the grounding point for the engine.

Made all kinds of intermittant strangeness in the electrical system..

Cause the owner didn't have a factory ground strap!!!!!

This probably isn't your problem... Just thought I would throw it out there as a possibilty.

And dude.. get your tranny ears welded or put on a used tail housing. It's easy and fast. And ya don't have to pull the trans.

If I had a spare.. You would have one for zero.

By the way... if it's a tail shifter. I do have one tail piece you can have. You pay shipping.

Get her done right. Show her you care about her.. Would you let your kids run around with a broken leg?

Twystd1
Andyrew
Also possible you wrapped the throttle cable around the clutch cable, or that the clutch cable is hitting the throttle cable when you push in the clutch..

Look at your pedal assembly, Gona need to spend some time there looking and thinking..
Spoke
QUOTE (itsaporsche914 @ Mar 26 2006, 12:51 AM)
then i noticed the tach move when i pushed in the clutch

Did the engine RPMs also change? If so, it sounds mechanical. If not, electrical.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.