Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smashed the fuchin shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dweymer
Great, so I did not leave the nut on the end of the trans drive shaft while tapping it out of the intermediate plate, mushroomed it:

user posted image

Is this fixable, anyone want to guess the gear? no its not an f
J P Stein
If it's not an F, it's worth fixen'.
As I see it, the area to the left of the hole in your pic
could be hand worked to allow either a die to fit & chase the threads or threads left off entirely. Bout a #10 mill bastard would be a good tool......tough to go fast & maybe screw it up biggrin.gif A stinker of a fix, but confused24.gif
Bleyseng
Did you use a Brass hammer?

if its a stock 6 unit just try the JP method to chase the threads or find another tranny.
headbang.gif
Dr Evil
Been there (on the /4 trannies), it is verry hard to chase. You may need to take it to a pro machinist in your area that may have the right equipment. You wouldn't want to goof it up by chasing it incorrectly.

Just my $.012
dweymer
of course it was not a brass hammer, that would have been too correct!
and I have not been able to find one. I have extra shafts, just not a "b" like this one.

Aaron Cox
B mainshaft? huh.gif
dweymer
pretty sure
Bleyseng
A block of wood also works, like a 12" piece of 2x4. Anything BUT a steel hammer as you now know. headbang.gif icon8.gif slap.gif spank.gif chair.gif
Demick
Trying to tap out that shaft with a hammer is a no-no. You must have wacked it pretty good to mushroom the end like that. The bearing cage for the bearing for that shaft in the intermediate plate is very fragile. Generally, if you try and remove that shaft with a hammer, you will fracture the bearing cage long before causing damage to the threads like you did.

Demick
dweymer
bearing cage held up fine. I whacked it hard enough to get it out, many light hits actually, I had wrapped it in a rag so I did not see it mushroom as it went or I would have stopped.

I guess it could be turned/ rethreaded on a lathe. Albeit 1-2mm shorter idea.gif
bondo
Here's an idea.. cut a die in half... Put it on the good part of the threads with the cutting side facing the bad part of the threads and weld it back together. Then chase the threads by threading it off.

Doing threads on a lathe is very tricky and I wouldn't trust it to a machinist that doesn't do it often. (matching existing threads must be even harder, I've never tried that)
fiid
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 26 2006, 09:40 AM)
Here's an idea.. cut a die in half... Put it on the good part of the threads with the cutting side facing the bad part of the threads and weld it back together. Then chase the threads by threading it off.

Doing threads on a lathe is very tricky and I wouldn't trust it to a machinist that doesn't do it often. (matching existing threads must be even harder, I've never tried that)

that's genius.
aktion035.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 26 2006, 09:40 AM)

That won't work. And yoou're right about machinists having a hard dtime matching existing threads. It's a real pita.

The shop I work for buys those mainshafts, you wouldn't believe how often it happens. I cut a taper on the threads, across the bad portion and then thread it with a die.

And while I've got it on a lathe, I cut off second gear. So if you have a machinist do this, the price won't be much higher to have both of those done at the same time. As long as he has the proper tools for spline cutting.
Aaron Cox
if this is a 5 speed.. its usually an F or a GA mainshaft...

whats the tooth count on it? X:X ratio....

stock93
Glad to see you're still having fun.

John
John
If you guys want to play trans rebuilder on a budget, go to harbor freight and get a cheap ass press. You will never mushroom another shaft like that.

The cheap presses do work well.

just my $0.02
dweymer
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ May 19 2006, 06:57 PM) *

If you guys want to play trans rebuilder on a budget, go to harbor freight and get a cheap ass press. You will never mushroom another shaft like that.

The cheap presses do work well.

just my $0.02

Actually I was playing take it apart and sell the pieces, but thanks for the insight.

John, nice to see your back, hows the new gig?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.