Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: anyone know anout drivin theater equiptment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
So, Sandy and I traveled about 6 hours oneway yesterday to drop off the heads for the alien to get re-built/repaired. (I'm already concerned, but that's another story... dry.gif )

We were talking about how cool it would be to own a Drivin Theater. We thought it would be cool to see if there is any equiptment on Ebay that could be had cheap. But we know nothing about the stuff. What brands, what MM film they use, How to get movies, Who distributes old films for showings, etc.

This could just be another crtazy fun discussion we have, or it could come to pass. Post what you know, from equiptment, to Drivin stories. It's all fun!

I think all of us have some great Drivin memories. wub.gif
seanery
most of the films are 35mm, some are 70mm.

I think it would be a blast, I love the drive in, but there is just 1 here and it's in a very scary neighborhood.
Don't count on making money, at best it should be treated as a hobby or labor-of-love.

Nowadays you should be able to bypass the speakers on a stand they had everywhere and broadcast the whole thing with a lowpower fm transmitter. It would sound better, too.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 26 2006, 07:41 AM)
most of the films are 35mm, some are 70mm.

I think it would be a blast, I love the drive in, but there is just 1 here and it's in a very scary neighborhood.
Don't count on making money, at best it should be treated as a hobby or labor-of-love.

Nowadays you should be able to bypass the speakers on a stand they had everywhere and broadcast the whole thing with a lowpower fm transmitter. It would sound better, too.

Is it still open? I've been googling around, found one for sale. $ 405.000.00! ohmy.gif

Anyone know of one that is closed down?

We talked about only showing the old movies, Car stuff, the Blob, old westerns, etc.
blitZ
Sadly, the day of the drive-in theatre are diminishing. I had tons of fun in high school as it was a cheap place to hang out. We had three in my home town, now only one. There is a nice one here in Atlanta with 5 screens. Once a month they have a retro night and several car clubs with 50s/60s type cars show up with cars and dress of that era. Sounds like a blast.

And remember, if the windows are fogged up, don't bother knocking. rolleyes.gif
fiid
I'd look into if it's possible to use LCD/DLP digital projectors. You'd certainly need something pretty beefy (and I don't know I've seen something that big) but then you'd have the option to do corporate powerpoint crap (rental $$$) and you could show anything you have on video or dvd (assuming you could get the appropriate licenses.

I'm also pseudo-interested in running a movie theatre - although I'd be wanting to show independant (and older flicks) as my focus, and stuff like Spike & Mike's Twisted Animation stuff.
seanery
pro level dlp projectors are 100k + cheaper to find an old film projector.

If, however, you want to be cutting edge, the digital cinema stuff is bitchin' (the real stuff) 2k and 4k resolutions! ohmy.gif

But, bring your checkbook biggrin.gif
Flat VW
A pal of mine works for Dolby.

He does theatre stuff worldwide, he is currently in Japan training them on the latest Dolby theatre equipment.

It is tuff to make money in the theatre business.

John wavey.gif
fiid
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 26 2006, 11:06 AM)

It is tuff to make money in the theatre business.

agree.gif

That's why they wheeled out that guy in the middle of the Oscars - to tell us how great it is to go to the movies.

I watched him on a 92" wide front projection screen with surround sound telling me how it just isn't the same without a big screen and surround sound.... WTF.gif

Incidently - I think surround sound might be the final failing of the Drive-In... people kind of expect thunderous noises from behind these days (not the kind that comes from a burrito)

Last drive-in I went to a drive-in the battery went flat and I had to bumpstart it rolling down the little humps they had us park on wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.