Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Not Turning On
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kliney30
Went to the garage yesterday morning and found both the battery dead and the fuel pump not turning on when I inserted the key. I bought a new battery last weekend so there is something pulling power from it, which is somehow related to the fuel pump not turning on.

Tried the voltmeter and the fuses / relays are working and jumpered the fuel pump and heard it turn on. I think that somehow the fuel pump circuit is not closing which is draining the battery, but I have no idea where to go now.

Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas for what to do???

Thanks,
Evan
dinomium
Do you have Fuel Injection or Carbs? If you are using the relay board, you *might* have a stuck relay, but that is doubtful...
a bad ground or a short circuit is more likely the culprit.
dinomium
Do you have Fuel Injection or Carbs? If you are using the relay board, you *might* have a stuck relay, but that is doubtful...
a bad ground or a short circuit is more likely the culprit.
kliney30
Hmm....stuck relay or short circuit. My 914 is still FI....what / where would I check for the short circuit??? I checked both relay's yesterday and they both work. How would I check to see if it's stuck open??

Thanks,
Evan
brp914
fyi: by convention an open circuit is "off" or where continuity does not exist for some reason. "closed" is cosidered "on".

As to your question, I dont understand why you link the fuel pump to the dead battery. With the ignition "off" do you hear the pump running? Why not suspect a charging problem? With the engine running, is there >14V across the battery terminals?
swl
If you can gives a little more detail it will be easier to help.

If I follow right.

You came out to a flat battery. The pump wouldn't run - which says the battery was really down.

So you have now recharged the battery and the pump still won't run?

What year/engine

How have you tested the relay?

If the fuse on the relay board is good and the relays (main power and fuel pump relay) is good. The only other place for problems is your ignition switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.