Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone deal with autoatlanta???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
Was looking into buying one of their vacuum line kits, are they reputable?
redshift
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Sep 12 2003, 10:49 PM)
Was looking into buying one of their vacuum line kits, are they reputable?

Yes! They have a tremendous reputation!

Karl?

M
URY914
In a word.
NO.
dakotaewing
NO,NO,& NO.....

What part of the word NO did you not understand...?

(disclaimer) YMMV...but, I doubt it
URY914
This topic will get ALOT of replies.

Paul
MarkV
I bought one of those vacuum line kits recently. Nice product, delivery takes a while though.
dwillouby
I recently went to AA. Talked with a sales guy named Bob (I think). He was very helpful and was willing to take the time to find the parts I wanted. Also gave me a very nice shirt for stopping by. Also got a very pleasant "hello and thanks for stopping by" from George.
I know they have a bad rap but I had a good experence dealing in person.
David
biosurfer1
hmmm, now i'm not so sure...
Andyrew
AA will help their "turf", is what I understand. I say you make your own oppinion about them, if you need a vacume kit now, I would suggest going with someone with a "faster" reputation, but if you want that color coded to factory hose kit, try AA.

I have not dealt with them, just repeating what I have heard..

Andrew
wavey.gif
MarkV
The orange lines are evidently not available any more. The replacements have an orange stripe. I haven't intalled them but they look to be all there.
rhodyguy
i believe the classifieds and postings on the numerous boards have really hurt their sales. no doubt there had to be a shake up with customer service. when a couple of thousand people see the "bad press" the profits take a big nose dive. a simple case of get in step or fall out.

kevin
Nemo914
I have done lots of business with them over the last 10 yrs and have not had too many problems. Most recently did a few ebay transactions with them, and items arrived quickly and as advertised. Give them a try and decide for yourself.
machina
I had good service from george. 3 orders with fast shipping. They did mix up my old address with my new address a couple times but I did make it to my track event so overall I would say good work on their part.

I know alot of people don't have good things to say about AA but I think as a community of 914 enthusiasts, we should cut them some slack. I know there are other places to buy 914 bits but AA is pretty remarkable on the whole. Think of them as a family member with a few bad habits, sometimes they make you crazy but if the weren't there one day, it would be a loss for all of us.

my $.02
dr
mharrison
I've done business with AA over the phone and in person. The in person service was a great experience. In person, I prowled all through the shop, the wheel room, the yard and everywhere with George's brother. He was very helpful and personable. He spent 30 minutes digging through Pedrinis with me to find a set I liked.

Phone order: My wife bought me a "Porsche is a Two Syllable word" t-shirt for Christmas. (I love those). Ordered in November. It got placed on back-order. 3 months later they sent an AA Staff sweatshirt. 5 months after that the t-shirt arrived. This involved several phone calls. So 8 months later we had what we ordered.
Long story short. We ordered one shirt and got two for the price, but it took 8 months.
So, customer service wasn't quick, but it was fair. My guess would be that it was a supplier problem.

So, I've done business witht them twice. Once was a great experience and the other was less than satisfactory, but anytime I'm in the Atlanta area, I will drop by and do business with them.

It is worth stopping by just to see some of the incredible cars on-site. This is where I fell in love with factory flares after thinking they looked "tacked-on" for years.

That said, I would give them a chance and decide for yourself. From what I've experienced and read on other posts, if it does get screwed up, it will get fixed. Just not fast by any stretch.

My 2 cents.......
biosurfer1
thanks for all the reply's...i'll have to look around, because if it were a t-shirt or something of that matter, waiting around for it wouldn't be a big deal but buying a vacuum kit is not something i would like to drive around without for extended periods of time. i think i'll do a phone order with them and see how it goes, hopefully i'll have a better experience than most...
Joe Bob
They suck....I am getting a caravan together so that we can drive by and shit on George's doorstep.
ChrisReale
laugh.gif Lets do it soon cause I gotta go doodoo
biosurfer1
does anyone know where else to get a vacuum line kit besides AA?
ChrisReale
There is nothing fancy with a vacuum kit. Just get the inner diameters of the hoses and lengths, and get them ffrom Pelican or GPR
biosurfer1
ya, i figured that, but it's nice to have everything pre-cut in a nice package already...thanks.
Uncle Richy
Got mine at the local veedub shop. No stripes and not pre-cut, but how hard is that anyway?
nomore4
here's a thread on this topic

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...p=290212#290212
biosurfer1
wow, i had no idea this was such a hot topic...I would give them a shot, but being on the other side of the US, i dont like the fact that if something went wrong, i'd have little out's...thanks for the info guys, you all came through like always smilie_pokal.gif
biosurfer1
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

i just found this, thought it was pretty funny... turns out that one of the guys at pelicanparts bought the domain automobileatlanta.com and they tried to dispute it claiming tradmark infringement...pretty funny if you ask me, i guess they won!

check this out

what is pretty sad about this is that if autoatlanta has been in business for 25 years,
why didnt they buy the domain name when the internet became big? pelicanparts didnt buy it until
2000...weird.
gocubs914
sign me up for the caravan
Dominic
You should just call GPR (German Parts & Restoration) in San Luis Obispo, CA @ 1-800-321-5432, they are 914 Guys all the way (they used to be called Mid Engine Mania) and will not rip you off like those so called reputable east coast business' like AA. I have bought many OE german parts from them over the years for 914's and other German cars and have never had anything but a great experience, excellent prices and fast shipping. They can sell you all of the 12mm German Braided lines as well as the smaller diameter lines, they also stock the German 7mm Fuel injection rubber hose which is a Must have if you have not touched your fuel system yet. It's only a matter of time before the original braided fuel hoses start leaking. Do it right the first time, it's cheaper in the long run smilie_flagge6.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
I just received the AA catalog(s) on CD. Uhm, nice an' all but the images are TINY! So magnify them you say? Well, then the pictures become heavily pixilated and unreadable. Don't even bother wasting paper to print it out. I have Adobe v.5 but I doubt the version would make any difference since the image itself is low-res.

I don't like electronic catalogs or manuals -- I like paper! Thank goodness Tweeks and Automotion use REAL catalogs with color!
DuckRyder
I've always had great luck with them (as did Dad). But I always go.

If I wasn't figuring I'd be on Hurricane duty by Friday I'd offer to go pick it up for you.

I had a hell of a time tring to piece together to proper sized stuff in the nice braided hose.
Mike D.
I've bought several of those hose kits from them. They are the only one offering a complete package. When I'm redoing a motor for someone I don't have time to cruse to all the VW places and compile a list of lengths and sizes. It's just quick and easy to open the bag and put the hoses on.

Only one problem, got sent the item twice and charged twice. Then Spent 6 mo. trying to get a refund for their mistake. And I paid the return shipping!

Stay away from the AA Repro front/top seal. POS!!

-Mike D.
Brad Roberts
HPH in Redwood city stocks the proper hoses in huge spools... one stop... and he knows the lengths off the top of his head and will cut them for you. He is typically open on Saturdays and tries to attend our south bay breakfasts... more parts than AA and easier to get along with..

B
tdgray
You guys have mentioned HPH several times in various posts. Do they sell via telephone, will they ship to us on the east coast? Do you have a telephone number and contact name?

I have ordered from Pelican and was very pleased with the delivery even though they are very far away. I have a local guy for the common stuff (plug wires blah blah) but it would be nice to have more options. From the sounds of it I don't think I will ever order anything from AA.

Todd
1960 MGA
1973 914 1.7L
seanery
Todd,
I've ordered from Rich at HPH over the phone.

Tell him you got his name/# from 914 Club/Brad
tdgray
BUMP

Anybody have Rich's phone number?

Thanks,

Todd
Rusty
1-877-914-4YOU

Ooops. it's 1-877, ot 1-800. ohmy.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
Todd... Pelican ships your parts from the closest wharehouse WorldPac has to you. This is how they have great turn around time on shipped parts. Its hard to beat. HPH uses the exact same parts wholesalers as Pelican but he doesnt ship as fast as PP.

650-364-6234 or 1-877-914-4YOU toll free

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.