Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longest-term owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
owned.gif Just curious..... What members have owned their 914's for the longest time continually?
As a benchmark, I've owned mine since August 1972.
71six
Purchased mine new at the dealership in July 1971. It was wub.gif at first sight rolleyes.gif
Mark
Allan
Don Traver might chime in here.

He has an original six that was bought new in '70.
olav
QUOTE (71six @ Mar 26 2006, 09:16 AM)
Purchased mine new at the dealership in July 1971. It was  :wub: at first sight rolleyes.gif
Mark

That's a heck of a long time.

How has the car held up? Is it rust free etc.
DblDog
...early May of 72...from the dealer in Hayward, CA (long since gone)...must go for a drive today!
71six
The car is pretty much original other than one respray (original silver/clear coat crazed over time). 84,000 miles, original engine, transmission, etc. It is on page 29 of "show your cars" thread. Don't know how to send pic or I would to this thread. David McLaughlin has a pic which perhaps he can post if he see's this.
Mark
grasshopper
I guess I will be the first to say welcome.png
Bleyseng
QUOTE (71six @ Mar 26 2006, 09:44 AM)
The car is pretty much original other than one respray (original silver/clear coat crazed over time). 84,000 miles, original engine, transmission, etc. It is on page 29 of "show your cars" thread. Don't know how to send pic or I would to this thread. David McLaughlin has a pic which perhaps he can post if he see's this.
Mark

Post a pic to your BLOG. wink.gif
jim_hoyland
I can't beat 1970; but, I did get mine in 1982 and that seems like a long time. The time we have spent together has been wub.gif or ar15.gif
degreeoff
sheez, I have only had mine since 96....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh but the time we have spent together..... wub.gif
olav

I've had my current 914 since 1999.

That's not too bad.
dimitri
70 914/6 mine since summer of 1970, direct import from Germany.
Dimitri
Joe Owensby
I bought mine new in 1973. Drove it for about 18 years, about 185,000 miles on original engine. Only replaced 1 fuel injector. It still has original heads, etc. I was left stranded by this caronly once during all these miles- fuel line leak that I fixed and then drove it home.

I parked it because someone broke the front windshield, and I had 4 children and had no time for reworking the car. By that time almost everything had worn out. Unfortunately, I left it outside the last many years, and the back window leaked and water entered and rusted the floorboard and lower firewalls. I am now replacing those, and plan to put the car back together as a daily driver, now that my kids are almost gone and I don't need a minivan. Just got some new sheet metal from Restoration Designs. Great people to work with. Now putting car on rotassirie I build from AA plans. Hope to be driving this summer. Joe O.
spare time toys
The guy that lives next to Clay has owned his for ever and has put like 300000 miles on it. Im sure Clay can fill in the details smilie_pokal.gif
markb
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
swl
QUOTE (Joe Owensby @ Mar 26 2006, 02:52 PM)
I bought mine new in 1973. Drove it for about 18 years, ...I parked it ... Unfortunately, I left it outside the last many years, ... now that my kids are almost gone ... Hope to be driving this summer. Joe O.

Hey Joe. Our stories are are really similar. Bought mine 2 years old in 74. Daily driver until #2 child arrived on the scene in 85. Long story but it wound up in the garage horribly neglected for almost 2 decades. Decided I wanted to build a kayak and the car wound up in the driveway for a few years. Those last few years really added to the rust - leaking back window and rear trunk. Both the longs and the inner rockers are in really bad shape. Trying to decide if they can be saved. Not much chance for it to be on the road this summer unless I can find the money to have the longs rebuilt professionally. Best of luck with yours.

Maybe you could start a blog and post pictures of your progress. Every time I feel like giving up I look at the work others have done and it keeps me going.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Mar 26 2006, 04:58 PM)
The guy that lives next to Clay has owned his for ever and has put like 300000 miles on it. Im sure Clay can fill in the details smilie_pokal.gif

Bob McKinney (My next door neighbor, and member here by proxy) has a 75 2.0 that he bought new in 75. He has used it as a daily driver since 1975, and is still drving it to work everyday.

Betty has had hers since 85, and I have had mine since 86. Both are daily drivers.

Betty's is approaching 300,000 miles.

craig downs
Mine is a 75. I bought it in 77 with 20,000 miles on it and it has only 80,000 now. It had a hard life with the 1st owners.
When I strip the paint down to bare metal it had bondo on every panel. Got rid of all the bondo
and metal finished or used led to fill imperfections.
These cars are such a blast to drive and easy to work on.
Pat Garvey
OK, OK... couple of you guys beat me on ownership (34 years & not good enough??), but I'll bet mine has lower mileage - 67,914 miles (no spelling error). Come on - who has lower miles as an original owner?

I'd love to popst photos, but need some guidance to do that.

PG
iamchappy
Got mine in 74 when I graduated high school. Not the longest owner but part of the when in production club.
chilli
New in late 72 as 73 model. Still original inside and out with some modifications. Daily driver for 5 years
SirAndy
got mine in spring of 2000 ...
what do i win? biggrin.gif

great seeing that some guys bought their cars new and still have them!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
arc914
bought it in 2000 is my first 914 and i have feeling that the family will only grow. need to get her back on the road.
I have to say i am more impressed with those that have 100's of thousands of miles on their 914's. that shows me this car is the favourite one in the driveway.
arc914
KELTY360
QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Mar 26 2006, 06:29 PM)
but I'll bet mine has lower mileage - 67,914 miles (no spelling error). Come on - who has lower miles as an original owner?

It's not how few miles you've driven it, it's how many....unless it's a jackstand queen.

I was looking at an Elise in a parking lot today when the owner came out. We got to talking and he said he's the original owner of a '74 2.0 with over 300,000 miles - Olympic blue, still basically stock. He said he's selling it - I'll be calling him tomorrow.

BTW, I bought a '73 1.7 new on 7/29/73. Had to sell it in '76 but it's responsible for my continuing addiction.

Marc
Seagrave
I am owner number four. I've had it since 1987.
joeav8tor
Steve Gaglione who owns that awesome 73 2.0 in Sahara beige with 22k original miles, has owned his six since the mid 70's...it is also in original condition and looks great....rides nice too.
Joe
URY914
Bought mine in 1979.

How about an award for the least amount of the original car left? smile.gif

Paul
STL914
I bought mine brand new in, ah, 1970... no, 1969. Yeah, that's the ticket. My wife, ah... Morgan Fairchild, wub.gif and I lived in Germany and I was the engineer,..no the Chief Design Engineer for Porsche and I built the first 914.

I, err we still have the car, drove it all over Europe, drove it back to the states and have only,ah... 135 milies on it. Yeah, that's it. biggrin.gif
olav
QUOTE (STL914 @ Mar 27 2006, 09:58 AM)
I bought mine brand new in, ah, 1970... no, 1969. Yeah, that's the ticket. My wife, ah... Morgan Fairchild, wub.gif and I lived in Germany and I was the engineer,..no the Chief Design Engineer for Porsche and I built the first 914.

I, err we still have the car, drove it all over Europe, drove it back to the states and have only,ah... 135 milies on it. Yeah, that's it. biggrin.gif

Yah, that's the ticket.
Root_Werks
biggrin.gif

I think I have owned some 30+ drivable 914's in the past 17-18 years. Does that count for anything? Or is that just a disease? screwy.gif
70Sixter
Had current 6 since Feb 76. 90k miles so far. Bought first 6 in July 70, but succumbed to 911 envy and traded it in 71.
maxwelj
I ordered mine in November of 1969, picked it up in Brussels in March or April of 1970. Like an earlier poster, I drove it all over Europe while married to a Morgan Fairchild look alike... (No, really!).

BTW, the rust starts early. I had to have the back fenders repainted by the local dealer (under warranty) because little spots of rust appeared on the lips of the wheel wells before 6 months was up. This was before we'd gone through a Mannheim winter.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (70Sixter @ Mar 27 2006, 01:10 PM)
Had current 6 since Feb 76. 90k miles so far. Bought first 6 in July 70, but succumbed to 911 envy and traded it in 71.

slap.gif
anderssj
Bought mine in May '72 at Alpine P-A in Colorado Springs; drove it 24k miles in the first year. It was my daily driver until 1989 (not counting time in AK and at sea). Rolled over 230K a couple of weeks ago; hope to have it back out again tomorrow.

I was lucky--thought about selling it back in the late 80s; wife said "let's fix it up for when the kids are gone." wub.gif She's a keeper!

Steve A-
sherman1
I've owned this since 1981...that's almost 4 years in dog-years.

user posted image

beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.