Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lug bolt pattern
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Allan
I just received a catalog from Tire Rack and they offer some really slick wheels from at least a dozen manufacturers.

Are we stuck with the 4/5 x 130 pattern or can the hubs be drilled to the more available 4/5x100 pattern? (or is it the other way around)
Dr. Roger
adaptors.... sad.gif

i really wanted to do the same thing and researched the heck out of it.

there are a $hit load of 4 X 100 patterned wheels out there.....

the other thing to consider is porsche's are hub-centric.

if you drill a 914/911 hub and try to put a 4X100 whell on it, it won't fit unless you machine the hub or wheel....
Pat Garvey
finger.gif Pardon me.....this is a 30+ year old sports car! There are a number of period-correct wheels to put on a 914. Why try to makle it something it isn't?

If you're concerned about zoom factor - a 914 won't give it safely.

About the best upgrade you can make is to change to 911 suspension & wheel parts (IMHO the best look), or to stay with a classic look.

cbenitah
QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Mar 26 2006, 06:34 PM)
finger.gif Pardon me.....this is a 30+ year old sports car! There are a number of period-correct wheels to put on a 914. Why try to makle it something it isn't?

About the best upgrade you can make is to change to 911 suspension & wheel parts (IMHO the best look), or to stay with a classic look.

is it just me or was that a very rude comment? I know Allan knows whats out there..he just asked for options.. no need to give him the finger...
dakotaewing
I happen to agree with Allan -
We should have other options -
Otherwise if you want some nice wheels in the 5x130 bolt pattern, you end up taking a hot rod up the ass because
its a "Porsche" wheel bolt pattern. If you do a little research on new wheels, we typically pay double, or close to it, for
our "Porsche" wheels -

Flame away....
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Pat Garvey @ Mar 26 2006, 07:34 PM)
finger.gif Pardon me.....this is a 30+ year old sports car!  There are a number of period-correct wheels to put on a 914.  Why try to makle it something it isn't?

period correct/shmeriod shmorrect.

do whatever you want and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Otherwise you won't be happy.

ask any of our 914club community of how many adaptors they've seen come off a 914... i've seen these adaptors get punished and perform without problems. hubcentric is even better than the ricer ones.

i weighed my options and chose to convert to 5 bolt for more modern wheel options.

there are many purists here but don't let them keep you from building YOUR dream car. =-)

as for "zoom factor".... WTF??? oh, noob... dry.gif laugh.gif
alpha434
Wow. Someone more offensive than me!

The advantage of a 914 is that they are (sadly) worthless. Do whatever the hell you want to them. And then don't worry about it. If you F$@% something up too badly, then buy another and F%#^ with it some.

Oh, and Pat. welcome.png
Elliot_Cannon
Worthless? Did you say WORTHLESS? Your entitled to your opinion and your opinion sucks. pissoff.gif Worthless indeed!!
Cheers, Elliot
Mueller
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 10:58 PM)
The advantage of a 914 is that they are (sadly) worthless. Do whatever the hell you want to them. And then don't worry about it. If you F$@% something up too badly, then buy another and F%#^ with it some.

how funny, people used to say the same thing about the 356...
Joe Bob
For fun hang out at the 356 registry...right now they are arguing about repro versus real or NOS wood steering wheels...one guy has a hardon about refinishing them and splinters.....

The car is YOURS and you can do anything ya want. As to lug pattern. They can be reset via a machine shop so other wheels can be used...then ya got offset issues..... or you can do the cheap(er) and easy adapter route.

Be advised that adpaters versus "spacers" that use longer studs are mostly illegal in some AX, most DE and Time Trials.

Changing lug patterns via a machine shops is a PITA due to having to do it ever time you booger up a disc for the rears and/or the fronts depending on your struts.....914/911......

YMMV.

As to insults....until people "get" your brand of humor...ya might wanna step lightly as a NOOB....hell, I've been here since the beginning and my humor is still not "got" by most......but...fuck em if they don't get it.....
tat2dphreak
a good machine shop will press in studs to a 4x100 pattern... thus killing 2 birds with 1 stone... Z's right though... every time you replce a rotor, you'll have to visit the machine shop first... IMO, it's worth it though...

there are som slick, light, cheap rims out there for hondas and other 4x100 cars... why should we be stuck with VW rims with the wrong back space, or 30 year old rims, when andvancements have been made in material and aethetic design...

oh, and, who gives a shit if it's "period correct"... it's not like putting a body kit on, it's completely reversable... and you can make it period correct on YOUR car, leave mine the fuck alone
Mueller
16x7 Konig rims (4x100 Honda, Miata, VW GTI pattern and offset)

user posted image

user posted image
Joe Ricard
Diamond racing wheels or circle wheels will make anything you want to fit your car.
I got some of thier steel wheels 16 lbs ea. in a 4 x 130 lug pattern and you can get the exact back space you want. Might need to massage your fenders a bit.

My preference is the Pro series in black. if you don't like what I did to my car just remember it's MY car.
Tobra
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 27 2006, 07:32 AM)
16x7 Konig rims (4x100 Honda, Miata, VW GTI pattern and offset)

user posted image

user posted image

Those are pretty wheels, probably pretty light too, which is always good. Put some racey wheels with a single center lug like on a Carrera GT, or some straight off one if you got the money, as for me, in the immortal words of Mark Hamill, from the critically acclaimed Corvette Summer

"It's my car"

BTW, I am going to polish the the rims ribs on my Pedrinis and powdercoat the centers black(maybe orange, like the car,that would be a gaudy LE kinda thng to do), and I ain't talkin' 'bout a wine cap.
Scott S

wow.... huh.gif
alpha434
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 27 2006, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 10:58 PM)

how funny, people used to say the same thing about the 356...

Still do. Thats how Mikes "speedster" came along. The chopped coupe. We actually call that a "coupester" because its a bastardized coupe. But nobody goes nuts over it. Not around here.
Dr. Roger
or keep the bolt pattern and check out kinesis wheels.... =-))))))))
Rand
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 27 2006, 09:34 AM)

wub.gif

user posted image
MoveQik
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 09:58 PM)

WTF.gif

I'm pretty sure someone up there near you just sold one for $30k or so. Have you not read the 10 other threads commenting on what the values are doing these days? Where do you come up with this stuff?? confused24.gif
jhadler
If it's a budget issue, then having your rotors/hubs customized to accept a 4x100 bolt pattern will actually wind up costing you more than if you just went ahead and bought cusom wheels. There are a TON of custom wheel manufacturers out there. And you can get everything from a custom $50 steel wheel to a super light custom alloy racing wheel for $300 or more a piece. The wheels you buy once. The rotors are a wear and tear item that you'll have to redo time and time again.

Oh yeah, and sticking an adaptor in there isn't so bad if all you plan to do is stick skinny wheels under flared fenders. Remember, that adapter takes up space under there, leaving less room for the tire to fender clearance....

Just my $0.02...

Oh, and Alpha? Calling the 914 worthless in this bar might wind up gettin' yer self whooped on by a bunch of crotchety old farts with enough money invested in 914's to go out and buy a few 427 Cobras. Or maybe even a 250 GTO...

You want worthless? Go find a Hyundai Excell.... Or a Yugo...

-Josh2
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Mar 27 2006, 09:48 AM)

WTF.gif

I'm pretty sure someone up there near you just sold one for $30k or so. Have you not read the 10 other threads commenting on what the values are doing these days? Where do you come up with this stuff?? confused24.gif

come on mike, that's chump change to you and me chairfall.gif let's get that 3.2 into your car, so we can go and F@#* it up. biggrin.gif Then start over wacko.gif

and alpha, i've seen your 'running' parts car, so i can understand how your view of 914's values might be a little skewed av-943.gif

hijacked.gif sorry for the hijack alan.......is there a reason you do not want to go 5 lugs? wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Dr. Roger @ Mar 27 2006, 12:34 PM)

that's 5-lug
Joe Bob
And flared....

BTW, I found a source of steel 4x130. 15x7 and 8 inch wheels....they look pretty good on the Speedster...... www.jbugs.com $129 each.
jhadler
QUOTE ("*" @ Mar 27 2006, 10:51 AM)
And flared....

BTW, I found a source of steel 4x130. 15x7 and 8 inch wheels....they look pretty good on the Speedster...... www.jbugs.com $129 each.

I dunno, might be a waste of money if you ask me... Yes, they look period correct. But...

If you're going to get steelies, why spend so much for a clunker wheel? Just go to Diamond Racing Wheels and get wheels in nearly any width and backspacing your heart desires. And I'd be willing to bet that they'll weigh less too... Oh yeah, and cost less as well...

If you want the alloy wheel but don't want to pay for super light weight, check out Centerline. Pretty much any size wheel you'd want for the 914. These wheels aren't light weight though.

You want light, and don't want to spend more than a kilobuck for a set? Try Spinwerkes, formerly circle racing wheels.

Form there, the sky is pretty much the limit....

Yes, I've done a fair bit of research into finding custom 4 lug wheels for the 914 that don't cost a mint and a half. These are the best options I've found so far. And VW Bug wheels tend to not have the right offset for the 914 anyway. The only VeeWee wheels that I have, are the 14x6 ghia wheels that I use for towing the teener around on....

YMMV...

-Josh2
Joe Bob
Light versus heavy wheel.....unless it's a track car and it's for money when ya win....who gives a shit.

I care how it looks and whether it will hold a tire that will hold a grip and won't kill my ass or my wallet.
alpha434
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Mar 27 2006, 10:27 AM)
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Mar 27 2006, 09:48 AM)

WTF.gif

and alpha, i've seen your 'running' parts car, so i can understand how your view of 914's values might be a little skewed av-943.gif

Dude. IT's my primary car, so it's not like I can just drop everything and put it in a bodyshop! I'm working on it!

Anybody want to sell a Bradley GTII so that I'll have something to drive while I'm working on my 914?
Mueller
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Mar 27 2006, 11:48 AM)
that's 5-lug

here you go in 4 lug...are you happy now?? biggrin.gif laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 27 2006, 02:21 PM)
that's 5-lug

very... can I get that in polished? or black anondized?

wink.gif
Joe Bob
It's still flared..... flipa.gif

Hey Mueller...return yer phone calls....
Allan

WTF.gif chowtime.gif stromberg.gif

Been here 3 days and already making friends.

Getting back on topic, I am going to 5 lug so will that automatically give me the correct lug spacing for most aftermarket wheels?
Dr Evil
There is a guy on ebay that will make any hubs you want with any size/bolt/etc.

Why does the guy that lives up here by me have to start off as sounding like a dick?
Joe Bob
A lot more than 4x130....

5x130 is predominately Porsche....Mercedes as well, I think...at least Mercs fit on five lug VW buses.....but I doubt a set of nazi parade car wheels will work.
Mueller
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Mar 26 2006, 08:16 PM)
I happen to agree with Allan -
We should have other options -
Otherwise if you want some nice wheels in the 5x130 bolt pattern, you end up taking a hot rod up the ass because
its a "Porsche" wheel bolt pattern. If you do a little research on new wheels, we typically pay double, or close to it, for
our "Porsche" wheels -

Flame away....

it's not because it's a "Porsche" wheel pattern, it's due to low demand....if more manufactures made cars with the same bolt-pattern and correct offset, then you'd be able to pick up cheap rims all day long in the 5x130 pattern.......

you are still going to be limited with the 5x130, but you will have a much better choice than the 4x130....of course now you'll run into finding mostly 17", 18" and 19" brand new aftermarket rims with the incorrect offset.........

If you can find a shop that still lists 944 rims, you'll have a better chance of finding some 15" or 16" rims that have been collecting dust in a warehouse someplace....

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Mar 27 2006, 12:25 PM)
that's 5-lug

wink.gif

i think its 2 grand for the 4 lug 7" wheels from AA
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 27 2006, 03:06 PM)
that's 5-lug

wink.gif

which means 1k if you can find them elsewhere... biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Mar 27 2006, 01:17 PM)
that's 5-lug

wink.gif

from what i gather, they arent sold anywhere else...

maybe you can get them thru kinesis directly
Joe Bob
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Mar 27 2006, 01:17 PM)
that's 5-lug

wink.gif

Or on backorder.....
Dave-O
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 27 2006, 09:55 AM)
Diamond racing wheels or circle wheels will make anything you want to fit your car.
I got some of thier steel wheels 16 lbs ea. in a 4 x 130 lug pattern and you can get the exact back space you want. Might need to massage your fenders a bit.

My preference is the Pro series in black. if you don't like what I did to my car just remember it's MY car.

I spoke on the phone with Diamond Racing when I was rim shopping a while back. They can do 15x7 but can do a maximum of 4" backspacking....way too little for the back of our cars without doing major fender work.

The problem is this is the most they can get out of their "rear wheel drive" style. Their front wheel drive style can't accomodate the large bolt circle we require (130mm).

Also they don't make a spinned (lightweight) 7" wheel.

In 8" you can get a heavier rim with 5" backspacing (20lbs if I remember correctly) or a lighter 16lb rim with 4.5" backspacing.

I've got nothing against Diamond racing...I really wish they had a 15lb 15x7 with 5" backspacing...but it ain't gonna happen
d914
I put call out to circle racing, the web site is down, but they offered AL d hole rims in 4/5x130 in hub centric...and the money was'nt that bad. They also had steel for cheaper...I thought that they were a little better off on back spacing...I'll see if they call me back??
jhadler
I have Diamond 15x8's with 5" backspace. They weigh a little over 17 lbs each.

Circle Racing got bought out recently. The company that made their aluminum wheels is now doing bussiness direct. Spinwerkes.

-Josh2
jsteele22
Okay, this thread caught my interest and I'm thinking there may still be 1 other person as clueless about wheels as me..

If a 914 has the original (non-flared) fenders, then obviously the tires can't stick out too far without rubbing. I gather that backspacing is the distance from hub mounting surface to the inner edge of rim (or something similar), right ? is there a rule of thumb for what works on a stock 914, like

width - backspace >= 5 ?

Is too much backspace a problem ?

Joe Bob
http://members.rennlist.com/1976c38/index.html

Go here....
Mueller
too much backspacing such as 6" would cause the rim/tire to hit the trailing arm and the trunk wall..............
byndbad914
I would suggest determining what wheel you would like first, then find out if a backspacing is available that would require a 1" spacer to fit the 914 wheelwell correctly.

Then, instead of running a spacer, have a 1" adapter machined to fit. That is really about as easy as it could get. And typically an adapter is around $40-$60 per wheel, so if the 914 pattern wheel is $300 each and the 100mm wheel is $150 each, then even if you have to throw the adapters away each time you get new wheels (which, really, how often is that!?), you still saved money. And have the wheels you actually want to run on the car.

I want to run 5 on 5" wheels on my car, so I am going to have some custom adapters made to bolt to the hub-centric 5-bolt stuff I have and adapt down to 5" bolt pattern. They will be about 3/4"-1" thick when it is all said and done. Difference is the wheels I want to run are about $100 each, the 5 on 130mm isn't offered, and for the most part, any decent wheel in that pattern is at least $300-$500 each. Then I will just get the backspacing to match. Waayyy cheaper and I get the look I am after.
riverman
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 27 2006, 02:45 PM)
finger.gif Pardon me.....this is a 30+ year old sports car!  There are a number of period-correct wheels to put on a 914.  Why try to makle it something it isn't?

Must be from the x-19/UFO/WRX forum.
jd74914
QUOTE (riverman @ Mar 27 2006, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 27 2006, 02:45 PM)

Must be from the x-19/UFO/WRX forum.

I believe from another thread Pat is a CW, give him a break. Each to his own. cool.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (byndbad914 @ Mar 27 2006, 05:03 PM)
I would suggest determining what wheel you would like first, then find out if a backspacing is available that would require a 1" spacer to fit the 914 wheelwell correctly.

Then, instead of running a spacer, have a 1" adapter machined to fit. That is really about as easy as it could get. And typically an adapter is around $40-$60 per wheel, so if the 914 pattern wheel is $300 each and the 100mm wheel is $150 each, then even if you have to throw the adapters away each time you get new wheels (which, really, how often is that!?), you still saved money. And have the wheels you actually want to run on the car.

I want to run 5 on 5" wheels on my car, so I am going to have some custom adapters made to bolt to the hub-centric 5-bolt stuff I have and adapt down to 5" bolt pattern. They will be about 3/4"-1" thick when it is all said and done. Difference is the wheels I want to run are about $100 each, the 5 on 130mm isn't offered, and for the most part, any decent wheel in that pattern is at least $300-$500 each. Then I will just get the backspacing to match. Waayyy cheaper and I get the look I am after.

I looked into that (even made up prints for the 4-to-4 spacers/adapters and had the design signed off by one of the main techs up here for our region PCA).....problem at least at the time (a few years ago) was that in the 4-lug setup with NO flares, one would need a 7" rim to have an offset of ~60mm which I could not find...40mm was the norm.

for a flared car, that would work out great...

there is another member here that is running the 5x130 pattern with custom 5x120(VW Passat/Audi) spacers that allow him to run some sweet rims under his GT flares....
Joe Ricard
Well 4 lug Fuchs are 4 1/2" backspace if you run a Kumho V700 205/50-15 big fatty tire it will rub the inner fender well inless you put a 1/4" spacer in there.

Maybe my car is WAY different that all of yours.
jsteele22
QUOTE (jhadler @ Mar 27 2006, 03:07 PM)
I have Diamond 15x8's with 5" backspace. They weigh a little over 17 lbs each.

-Josh2

Hey Josh,

Do you have any pics of these on your car ?
jhadler
Yup. Here's a good one. The picture quality itself isn't so hot though... It's a scan from a print, and the print got a little messed up... But it's a great picture!

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.