Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wot, Anyone watch the Chop off on discovery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I noticed someone mentioned Psyco Billy Zane in an other thread. I like his free form rough style of custom building. Me and my two sons are working on a custom bike. We used a 80cc dirt bike front end, replaceed the knobby tire, built a frame from black pipe, mounted a golf cart tire on the rear. We have a Honda 90cc motor for power.
rick 918-S
This is Kyle
Neal
I like Billy's bikes but I did like Indian Larrys that won the chop off better. I generally like a front end with less rake but what would a life long Motocrosser and Sport Bike rider know.Theres Something about Handling/Braking/Stopping that I value. I will say that all those builders on the Discovery series are great Artisens and Craftsman and I would love to work part time in a shop like that just for the fun of it.

Neal
KaptKaos
Nice 02 in the pic with your son. How far along is it?

-Joe
redshift
After the 914 speedster flys, I am building a chopper.

I like Psycho Billy's hubless camel bike, I also like Larry's Rat Fink.. that thing rocks.

I think Billy's bikes are works of art as much as bikes.

www.choppersinc.com

M
airsix
QUOTE(Neal @ Sep 13 2003, 08:36 AM)
I like Billy's bikes but I did like Indian Larrys that won the chop off better.

I watched all three episodes and was totally put off by it. The two customs were better bikes than any of the 4 choppers Billy and Larry built. I don't know if Billy/Larry won because choppers are the fad, or because it was a popularity contest, but the customs were better bikes. They were designed better, had higher build quality, and IMHO looked better. I'm sure they also performed and handled better. Maybe they lost because their builders didn't "look the part" (I'll let you figure that one out). The silver custom from LA was great looking, but the Mario bike definitely had the highest attention to detail, most precise and intelligent design, and was by far the most well thought out. When Billy bolted that chopper's seat pan directly onto the exhaust I thought "Is this a joke? This guy's a F***ING MORON!" I was hoping against hope that they would show it when his arse caught on fire, and low and behold they did. lol3.gif He might be an artist, but an engineer he's not.
-Ben M.
redshift
Nope, you are right. Go look at the hubless camel.

You were also right about the customs being better bikes.

but..

get your motor runnin'
head out on the highway
looking for adventure
and whatever comes our way..

The choppers are hotrods, the customs are Ferrari style street bikes.

You expect your hotrod to bite back.. actually, everything bites, keep your hands in your pockets!

M
seanery
I liked Billy's bikes, but didn't care much for crazy Indian Larry's bikes.
The Mario bike was ugly, the proportions were all F'd up.

The cool bike was the maroon custom that lost to Larry. It had the best lines of the customs.
I really liked Billy's first bike, very nice.
mharrison
I've always like the Borgette's. Those bikes are beautiful. Graceful sweeping lines and very clean.

Just MHO though....

My brother-in-law greatly prefers the old school choppers....

He has two IronHorse choppers. I've ridden them and they're OK, but give my my old Yamaha 750 Maxim any day. It rides better, handles better, and feels like a BIKE should.
rick 918-S
The 02 has a radical motor. I spent a boat load of money and time on it. 12:1 compression, 121 head E12 Valves, Schrick duel valve springs shaved head (.166!) custom ground degreed Paeco Cam, custom chain tensioner, mechanical advance dist, header, twin 40mm Webers, It sounds like a small block chevy on steroids! I gave it to my 16 yr old as a project. We need to finish the rear brakes and it's time for paint. All he can think of is selling it so he can buy my M3,. He just doesn't get it. I wish I never gave him the car... mad.gif
Aaron Cox
my friend picked up an 02 today. wants to have a hi-pperf motor in it. way cool. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.