Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A gift to me from the PO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
Today, I got under my car to tighten the alternator belt. I was there, on my back admiring the starter that I had polished up and rebuilt and reinstalled a while ago. I focus out and notice that the CV joint is damn near falling off!!! And that's not all. I torque that one down, and then decide to "methodically" check the other side. ITS NEARLY OFF TOO.

I end up taking them both off and repacking them, Retorquing them and stomping around for a while.

Maybe someone wants me dead?
mightyohm
The day I bought my car, i lost a CV and had to push it home.

The day I went to SF in my car, I lost a CV again and had to push the car - accidentally into a lamp post, ruining a 72 hour old paint job.

Then I safety wired them. So far no more disasters. biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
did u use new wavy washers and loctite?????

just gunna' end up the way they were before...... =-)

(happened to me too.....) biggrin.gif
alpha434
I tossed green loctite on there and split washers. There weren't any wavy washers or split one on there. Used high grade grease too. No need to half ass something. Yeah!

The wierd thing is that I couldn't hear it when I was driving. I had a Mazda that had a bad CV on the passenger front and I could hear it ALL THE TIME. All I could ever think about was "Jesus, I hope that thing doesn't break." But with my teener, I didn't even know, and IT was MUCH closer to failure than my Mazda's.

I guess that was just a difference in manufacture. Can't be helped.
lapuwali
You don't want split washers or wavy washers. The correct parts are Schnorr washers, which are cupped and have radial ridges to hold the fastener in place. Use those properly and they'll stay put for years.
McMark
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 10:58 PM)
I tossed green loctite on there and split washers. There weren't any wavy washers or split one on there. Used high grade grease too. No need to half ass something. Yeah!

The wierd thing is that I couldn't hear it when I was driving. I had a Mazda that had a bad CV on the passenger front and I could hear it ALL THE TIME. All I could ever think about was "Jesus, I hope that thing doesn't break." But with my teener, I didn't even know, and IT was MUCH closer to failure than my Mazda's.

It's not a bad CV, that's why it doesn't sound like one. dry.gif confused24.gif

I agree with James, and I'd go a step further and emphasis that you need to use new ones if the history of your used ones are unknown. I.e. just because it has the correct washers does not mean that the correct washers aren't worn out and therefore not doing their job.
alpha434
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 26 2006, 11:23 PM)
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 10:58 PM)

It's not a bad CV, that's why it doesn't sound like one. dry.gif confused24.gif

I agree with James, and I'd go a step further and emphasis that you need to use new ones if the history of your used ones are unknown. I.e. just because it has the correct washers does not mean that the correct washers aren't worn out and therefore not doing their job.

Thanks for your reccomendation. There were no washers on them. I replaced them with my own. And even considered Ti screws. <-Thats a joke.

I'm changing to five lug suspension here, shortly. I'll do a trannie rebuild at the same time. Regear and use bigger 911 CVs. Then I'll use all of the correct components and sell the small CVs and let someone else deal with that problem.
MattR
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 26 2006, 09:53 PM)
Maybe someone wants me dead?

Did you buy it from someone on the club?

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
McMark
MattR, av-943.gif
Andyrew
I have never A: put a gasket in them
and B: never used lock tite or safety wire or even the washers.

They are always tight.

Probably because I tq them to about 40lbs.

alpha434
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 26 2006, 11:52 PM)
I have never A: put a gasket in them
and B: never used lock tite or safety wire or even the washers.

They are always tight.

Probably because I tq them to about 40lbs.

sheeplove.gif

Thats all fine and dandy until you strip one.

BUT that would mean that someone is out to get me. I'll be checking my brake lines from now on.
Andyrew
I'd check your front bearings...
alpha434
F*ck the front bearings. I'm going five lug next week.

I checked them when I had the grease out. Figured HYE why not. but they were on tight, with no signs of leakage, so I left 'em where I found 'em
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.