Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning Engine Drop ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
My car is at a point where aesthetically it looks good, but leaks so much oil that I cannot stop anywhere without leaving BIG oil marks - even for a couple minutes. I've concluded that it is coming from the oil pump and cooler and plan to replace those gaskets, but what else should I check while I have it out? The engine runs relatively strong (despite my low idle issue). Here are some of my other consiedations:

- Any special challenges to replacing oil pump gasket and cooler seals?
- Would like to change push rod tube seals - should I replace just the O-rings, or replace the entire tube?
- Any tricks to the rocker removal?

Thanks for your help?
bd1308
oil cooler seals, real main seals (both engine and tranny), pushrod tube seals, and do a valve adjust while its out.

at The FFC, our very own Ed Morrow told me that my oil pressure sender was leaking....and lots of oil smoke was coming outta my car.

ok.

so i replace it several days later after it completly broke into two and dumped HUGE oil all over (2 qts a day--NO JOKE)

so check that out.

b
vesnyder
Britt - Have to check the main seals? I just put in a new oil pressure sender, but I will definitely check it while it is out - not convinced I got it tight?

Thanks!
bd1308
I dunno...those threads dont like much torque on them. I think I used teflon to seal it up....you can see the oil pooling around the sensor when the car ran, so check it out.

My real main seals are leaking, so I have to drop the engine. I already toasted my clutch (soaked)....

b
Eric_Shea
Change the brake soft lines while the engine is out. It's much easier and... if you don't know when they were replaced last, now's the time.

Also may want to check into Chris Foley's metal fuel lines. Beats 'burn'n down the house'

E.
MattR
I'd check the oil pressure sender before you pull the engine. Its easily accessable through the engine tin and could save you a lot of time.
vesnyder
Thanks guys - I already changed the fuel lines and installed a new oil pressure sender and have the new ss brake lines that I will install. Got some good pointers on installing the push rod tube o-rings. Anything else??
r_towle
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 27 2006, 09:33 AM)
I dunno...those threads dont like much torque on them. I think I used teflon to seal it up....you can see the oil pooling around the sensor when the car ran, so check it out.

My real main seals are leaking, so I have to drop the engine. I already toasted my clutch (soaked)....

b

Britt,
There is a galley plug in there to check...take off the flywheel, look to the lower right...

BTDT..

Rich
bd1308
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 27 2006, 05:16 PM)
I dunno...those threads dont like much torque on them. I think I used teflon to seal it up....you can see the oil pooling around the sensor when the car  ran, so check it out.

b

Britt,
There is a galley plug in there to check...take off the flywheel, look to the lower right...

BTDT..

Rich

its gear oil i'm leaking....

b
Mueller
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 27 2006, 04:16 PM)
I dunno...those threads dont like much torque on them. I think I used teflon to seal it up....you can see the oil pooling around the sensor when the car  ran, so check it out.

b

Britt,

BTDT..

Rich

yep...I have a 1.8 with less than 5K miles on it sitting on my bench due to that darn plug leaking sad.gif
bd1308
so with a tap, some heavy grease and threaded galley plugs, that would be another "while yer in there" thing to do?

b
r_towle
look at it anyways.
Take off the flywheel to do the REAR main seal...not the real main seal.

So its right there...clean everything and examine it..mine was sitting at an angle on its way out. and leaking.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.