Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 911 Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Is setting the timing such a mysterious procedure? Or does Pelican just keep it hush-hush since they sell that friggin' 101 911 Projects book? Anyone have the timing settings for 67 2.0? rolleyes.gif
TimT
which engine is it?

30 deg @ 6000rpm ( E or S )

or

35 deg @ 6000rpm (T)

I know in '67 they didnt have all those model designations, but the L and normal should be 35, the S 30
ArtechnikA
S or not ?

extrapolating (could be dangerous...) from the later cars, S's get 30* BTDC @ 3000, others got 35*. (there was no 'E' in 1967...)

this should be in the spec book and Owner's Manual.
neither of which I have for earlier than '69 - but those are the numbers for the '69 2,0's
lylegd
The following info comes from the Porsche spec book.
1) For the 901/01 engine. Statically time it at TDC and then dynamically time it at 30 deg BTC with no load or 32 degrees BTC with load.

2) For the 901/02 engine (911S) Statically time it at 5 degrees BTC degrees and then dynamically time it at 30 degrees BTC with or without load

3) For the 901/03 engine Statically time it at TC and then dynamically time it at 35 degrees BTC with or without load.
Note: Dynamic timing is done at 6000 rpm in all cases. These timing marks should be marked on your drive belt pulley if you still have the original pulley. Good luck trying to see the marks if this motor is installed in a 914. It would be best to use a degree wheel attached to your crankshaft, then scribe the proper marks on the outside of the flywheel before you install the motor and then use a timing light on the flywheel. Lyle

Dr Evil
I am glad you brought this up as I am almost ready to start my engine and need to double check this.

I have a '74 2.7 with SC cams...I wonder what it should be timed at?
dstar
An engine is timed based on the camshaft used......

Don
Dr Evil
QUOTE (dstar @ Mar 27 2006, 04:15 PM)
An engine is timed based on the camshaft used......

Don

Right, but what year, model should I be looking for to get a value?

dstar
Whatever the cams came in!
IF they came in the 74 2.7, then time it as such.

IF those cams came from a 73, then time as a 73.......

Camshaft design dictates ignition timing..., fer the most part!
wink.gif

Don
Mueller
Mark, I have the CD that came with the Pelican 911 Engine rebuild book if you need it......I don't see rebuilding my 3.6 anytime in the near future smile.gif
McMark
I didn't get a CD with my book. mad.gif

It's a 901/06 plain jane. Stock cams.
sixnotfour
wow
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.