Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buck Owens
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
A staple around B-town. Gone.

turboman808
I listen to alot of country but I can't say I am familiar with him. Saw on the CMT site this morning.
URY914
Hee Haw!!!
Howard
Allan, were you a BuckBuckBuckaroo?
Eric_Shea
Buck was one of the best... I'll bet Dwight's bumm'n
Allan
QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 27 2006, 12:49 PM)
Allan, were you a BuckBuckBuckaroo?

Nah, I'm into the subtle stuff like Megadeath... laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
But if you were ever in Bakersfield on a Sunday night. You might sneek a peak of Mr. Owens at his resteraunt.
Lou W
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2006, 01:52 PM)

agree.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 27 2006, 12:57 PM)
But if you were ever in Bakersfield on a Sunday night. You might sneek a peak of Mr. Owens at his resteraunt.

He was there every Friday night.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 27 2006, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 27 2006, 12:57 PM)
But if you were ever in Bakersfield on a Sunday night.  You might sneek a peak of Mr. Owens at his resteraunt.

He was there every Friday night.

Damn it, Sorry Friday night. Knew it was sumpin like that. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 27 2006, 12:48 PM)
I listen to alot of country but I can't say I am familiar with him. Saw on the CMT site this morning.

You don't know Buck because he never fit the Nashville formula, and that's what gets played on about 99% of the "country music" stations nationwide. Been that way for probably 30 years. He was responsible, almost singlehandedly, for setting the stage for Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokam, and a whole slew of Bakersfield and Los Angeles based country singers. There's a whole world of outstanding country music out there that you'll probably never hear on so called "country music" stations. In fact, most of it is way better than the stuff they play. The Cap'n
Grimstead
QUOTE (Lou W @ Mar 27 2006, 01:00 PM)
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2006, 01:52 PM)

agree.gif

agree.gif
Back in the late 80's, some of our (LA) local Punk scene got into Honky Tonk (it really was alot of fun). One of my first compact discs was the compilation "A Town south of Bakersfield" which show cased LA's underground country scene and Buck was all over it (producing some, singing on others). That album also led to Dwight getting signed to a major label.
rick 918-S
I'm a Pickin!.....
andys
Buck Owens definately cut his own path, and influenced many to follow. Stood country music on its side in his day. Good 'ol California boy. I was not a fan of his, but greatly respect his accomplishments.

Andys
Allan
And I'm a grinnin... biggrin.gif
Lou W
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 27 2006, 02:26 PM)
I listen to alot of country but I can't say I am familiar with him.  Saw on the CMT site this morning.

You don't know Buck because he never fit the Nashville formula, and that's what gets played on about 99% of the "country music" stations nationwide. Been that way for probably 30 years. He was responsible, almost singlehandedly, for setting the stage for Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokam, and a whole slew of Bakersfield and Los Angeles based country singers. There's a whole world of outstanding country music out there that you'll probably never hear on so called "country music" stations. In fact, most of it is way better than the stuff they play. The Cap'n

agree.gif You gotta listen to the old classic stuff to appriciate his music and the talent that came along as a result of him. It's the old twangy stuff thats great. beer.gif
markb
Anybody that can write a song that the Beatles later covered is OK by me. smilie_pokal.gif
ClayPerrine
"Where oh where are you tonight?"
"Why did you leave me here all alone?"

RIP... sad.gif
zymurgist
I'm not that familiar with his music, but I never missed "Hee Haw" when I was a kid.

Dinosaur Victrola
Listening to Buck Owens
Doo doo doo looking out my back door
blitZ
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 27 2006, 02:39 PM)
"Where oh where are you tonight?"
"Why did you leave me here all alone?"

RIP...  :(

"I searched the world over and thought I found true love"
zymurgist
"You found another and pfft! you were gone."
bryanc
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 27 2006, 01:26 PM)
I listen to alot of country but I can't say I am familiar with him.  Saw on the CMT site this morning.

This is the truth....

There are lots of alternative country artists out there that just kick ass.... Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Charlie Robison, Dwight Yoakam, Buck, Merle, Willie (some days).... Satellite radio is great if you are into anything but top-40 pop or country music. Phoenix, for example, has no really good country stations, I listen to one in Globe when I can get it to tune in.

Problem is that they don't have sponsorship from major vendors so they just arent played on radio as much.... oh wait, that's the problem with NASCAR.

For some fun listen to Hayseed Dixie: Classic AC/DC (and others) songs done by a great bluegrass band.
rjames
Damn, I didn't hear that he had died.
I was fortunate enough to get to see him play the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle. He opened up for the band 'Live'. He had recovered from throat cancer at that point. He couldn't talk very well, but somehow when he sang it sounded great. I didn't read every one of the prior posts, but he was responsible for quite a few hits. I always liked "Tiger By The Tail', and of course 'Act Naturally' I think was written by him too. The Beatles covered that one on the 'Yesterday and Today' album.
I'm *only* 37 years old, but I remember of course seeing him on Hee Haw, and hearing a lot of his songs on the radio when I was a kid. Of course, that's when they actually played country music on the radio....
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 27 2006, 01:44 PM)
A staple around B-town. Gone.

I hear he's really big in Turkey, so you'll feel right at home. laugh.gif

Elliot
Lou W
QUOTE (bryanc @ Mar 27 2006, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 27 2006, 01:26 PM)

This is the truth....

There are lots of alternative country artists out there that just kick ass.... Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Charlie Robison, Dwight Yoakam, Buck, Merle, Willie (some days).... Satellite radio is great if you are into anything but top-40 pop or country music. Phoenix, for example, has no really good country stations, I listen to one in Globe when I can get it to tune in.

Problem is that they don't have sponsorship from major vendors so they just arent played on radio as much.... oh wait, that's the problem with NASCAR.

For some fun listen to Hayseed Dixie: Classic AC/DC (and others) songs done by a great bluegrass band.

Check your local cable tv source, my Adelphia has Classic Country, I've been working at home listening to it. smile.gif
jimtab
My dad was a real, honest to god working Montana cowboy before ww2 and he always said Buck Owens was "all cowboy hat and no cattle" but he did like tiger by the tail, but he was always embarrased by that....anyone who paved the way for Lyle Lovett is OK with me...best country singer since Bocepus daddy...and Patsy Cline...ok, so I'm old school....so? biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Opening line of one of my favorites: "I got the hungrys for your love and I'm waitin' in your welfare line" Tried to catch Buck a year ago at the Crystal Palace, but he was out sick. Sorry I never made it back ..........
The Cap'n
JB 914
ohmy.gif sad.gif pray.gif

If have always been a big fan of Dwight and got familar with Buck thru his music. RIP Buck
Lou W
I saw Dwight perform locally a couple of years ago, it was great concert. insert cowboy hat tunez.gif
Eric_Shea
He was responsible, almost singlehandedly, for setting the stage for Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokam, and a whole slew of Bakersfield and Los Angeles based country singers.

Yup... I think it was Merle who coined it as the "Bakersfield Sound".

It's good to see Buck have such a good run of it. As stated a few up... RIP Buck. Thanks for the memories and the music. smilie_pokal.gif
jetboy
Although im not the country type, Buck was a great figure from Bakersfield. I just dont know if he was really worthy of having a road named after him and removal of the Bakersfield sign from the strip really annoyed me... But, he will be missed.
SGB
I understand he was a lot like NACAR:
much more intellectual and calculated than the market cares to realize.
bernbomb914
If you are my age and you lived in So Cal you had to listen to Cliffy Stones home town Jamboree TVed at the old El Monte Stomp. featured Buck Owens ,Tennesee Ernie Ford, Roy ?, Johny Cash, M Haggard,and a whole bunch of non Nashville types that were one of the most watched TV programs in the country.

Bernie
shoguneagle
Buck Owens, thanks for the many songs and the "Bakerfield's Sound". My wife and I were planning on seeing his show in Bakersfield this year. Alas!! It will never happen.

If I remember correctly, he was both honored in the Rock and Roll industry as well as the Country music industry. I do know he did his own thing and stayed in Bakersfield for a lot of years. He stilled performed two nights a week when he was seventy-five. I have to respect a man or woman who marches to their own drumbeat and still enjoy it when everyone else has retired.

I am not a C&W fan per se but I really respect Buck Owens. He was one of a kind and followed his own ideas. Something America is saddly missing: belief in the individual and individual effort .

Thanks for the music.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
Eric_Shea
Roy ?

Acuff
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2006, 11:32 PM)
Roy ?

Acuff

Probably Roy Clark.

Eric_Shea
Indeed! The better known Roy in that crowd. Talk about one hell of a guitar player!! ohmy.gif
Lou W
Rogers?
Eric_Shea
Except the Tennessee Ernie Ford then Roy ? reference still makes me think Acuff... idea.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2006, 11:47 PM)
Except the Tennessee Ernie Ford then Roy ? reference still makes me think Acuff...  :idea:

I think I thought of Roy Clark because... wasn't he on HeeHaw a lot? I always associate him with that California crowd.

Lots of good players named Roy.

Roy Buchannon would be one of my favorites.

bryanc
Roy Clark and Buck both suffered from their association with Hee-Haw. Buck had an anti-nashville sound following similar to what many alt country artists have today. He basically made a business decision to do hee-haw. He made money by the piles during the hee-haw days.

Roy is simply an incredible guitarist. In all forms. He can actually play anything with strings very well. I saw him in concert years ago and it was simply incredible. Plus his sense of humor is great..... songs like 'Thank God and Greyhound she's gone!'.
jimtab
OK, I guess it's time:

Do all you country fans know what you get when you play country music backwards???

You get your girlfriend back...
The train comes back to the station...
Your daddy gets out of jail..
You get out of jail...
Your dog comes back to life...
You get your pickup back...
Your Mama gets out of prison...
Your horse gets over his lameness...
The guy you "shot down" comes back to life....
etc...... biggrin.gif
seanery
I don't really know many Buck songs, but I, too, remember him from the Hee Haw days.

I am, however, a big Dwight fan, Guitars, Cadillacs, etc...was my first country album from the days when I had long hair and was into hair bands and heavy metal. I loved the twang, so if it came from Buck then thanks Buck.

As a side note, anyone listen to Hank III? I like his style, the lyrics don't speak to me, but the music is cool.
rhodyguy
the bakersfield sound. lots of crossover if you listen closely. the blasters, derailers, etc. stripped down, to the point music, without alot of fluff. "and all he had to do was, act naturally".

k
Eric_Shea
my first country album from the days when I had long hair and was into hair bands and heavy metal

Pete Anderson kicked some serious ass on that one huh?
seanery
yes, great playing, indeed. rocking nana.gif
bernbomb914
It was Clark

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.