Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa and roll bar seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
I am thinking about tackling some of the non mechanical issues with my car. One of them is excessive wind noise while driving with the top on. The seals around the side windows have some rather excessive gaps and I was wondering, do these seals shrink with age or are these possibly just some ill-fitting cheap aftermarket garbage? I am hesitant to spend the money on new seals if this fit is typical of the replacements available.
SLITS
Like any other rubber product, they harden, shrink and break. There is also a small adjustment that can be done to the windows.

If you're expecting a NARP to seal like a Lexus, buy a raincoat and ear plugs and save your money.
Chris Pincetich
I have this same problem and compensate by turning the volume WAY up on my stereo wink.gif

I've noticed on my car, and read somehwere here, that other seals can be modified to fit on the targa top sides. Mine has one that is closed off at the angle cut on both sides, then one that is not - suggesting that a longer seal was cut and made to fit. A while back I googled VW seals and there are sourced for cheap standard seal, with diagrams of the internal seal profile. Some day I will get on this project too. I was thinking that if the mounting hardware for the side seals could be tinkered with, maybe adding washers or tearing out and re-glueing with a 1/8" spacer underneath would seal the gap. Keep us posted on any progress - I'm sure your not the only one with big gaps on the sides. I have to cover my car every time it rains (every day lately). ohmy.gif
beerchug.gif
Ctrout
Here are photos for further clarification.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
D1A3
Uh, you need new seals. Even my oldest seals have smaller gaps than that. Just spend the bucks and buy some new ones.

I got mine recently from Dave at GPR Parts.
Ctrout
Just checked GPR and they show nothing. Could they be sold out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.