Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got a vac. leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I have a vac leak at the runner/ head union. I have replaced the gasket with a new, thick paper gasket. I surfaced the face of the runner where it mates with the gasket with some wet sand paper and a peice of granite tile.

Put it all back together very clean and with a little gasketsinch.

When I fired the motor up it was fine.

But yesterday after my drive home from work I noticed a fluctuating idle, sprayed some carb cleaner in that area on the rpm went up.

Is it possible the runner has a crack??

Bleyseng
No, but I bet your fuel injector inner seals are shot.... wink.gif
toon1
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 28 2006, 09:35 AM)
No, but I bet your fuel injector inner seals are shot.... wink.gif

is it the seal that is on the end of the injejtor that makes the seal agains the runner?

that is new.

Is there an injector seal internally?
Rand
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 28 2006, 09:08 AM)
I have a vac leak at the runner/ head union. I have replaced the gasket with a new, thick paper gasket.

If I understand which one you're talking about, the correct gasket is a lot thicker than paper...

user posted image

The injectors seals are like little rubber donuts that fit around the injector...

user posted image
toon1
QUOTE (Rand @ Mar 28 2006, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 28 2006, 09:08 AM)
I have a vac leak at the runner/ head union. I have replaced the gasket with a new, thick paper gasket.

If I understand which one you're talking about, the correct gasket is a lot thicker than paper...

user posted image

The injectors seals are like little rubber donuts that fit around the injector...

user posted image

Yep, both are new, the manifold gasket is new with the thicker paper, the injetor seals are new on the all 4 injectors, big and small seals are new.

This is the second new man. gasket on this side that is why I am suspect of something else.

The manifold gasket on the drivers side of the motor is the thin paper type gasket and it is sealing fine.
ClayPerrine
The manifold gaskets are not just paper. They are a plastic insulator between 2 paper gaskets.

You need the proper spacer with the gaskets. It won't run right with just a paper gasket.

toon1
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Mar 28 2006, 10:58 AM)
The manifold gaskets are not just paper. They are a plastic insulator between 2 paper gaskets.

You need the proper spacer with the gaskets. It won't run right with just a paper gasket.

I have the bakelite piece in. It is brand new, never used, paper is bonded to the bakelite, it's all good.

after two new gaskets, I think it is some thing that I am putting back on or the head is warped??? unsure.gif
Bleyseng
Well, I have seen the engine tin stick out into where the Phenolic block mounts to the head preventing a solid seal. Check for that.... unsure.gif

jsharp.gif
toon1
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 28 2006, 11:15 AM)
Well, I have seen the engine tin stick out into where the Phenolic block mounts to the head preventing a solid seal. Check for that.... unsure.gif

jsharp.gif

good point, I had that problem on the other side and corrected it before installing the gasket. This side is clear of the tin.
Bleyseng
try a different gasket compound like Copper or Curel to seal it.
toon1
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 28 2006, 11:58 AM)
try a different gasket compound like Copper or Curel to seal it.

ok! what is copper and curel?? sealants?

NAPA auto??
Bleyseng
sealants...
toon1
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 28 2006, 12:26 PM)
sealants...

how do they differ from gasketsinch??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.