Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What cars DIDN'T have sail panel vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
My new car doesn't have sail panel vinyl and it appears it never did. I reached under the fender up to where the trim clips usually poke through and it doesn't feel like they were shaved. So this leads to my question, what cars didn't have sail panel vinyl?

This car is a 73 factory 2.0.
tod914
sail panel vinal was part of the apperance group option. they say all 73 2.0 cars were fully optioned (excludeing rear windo defrost). 74 I believe they started piece mealing the options. There is a 2 owner 74 2.0, all original car in our local pca that has all options minus the sail panel vinal.. I spoke with the owner and he said it came that way from the dealership.
krazykonrad
From my understanding, those cars (like mine) that were "base model" and didnt come with the apperance package:chrome bumpers, etc, didt have vinyl on the sail panels.
Konrad
72 914/4
jasons
This car has a 3 gauge console with the hinged armrest. It appears the bumpers were changed. The front is a black unit WITHOUT the bumperettes. It must have had fogs, because the switch is there. This car also has factory F and R sway bars.

Obviously anything could have been added/deleted in 33 years.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (jasons @ Mar 28 2006, 12:08 PM)
My new car doesn't have sail panel vinyl and it appears it never did. I reached under the fender up to where the trim clips usually poke through and it doesn't feel like they were shaved. So this leads to my question, what cars didn't have sail panel vinyl?

sure it was 2.0L and not a 1.7L originally? dry.gif
jasons
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 28 2006, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Mar 28 2006, 12:08 PM)
My new car doesn't have sail panel vinyl and it appears it never did.  I reached under the fender up to where the trim clips usually poke through and it doesn't feel like they were shaved.  So this leads to my question, what cars didn't have sail panel vinyl?

sure it was 2.0L and not a 1.7L originally? dry.gif

I guess not. I (ass)ume it is because it has the console and it has front and rear sway bars. Motor is 2.0 with factory FI intact. It just doesn't seem that bastardized. The guy I got it from added 5 lugs and Fuchs plus bilsteins. All he said was that the PO before him had rebuilt the motor. Its entirely possible he rebuilt a 2.0 and swapped it into a 1.7 car.
davep
To answer your question, the non-appearance group cars did not have the vinyl. In addition the 1974 LE and GT cars did not have it either. It is possible that it was a delete option at the dealership, since most 73 2.0 cars were appearance group cars, and yours has most of the appearance group.
lapuwali
It's very hard to tell what the car originally came with, and what it didn't, unless you have some documentation for the car. Consoles are easily added (or removed). If you're careful, it's possible to remove the sail panel vinyl and leave no trace of what you've done. There's some bondo from the factory on non-vinyl cars, to hide the spot welds that attached the bits of the targa bar together. The trim holes at the base of the panel can be welded up and ground down so you'd be hard-pressed to tell they were ever there at all.

double-a
agree.gif

my car recently underwent full bodywork and paint, i had the trim holes filled and painted over. can't even tell the vinyl was there.

~a
Midtowner
My 73 2.0 is non-appearance group with original black bumpers but with a 3 gauge center console added later. Hinged armrests in doors are original as is the wiring for foglights but no switch. Sounds like your car has a few items added along the way. smile.gif
Midtowner
Umm, forgot to resize. Sorry. unsure.gif
914-8
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Mar 28 2006, 01:52 PM)
My 73 2.0 is non-appearance group with original black bumpers but with a 3 gauge center console added later. Hinged armrests in doors are original as is the wiring for foglights but no switch. Sounds like your car has a few items added along the way. smile.gif

I wonder if it was special ordered that way or changed over the years.

Appearance Group was standard, no charge, equipment on US '73 2.0.
DanT
QUOTE (Midtowner @ Mar 28 2006, 01:52 PM)
My 73 2.0 is non-appearance group with original black bumpers  but with a 3 gauge center console added later.  Hinged armrests in doors are original as is the wiring for foglights but no switch.  Sounds like your car has a few items added along the way. smile.gif

Hey Erik, did you get those SSIs on the car yet? wink.gif

I had a '73 2.0L with chrome bumpers, fog lights, console but no sail panel vinyl? As said previously, unless you have the complete history of the car, there is no telling what it originally came with. Did this stuff even show on the window sticker? As individual items. or only as a package?
Tobra
My car is a 1974 2.0 has painted bumpers, sail panel vinyl, F&R sway bars, fog lights, one horn and no console. I think all the cars were wired the same, with fog lights, two horns and all ready to just install. It makes a lot more sense to do it that way. Wire is a heck of a lot cheaper than labor.

hijacked.gif

BTW, do all the cars have a provision on the end of the swing arm for the sway bar end links(little ball), or is it a different part on the non-sway bar cars?
So.Cal.914

My 72 914 came with no options I think. No vinyl on sails. I got it in 82
and for along time I did not see another with no vinyl. They seem real popular now. Now I have as many options as I could get my hands on. And yes all the wiring was there.
jasons
I was able to read enough of the remains of the engine compartment sticker that is over the relay board, to see "ENGINE SIZE: 120". I am 99% sure my car was a factory 2.0. I am not sure it came with sail panel vinyl originally though. It has been repainted. But, I have felt up into the rear quarters to where the holes should have been for the trim. I can't feel anything that indicates the holes were filled. I think there would be some kind of bondo or weld lump.
tod914
What finish is the targa trim? chrome or black?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Midtowner, your car is wub.gif

My '73 was originally a 1.7 car but it came with the Appearance Package. The PO put in a 2.0L (GA) engine in it. But I'm on the fence as to keep the sail vinyl off or put new stuff back on. wacko.gif
jasons
QUOTE (tod914 @ Mar 28 2006, 06:33 PM)
What finish is the targa trim? chrome or black?

Targa trim has been sanded down to raw Al.
Midtowner
Dan: I saw a recent thread on cleaning stainless steel and currently spiffing up the SSI's but not to a perfect state. Thanks again! biggrin.gif
DanT
hijacked.gif Sorry

Erik,
Clean with solvent, light sanding with 1000grit and then buff with buffer and some blue cream metal polish...did my fuchs alloys that way and they turned out great. Also just used the metal polish and buffer on my Boxster SS sport muffler and you can see your reflection in it biggrin.gif

hijacked.gif over and out. biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
dry.gif
Got my 72 in August 72, just as the 2.0 73 was starting to come in. Specifically saw one at my dealer that had everything from the appearance group but the foglights, so I would guess that early 73 models could have had/not had parts that were in-supply/not in-supply at the time. I would get the Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche to make certain the 2.0 is original.

By the way, in the early years the App Group could & was sometimes installed by the dealership! The only thing they didn't replace was carpeting. Don't know if this was a universal treatment or one local to my oriinal dealership in Cincinnnati.
maf914
My 76 2.0 did not have the appearance group option but it came with vinyl sail panels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.