Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Its getting close to the time I need to consider race numbers for my car. What is the best bet for secure numbers that wount screw up my paint too badly?
race914
The economy solution is to

1) pick out the font you like on your computer
2) print out the size you need or enlarge it on a copier if needed
3) pick out the color shelve (contact) paper you like (OSH has it, etc.)
4) trace & cut out your numbers
5) wax your car before applying and/or stick the numbers on your jeans then on the car....

These numbers are made from shelve paper
DanT
Grant, If you plan on TTing and AXing with GGR/zone 7 on a regular basis, contact the TT and AX registrars. they have the lists of available numbers for their respective series. Most folks use the same number for both. Be sure the check with them because some of the numbers that show to be used are now available...so it never hurts to ask. If you get a Zone 7 number it should be good for all zone 7 AXs regardless of the region.
I went with graphics vinyl for my new car numbers. If you wax really well before application and keep them waxed once they are on, they should come off pretty easily.

single digits are nice but mighty hard to come by. wink.gif
Jeroen
contact Mike Z or Seanery
They can make you any number in vinyl (which doesn't mess up yer paint job)
J P Stein
I like the magnetic numbers for AX.
My sails have no bondo biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
Sean (Seanery here) did my numbers. They don't come off but I like it. Not like teh 914 doesn't get enough attention as it is,,but wow look at the car with numbers. rolleyes.gif
Racing916
I use magnets, you can get them at soloracer.com and get numbers pretty cheap. The numbers are vinyl and you can take them on and off.
turboman808
I just put in for permanent numbers with the M club about 30 minutes ago. Gonna have to make some myself once they assign one.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Racing916 @ Mar 28 2006, 05:29 PM)
I use magnets, you can get them at soloracer.com and get numbers pretty cheap. The numbers are vinyl and you can take them on and off.

You know that picture is true torture for me! My car should be sprayed tommorrow.
DanT
yah Grant, your car is going to look very much like that.
Should be very nice....
SirAndy
magnets won't schtick to my car. tried it, didn't work ...

so, i got sean to make me a set of these ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Joseph Mills
Grant- I've had good luck with mag vinyl.

First I tried a circle with the numbers printed inside of it. However, at speed they would tend to peel back. You've probably seen some like this with masking tape on the front side. Not a very cool look. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I just went to cutout numbers and they work great. They store under the hood when not in use so you always have them and they are stored nice and flat.

I've done 100 mile trips at upper speeds and they have never fallen off or peeled back.

If you get caught in the rain, you will need to remove them before the car dries or you will have some light buffing to do. Other than that they do no harm to your paint.

I had black printed on white vinyl to save money and cut them out myself.
seanery
The important thing to remember when using magnetic numbers is to keep the magnetic side very clean, any dirt and gunk on the magnet side will scratch your paint.
Racing916
Hey Grant,

What color are you painting your car? Mine is Riviera Blue which is based off a 1995 911 cover. It looks closer to olympic blue in the pictures but my camera always over exposes. enjoy your car.

Steve
grantsfo
QUOTE (Racing916 @ Mar 29 2006, 05:06 AM)
Hey Grant,

What color are you painting your car? Mine is Riviera Blue which is based off a 1995 911 cover. It looks closer to olympic blue in the pictures but my camera always over exposes. enjoy your car.

Steve

Yes mine will be Olympic Blue, but similar look with top painted and black center wheels. However no 916 nose and black bumpers.
Joe Ricard
JP that thar pic of you driving the Shit box. I think your head is too tall for you bar. You still got stock seats or something?
Joe Bob
Magnetics are a pain....they most times need a duct tape for the leading edge or they will sail off in the wind.

Best bet for numbers is go down to kinkos and have them make up a bunch and take them off after every race if it's a streetable car or just leave them on all the time.

The edges of the numbers will attract gunk and the residual glue will leave behind can be removed with a little elbow grease and simple green.

I agree with the advise to wax underneath first....
campbellcj
Yup magnetics are OK for autox but they are a PITA (if even allowed) for high-speed tracks. Mine flew off at about 90mph one time and I DID have the leading edge taped! Part of the issue is they get kinda stiff when cold (it is often 20's-40's in the am at Willow) and don't sit totally flat on the doors...the slightest little wrinkle or bubble and WHOOSH they're gone.
Trekkor
I used magnetics all last year.
For a/x no tape. For the track I put clear packing tape on the leading edge.

No problems.

I did see a mag com off during a track day earlier in the month. It got hit by many cars until nothing was left of it.

I've committed to painted on, permanents now rolleyes.gif

I will be adding PCA a/x and tt classifications with vinyl. I had a magnetic piece painted and clear coated to match my car, so it should look "invisible" when stuck on.

KT
Trekkor
class stickers on my washing machine biggrin.gif

KT
McMark
You lost your circle Trekkor. confused24.gif
Trekkor
Yeah, I'll prolly cut it in half and just use the class# in the event I run. AX5 this weekend.

thanks for cutting the vinyl wink.gif

KT
SirAndy
AX5? how the heck did you sneak into AX5?

even with just the 2056 /4, i was already in AX3 ...

now i'm "GT-2R" for Timetrial and "AX3" for Autocross ...
unsure.gif Andy
grantsfo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 30 2006, 02:07 AM)
AX5? how the heck did you sneak into AX5?

even with just the 2056 /4, i was already in AX3 ...

now i'm "GT-2R" for Timetrial and "AX3" for Autocross ...
unsure.gif  Andy

Remember Trekkor runs all stock hoods, bumpers, etc, he has fairly narrow wheels and his displacement is low.

I think the better question is how do Steve N and Andrew B sneak into AX3? biggrin.gif Point system overlooks or doesnt really add too many points for a couple of significant weight reduction elements that are common on 914 AX cars. Oh well I will still have fun chasing their times and I can drive my car home on public roads if I choose. wink.gif

hijacked.gif
drew365
I used magnetics for two years, taping the front edge. Did a 180 at T9 at Willow and one side flew off and was autographed by all the other cars for the rest of the day. It's now on the wall of my garage and my numbers are vinyl. Yeah, I look like a boy racer when I drive on the street, but that's not too often. Actually, ricers tend to pull up along side to check out the car which is kind of funny.
Dave-O
One word...CIRCLES!

I too was sick of the magnetic numbers coming off. I thought this was a "classy" way to add numbers.

P.S. Can't wait to see the body work done! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.