Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bremtech Brakes ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whatabout1
Has anyone heard of Bremtech brakes ? (maybe Bremtec or tek or)

Supposed to have been made in the late 80's around the Denver area.

They look to be 4 piston Brembo turbo.... big really big...
Use Brembo pads.

I was told that they had a CNC and turned out a few sets.

Any info ?

thanks, bob

d914
big, porterfield has pads,or used to, had them on a race car...Pads are very thick....2 years of de's and didn't even show wear??!! parts hard to come by,,,,,,what esle do you need...
Mueller
a complete set just sold in the classifieds for about $300 or so....old school and not that big of a deal nowadays since there are more options and choices.....

more of a collectors item I'd say....
race914
You could run them front & back. I think they are 3" spacing...

Have seen some on rennlist in the past.
DanT
QUOTE (race914 @ Mar 28 2006, 04:48 PM)
You could run them front & back. I think they are 3" spacing...

Have seen some on rennlist in the past.

yah Greg,
then you could take off, or add, or get an adjustable bias valve biggrin.gif wink.gif laugh.gif
Whatever.....
Kind of in the same time as JFZs. 4 piston calipers...anyone remember Lockheed brakes...they were the bee's knees way back when. wacko.gif
turbo914v8
I use them on my 914. Never had a problem with them. Stops the car great. Best of all they bolt up with no problems, except no E break. ohmy.gif What else is new? wink.gif biggrin.gif
brant
the big thing about them is that they are made to fit on 3 inch caliper spacing....

I know many cars that run them.

did you buy the 76 ebay race car out of denver? It would of had them on.

anyways... the producer was George Maybee. A long time local racer.
He used to be into teeners until his original -6 was flipped by ferg's buddy. I've been to his house a few times and he is a pretty amazing guy. has a amateur machine shop in the barn out behind his house. Has a half dozen amazing car build projects in various stages of finished. Has multiple porsche diesel tractors too....

what do you need to know.
they are legitimate and real.
I believe that originally they were fitted with custom aluminum hubs (mueller hub prototypes, that allowed vented rotors onto 4 bolt cars)

In fact I remember a conversation with Brad that these may have been the genesis Idea for the current mueller hubs.

brant

brant
Mueller
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 28 2006, 10:52 PM)
the big thing about them is that they are made to fit on 3 inch caliper spacing....

I know many cars that run them.

did you buy the 76 ebay race car out of denver? It would of had them on.

anyways... the producer was George Maybee. A long time local racer.
He used to be into teeners until his original -6 was flipped by ferg's buddy. I've been to his house a few times and he is a pretty amazing guy. has a amateur machine shop in the barn out behind his house. Has a half dozen amazing car build projects in various stages of finished. Has multiple porsche diesel tractors too....

what do you need to know.
they are legitimate and real.
I believe that originally they were fitted with custom aluminum hubs (mueller hub prototypes, that allowed vented rotors onto 4 bolt cars)

In fact I remember a conversation with Brad that these may have been the genesis Idea for the current mueller hubs.

brant

brant

Hey Brant,

yes, you are correct the "billet" hubs had been brought about by the lack of new Bremtech hubs being available....I have never seen one in person or even a picture of one, my design was just a marriage of the 911 rotor and the 914 rotor..I would like to get a hold of an original hub just to check out...

reproducing the 3" calipers had been discussed by another member here but liability concerns put an end to it....

it is odd that no one else made 3" spacing 4 pot calipers, my guess is that once the 3.5" spacing struts came more available, people just used that setup instead and made the demand for the Bremtech stuff less and less.....

Anyone know what the Bremtech calipers and hubs sold for brand new???

VegasRacer
Were all your questions about Bremtek calipers answered Bob?
Anything else you want to know?

I have a set of 4. You gotta have custom pads made. I did recently find a guy in Colorado who had a bunch of sets of seals made, so now I can get the parts and rebuild 'em.
LvSteveH
Rub it in John... rub it in. Just imagine how much cooler your old race care would be sitting there with those brakes on it. Of course the key word there is "sitting".
Aaron Cox
one day id like a set of those wub.gif

parts are hard to find from what i gather, and what john says above.....

havent seen any JFZ's in a while either.......

nowdays, you are better off with some fat wilwoods or the like
brant
Mike,

I'll talk to george at the PCA event he is hosting in June.
I'll ask him if you can see one of his hubs...

or at the minimum I'll try and get lots of pictures of one of his hubs.

I helped a buddy back in 1992-ish do track repair on one of these hubs...

they had a tendency to pull the wheel studs out.
(and that could have been a fluke thing, but I think it happened twice to this guy)

other than that, they worked pretty well.

brant
Mueller
QUOTE (brant @ Mar 29 2006, 11:20 AM)
Mike,

I'll talk to george at the PCA event he is hosting in June.
I'll ask him if you can see one of his hubs...

or at the minimum I'll try and get lots of pictures of one of his hubs.

I helped a buddy back in 1992-ish do track repair on one of these hubs...

they had a tendency to pull the wheel studs out.
(and that could have been a fluke thing, but I think it happened twice to this guy)

other than that, they worked pretty well.

brant

the wheel stud issue was a concern...curious what material he used...ours are 7075..most all other hubs out there are 6061 (stock 911 are cast, most likely 356)
Eric_Shea
barn out behind his house

Kind of an understatement isn't it?? biggrin.gif
brant
hey Eric,

since your missing our track event...
you want to come to george's event and drive a porsche tractor in the dirt autox ?

(schlepper cross they call it)
BMartin914
Brant,

When is Gmund this year? Did George and Sharon host it last year? The summer kind of flew by and I never heard anything about it and it wasn't on the RMR PCA calendar.

I'd like to make it out there again this year.
brant
The didn't have Gmund last year.
turned it into a bi-annual event.

put it into your calendar for this year!
6/25/06
smdubovsky
I have Bremteks calipers on my -6. They use a Stockcar 4-3/4" pad from porterfield. Same size as several AP, Outlaw, and Wilwood calipers.

http://www.speedtoys.com/catalog02-Metro.pdf
Go to page 10 (Note: never used them, just the first websearch hit I turned up)

Brad told me the rebuild kits are readily avail? (If not, then I better get a set now.)

SMD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.