Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 question about engine and transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
ok, so this may be a stupid question but it pondered me during class. If you took the engine and transmission out of a 911, say the 915 transmission, and in the 911 the axles turned clockwise, therefore turning the wheels foward...
But if you were to flip it around, to put into a 914, the transmission would now be spinning the wheels counter-clockwise.

I think I must be missing a big issue. I am just curious, as I am trying to build up a knowledge of a 6 conversion. Please dont rip on me that much!!
wacko.gif
messix
your absolutely right!

915 and 930 trannys need to have the ring gear "flipped" to the other side of the pinion to spin the right way.
901 trnnys come both ways for 911 and 914 .
malaga_red75
thanks, that makes me feel satisfied, that i am gaining knowledge. is there any preferance over the 915,930 or keeping the stock 901. I am really hoping to put in a early to mid 90's motor in, it is a dream of mine. I know if i put in a newer motor i cant keep the stock 901, becuase the motor would just rip the tranny up. Is the newer motor, a much more difficult conversion than the earlier 911 engines
messix
901 trannys will take 300hp as long as you don't use or are easy on first gear.
915 i think take some machining to flip and 930 are big bucks to begin with.
McMark
agree.gif

It's usually preferred to stay 901 until you recover from buying the engine and doing the swap. By then you've had some driving time and can decide how you like it and how much more you want to spend.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 29 2006, 02:09 AM)
It's usually preferred to stay 901 until you recover from buying the engine and doing the swap. By then you've had some driving time and can decide how you like it and how much more you want to spend.

agree.gif
brant
The newer motors are not that much more difficult...
(one issue is that the 3.6L motors don't have an oil cooler built onto the motor so they do require an aux cooler to be installed)

The tranny's are mostly more difficult becaue they have to be opened up... flipped internally... and the stock shift linkages will not work with them.

People usually fabricate their own linkages or buy kits.
there are even cable shifter kits out there. I understand its a little tricky to fabricate, and I think cable kits add another 700-ish + labor to the conversion...

(plus you can add Wevo's and easily end up with 5K into your converted 915 or 930 tranny)

brant

Hydra
thanks, that makes me feel satisfied, that i am gaining knowledge.

now that you've gained knowledge, start gaining money, cuz it won't be cheap....$$$$$$$$$$$
I am really hoping to put in a early to mid 90's motor in, it is a dream of mine

isn't it everyone's dream? wink.gif
good luck,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.