Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easily & visually find difference 'tween engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Let's say you and your buddies come across a pile of stock T4 engines (VW and Porsche), what are some easy ways to know what size the engine is? For example, all 1.8 and 2.0 engines have 3 studs to hold the intakes to the head while the 1.7 uses four. That's just an example and I'm not 100% positive that's correct but you get the idea. Thanks!
Mueller
914 four bangers:

1.7/1.8 4 bolt heads (same stroke, different bore)

2.0 3 bolt heads

to further confuse things, all the heads can be swapped around (1.7 heads need to be opened up a little)
dstar
No, that isn't correct, cause someone could have switched the heads!
Same goes for case numbas......could be anything!

The best way is to look at the rods, but by the time you pull the cyls to have a look, you could have measured the stroke and the piston!

All engines are cores.......unless they are in a driving vehicle and you can test them.......
biggrin.gif

Don

lapuwali
2.0 Bus heads have four bolts, so even the 1.7/1.8 four, 2.0 three metric doesn't work universally.

There are no "Porsche" Type 4s. They're all VW. The heads on the 914 2.0 and 912E were only used on those cars, and the pistons are also different, but they're still VW engines.

You need to be able to ID individual parts. The cases are all the same. There are two factory cranks (66 and 71mm stroke), and several aftermarket cranks. There are at least four different factory heads.

Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 29 2006, 11:37 AM)
There are no "Porsche" Type 4s. They're all VW.

I know but that's how we differentiate between the two smile.gif
dstar
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 29 2006, 11:37 AM)
The cases are all the same

A factory Porsche case that came with the oil temp sender in the
taco plate has a machined out spot inside the case, clearancing for the sender if you will.

Bus cases never got that spot clearanced/touched.

Don
r_towle
If I came accross a pile of motors, I would look at the serial numbers and the heads.

the serial numbers will give you a good idea what it is.
On a 1.7 or 1.8, if it was rebuilt, it did not get smaller...so your safe.

On a 2.0 liter..ditto.

The serial numbers, an educated guess as to if the case has never been open..there are signs to look for...30 year old grease, just a basic look of a stock motor...a rebuild will have been cleaned..so there you go.

Rich
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (dstar @ Mar 29 2006, 11:11 AM)
No, that isn't correct, cause someone could have switched the heads!
Same goes for case numbas......could be anything!

Which is why I said stock. Yeah, we know that stuff happens. We had a [running] Bus come in that had a 1.7 head on one side and a 2.0 head on the other. Neither one was modified... screwy.gif
dstar
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 29 2006, 11:41 AM)
...a rebuild will have been cleaned..so there you go.

Rich

NOT if you got it from STROM-TURD!
stromberg.gif

av-943.gif

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.