Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How long can you leave it in...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sherman1
OK, minds outta the gutter !

We're talking gasoline in the 914 tank - How long can a 1/4 -1/2 tank of gas sit in the tank, while the car is in storage, or under restoration (whatever) before it turns bad & begins to look like old varnish?

I know I can drain the gas out, into 5 gallon containers, but I wanted to avoid that if possible.

I figured about 4-5 months before it begins to go bad, but not sure.
How about using a gas-additive, or octane boost?
Any gas experts here? laugh.gif

Thanks!

beerchug.gif
ninefourteener
I don't think 4 or 5 months should really be an issue at all...... I think it takes a great deal longer than that for gas to go bad.

When I went to Korea, I left my Tans Am up on jackstands for a year... with a full tank of gas.

I came back. put some fresh oil in it, manually turned the crankshaft a few times to cycle the oil through, and cranked it right up!

My 914 has for a good 2-3 months this past winter. I cranked it up about 5 weeks ago for about 5 minutes, but then turned it off again.. no issues whatsoever.
ArtechnikA
today's gasoline is very volatile. it's past its prime in weeks, definitely sub-par in months. adding StaBil (FLAPS item) will help a lot.

i still have a few gallons of Ultra-94 in the tank of my '71 911E that's been out of service since summer. it was treated with StaBil when parked and i drain a couple-3 gallons every couple of weeks and add it to the tank of an 87-octane capable car. it's definitely not the same gas i put in originally, but it runs ok.

put in the StaBil, run the engine several minutes to make sure you get treated fuel through the whole fuel loop and into the injectors. having preserved fuel in the tank is not as helpful as you'd like if the pump, pressure regulator, and injectors go gummy on you...

octane booster isn't good for much, including raising octane...
Gary#
I use Por-15 Fuel Preservative & Stabilizer both in my boat & my 914.
I've experienced no problems biggrin.gif
When you pour Fuel Preservative & Stabilizer in your tank, oxygen is chemically isolated (preventing oxidation) and corrosive compounds are neutralized (stopping rust formation).
When fuel sits for days or weeks at a time it breaks down chemically. Bad fuel can cause problems in your fuel system. Our special dispenser bottle will measure exactly for you with no waste. Contains NO alcohol. Use 1oz. per 3 gallons for normal maintenance, or 1oz. per gallon to thoroughly clean your fuel system.

This product is a must for the recreational boater!

# 4 oz. treats up to 12 gallons
# Pint treats up to 48 gallons
# Quart treats up to 96 gallons

*Collector Vechicles *Lawn Equipment *RV's *ATV's *Snowmobiles *Boats
# All gas/diesel engines - 2 or 4 cycle
# Keeps fuel fresh 2 years & more
# Cleans fuel lines
# Stops corrosion
Joe Ricard
I agree with Rich. Gas goes bad relatively quickly. I try to burn off as much as possible during the week. and if I plan to let it sit in the garage for a week I burn enough for the light to come on. then fill it up with fresh gas before and event.
sherman1
Great info, thanks guys!!

I will look into either the StaBil or the POR-15, as it sounds like that's what I need.

Best,
Ken
Joe Ricard
Well, I had a large amount of gas left over from my Hurricane preparedness stash. 50 gallons. Put the appropriate amount of fule stabilizer in it.
4 months later I used most of it in my Explorer. icon8.gif
the rest sat for another few months till I drained the tank into 5 gallon cans. one for lawn mower and another for weed eaters and such.

Even the Lawnmower runs like shit. I WOULD NEVER PUT THIS IN MY 914.

Rob Watson can tell you about fuel problems steming from old gas. Not even "that old" rebuilt both crabs and replaced fuel pump.

Just drain it. refill it with good gas and flush the lines when yu are ready to put it back on the road.
jd74914
The last time I drained a tank (the gas was like a year or 2 old), it had started going bad but was good enough that I just put it in a gas can and mixed it with fresh gas and put that in my lawnmower. It took a few months to get rid of it, but none was wasted. wink.gif
fitsbain
My teener has gas that has been in the tank for 9 years.

Anyone want to see if it will even burn?

HEHEHE
sherman1
9 years in the tank...? smilie_pokal.gif

Must be a new record...is it solid yet?
watsonrx13
Well, I just purchased a car that hadn't run in over 2 years. I don't know when the fuel was filled, but I decided to drain everything, test and clean the injectors, then try and start the car. Here's what the fuel looked like after I drained it....

BTW, I will agree with Joe, I wouldn't let the car sit too long without actually running the engine for several minutes, or drive it around the block. After Joe cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, I have since added the POR-15 fuel additive so that it won't breakdown as quickly....

-- Rob

kpex914
gas goes stale after 60 days. use Stabil to keep it fresh!!
Michael Oberg
A few months ago I helped dig my parent's '79 Dodge Powerwagon out of its 9 year old spot next to their barn. I took out all the plugs, squirted some oil into each cylinder, installed a new battery, and cranked it over a few times. Replaced the plugs, and it started right up! Huge amount of white smoke from burning off the oil, but we let it run until it ran out of gas.

Not to say that letting gas sit for 9 years is recommended, but I was surprised that the fuel lines and carb weren't so gunked up with gelled fuel that it would render it inoperable. Granted, I haven't yet taken off the carb and actually inspected it (or the tank, for that matter).

Still, that doesn't exactly answer the question about how long a single tank should reasonably sit without a stabilizer. confused24.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I store my 914 from Nov. to March every yr. I fill the tank add the correct amount of Staybil. In march engine starts right up, I run out 1/2 of the tank then top it off . It runs poorly untill i mix 1/2 a tank of fresh gas. I do it that way to prevent rust in the tank over the winter. My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Michael Oberg @ Mar 29 2006, 11:51 PM)
A few months ago I helped dig my parent's '79 Dodge Powerwagon out of its 9 year old spot...

it;s important to note *all* the conditions.

sure, there are stories of old gas lasting. but gas was a lot different - much less volatile - "only" 10 years ago. the current question involves contemporary gasoline.

second - sure - lots of people - including me - successfully store gasoline over the winter in cold climates. a cold climate winter is a far different environment than a summer in California where the original poster is located.

last - 9 years is nowhere close to the record :-) ... my yellow car had almost a full tank when it had its track incident in 1981. when i drained what was left - in 2005 - it was more like varnish and stank quite badly...
sherman1
[QUOTE]store gasoline over the winter in cold climates. a cold climate winter is a far different environment than a summer in California where the original poster is located.[QUOTE]

So, Rich you're saying the mild climate of CA has less negative affect on stored gas than the extreme & harsh Midwest/Eastern climates? Maybe that's why we live longer out here...except on the freeways.

BTW - congrats on your 24 year old gas record. I'll bet that stuff looked & smelled like stromberg.gif

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (sherman1 @ Mar 30 2006, 12:27 PM)
So, Rich you're saying the mild climate of CA has less negative affect on stored gas than the extreme & harsh Midwest/Eastern climates?

quite the opposite.

it's (kinda...) like meat. lasts a long time in your refrigerator. not very long in a hot summer garage.

heat is the enemy - drives off all the "light ends" our contemporary gas has so much of. (leaving you with sludge.)

so the guiys getting away with storing fuel for a "long" time are doing it over a cold winter - but you are talking about doing it over a hot summer.

if the vision of plugged lines, pumps, regulators, and injectors weren't bad enough, consider the effect when the varnish holds an intake valve open long enough for a piston to smack it.

common scenario. "wonder if this'll start? hey - runs pretty good - let's go for a drive!" 20-50 miles down the road - when the heads get hot and the varnish starts building up - tick tick tick TICK CLUNK *BANG*.

your call...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.