Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinkin of buyin a 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Strongly considering putting a 3.0 in my 73 914. I've been looking at prices of engines, front ends and Fuchs. These parts alone will likely cost at least $4500 - $5500. If I can pick up a running 75,000 mile 1980 911 SC for $7000, does it make sense to do it?

What else besides the engine, front end and the Fuchs can I use on my 914?

How likely am I to recoup $2500 by selling the remaining 911 stuff?
machina
Even if the eleven does have only 75,000 miles, which I doubt for $7k, you are taking a big gamble on that motor. It may last a few years before breaking or it may give it up tommorrow.

Are you a gambling man?

dr
TheCabinetmaker
Low mileage, 80 SC, $7K?
Keep it and drive it.
rick 918-S
I say buy it! Beat the guy up on the price if you can. You may get $ 2500.00 back on the shell, There are people looking for crash parts and interior stuff, trans axle, etc. You could do pretty fair if you have space to store the parts while you wait to recover the cash. Plus you can sell the 4 cyl. from your car. You can use the master cylinder. also rear axles with those adaptor things. Someone must know if the rear calipers bolt on with 914 vented rotors. tach, etc.
J P Stein
Gud plan smile.gif
seanery
I met a guy a couple months ago that was looking for an SC shell for his crashed race car in Anderson.

I can give you his name & number.
fiid
You could put that spare 1.7 motor and all your old 914 bits on it and sell it as a running car that looks like a 911 - I bet some kid/granny would pick it up and be happy - I can hear them boasting about the fuel economy.

I'm not sure how much I am joking. It would be pretty funny smile.gif 912SC

Fiid.
TimT
If you buy a mid 70's 911 non-sunroof coupe. and take the swapable stuff for your 914... Ill take the tub in a sec....provided its not bent..
Red-Beard
TIM: How about a 1974 Targa shell?
ss6
Go for it, especially if you can get a good deal on your donor car. I followed this approach (though my donor was a t-boned wreck), and was able to use:

engine
main harness
gauges
5 lug front suspension, complete
collapsible spare
auxiliary heater motors
main heater blower
front brake calipers
rear brake calipers and e-brake components
rear rotors (if they're OK)
wheels and tires (may need to flare the teener)

Stuff from the 911 I was able to part out and sell:
seats
dashpad
sun visors
carpet kit
oil tank
steering components
shift linkage
exhaust system
transmission
left over gauges
rear control arms
window glass
chassis tub or cut-ups

Selling my "leftovers" (including the running 2.0 I removed from the teener), paid for my donor car. Sell as much as you can over the net first, then take what's left to the Porsche swap meet of your choice (usually a buyers market there).

Two huge advantages to the donor car approach: you'll likely get history on your motor, and you can do a righteous PPI of the entire car, ie see the motor run, smell it, drive it, leak-down test it, eyeball the PO, etc, which you likely would NOT be able to do buying an "orphaned" motor. Second, you will have access to loads of parts that you didn't realize you need until you're sitting in the middle of your garage cussing.
anthony
I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing. If you've got the time/space to part out a car it sounds like a good way to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.