Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
m_davidson
I am putting a 2.4L 911 engine in a 1972 914 but need a muffler. The catalogs show two types (1965-73 and 1974) of 2-in/1-out 911 mufflers which differ only in the shape of the tailpipes. Either will bolt to my headers, but which type best fits the 1972 and later short 914 valance with a cut-away but not a hole for the tailpipe? Anybody know?

Mel
914Sixer
The difference is in the way the exhaust tip is bent. They exited differently because of the bumper change between 73 to crash bumpers of 74. I picked up a later SS one with the intent of bending the tip to fit the short valance. Either one will work you just have to modify. Hope this helps.
m_davidson
Thanks, Mark. I've temporarily installed a borrowed '74-type 911 muffler that works but is not bent quite right. Does anyone know if the earlier 1965-73 type fits better? I might as well start out with the closer fit of the two styles.

Anybody had any experience with the M&K sport mufflers on a 914-6?

Mel
Porsche Rescue
Early style fits fine and exits through notch in late 914 rear valance.
736conver
Mel,

If your interested in the MK Mufflers let me know. I am a distributor of them, the cheapest too. I am not sure if you have seen the post in the resource section.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=47028
There is a couple of photo's up there. Also here's a picture of my car with the MKExhaust. The valance isnt mounted on as it still needs to go out for paint but you get the idea.
m_davidson
Thanks for the help but I jumped the gun and ordered a Dansk Sport muffler for the early (1965-73) 911. It fitted my '72 914-6 conversion perfectly.
m_davidson
Whoops, my attempt at attachig a picture of an early (1965-73) 911 muffler in a 914-6 didn't work.Here is try #2.

MelClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.