Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
what does the TPS act like when it is going out??

I still am chasing a bad hesitation/ miss and lack of pwer until 2700.

By the way the car acts it seems like an elect. issue.
pfierb
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 30 2006, 12:17 AM)

Mine started to skip at a STEADY 2000rpm replaced the tps no help.Replaced the plugs,wires,dist.cap,points and condenser presto no more skipping.
Take the tps apart and see if there is bad scoring on the contact arc if there is that could be the problem.
McMark
TPS is a possibility. So are a lot of other things.

My experience (others will disagree with me) is that you should drop the stock FI now, and invest money into an aftermarket FI system like MegaSquirt.
toon1
QUOTE (pfierb @ Mar 29 2006, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 30 2006, 12:17 AM)

Mine started to skip at a STEADY 2000rpm replaced the tps no help.Replaced the plugs,wires,dist.cap,points and condenser presto no more skipping.
Take the tps apart and see if there is bad scoring on the contact arc if there is that could be the problem.

invest money into an aftermarket FI system like MegaSquirt. [QUOTE]

The TPS looks ok, actually almost new but there's alway's that possibility.

I will be going to megasquirt but it will be a while. I want to keep the car drivalble.
bd1308
my trigger point connections ( 3 pin at dizzy) was corroded and I had a HORRIBLE and HUGE bogging from 1200 to 2000 RPM.

timing maybe too. or mps going back, causing it to run real rich?

b
JeffBowlsby
To answer your question, this from Brad Anders excellent webpage:

Function: Senses throttle opening (not closing), sending pulse signals to the ECU to richen the mixture for acceleration. Also senses when the throttle is closed at idling, sending a signal to the ECU to provide idle mixture compensation. Also sends a signal at wide-open-throttle, but this signal is not used by the ECU for full-load enrichment, which is handled by the Manifold Pressure Sensor.
Failure Modes:  Track Wear: Over time, the wiper track for the accelerator function will wear. Wear will be especially high at moderate to light throttle angles, corresponding to  part-load cruising. Click here for a link to a 60X photo of accelerator track wear. While this TPS track is still good, the re-deposition of gold worn from the contact fingers by the wiper can be seen, and eventually will become sufficient to bridge the traces. This wear causes arcing and poor contact, resulting in the car "bucking" at a constant throttle angle. "Bucking" is a fairly common complaint and is almost always due to track wear. Check by disconnecting the harness plug to the throttle switch and driving at a constant throttle angle under part-load. If the bucking is gone, it's due to the swtich.  
Maladjustment: The throttle switch needs to be precisely aligned to ensure that the idle switch is properly actuated, and that the full extent of acceleration is covered over the range of operation. Poor idle performance and transition to full-load are affected if the switch is maladjusted. The Pelican Parts web site has a very good article on how adjust the switch, using an ohmmeter.  

Notes: The car will still run even if the throttle switch is removed! It will accelerate slowly, and the idle may be poor, but it will run. Proper adjustment of the throttle switch is critical. If the idle switch does not actuate when the throttle is closed, the idle circuit in the ECU will not be activated and poor idle performance will result. Additionally, cars with ECU's that provide over-run fuel shutoff will not shut off the fuel if the idle switch isn't actuated when the throttle is closed while coasting. Proper adjustment of the throttle is also important. If the throttle cable and pedal stop are not properly adjusted so that the throttle is completely open when the throttle is fully depressed, fewer acceleration pulses will be provided to the ECU for acceleration enrichment, and you'll be restricting your full-throttle input, reducing horsepower.

I recently found out about two products that can be used on the contact tracks to extend their life. Deoxit D-5 cleans and leaves a lubricating film. It's available from CAIG Laboratories ( http://www.caig.com ). Another similar product is Stabilant 22 (VW part # ZVW 186001, Car Quest # SL-5). To use, you must open the throttle switch - be careful, there are some rubber positioning blocks that may fall out. Spray the contact track area and use a Q-tip to remove any excess.

More here: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetp...tm#troubleshoot
toon1
forgot about checking the Brad Anders site, I have the pennington book it's good but limited.

Thank's Jeff
olav

Did you see the memo?

You need to fill out a TPS report.
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 30 2006, 01:32 AM)
TPS is a possibility. So are a lot of other things.

My experience (others will disagree with me) is that you should drop the stock FI now, and invest money into an aftermarket FI system like MegaSquirt.

To help you move in the MS direction....I'm going to give an older MS that was given to me. KenH was going to use it but I guess he's going to use carbs or a different aftermarket FI.

I pass by LLNL everyday on my work...we can meet up for a coffee in the morning or later on in the day....lemme know....
toon1
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 30 2006, 08:25 AM)
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 30 2006, 01:32 AM)
TPS is a possibility.  So are a lot of other things.

To help you move in the MS direction....I'm going to give an older MS that was given to me. KenH was going to use it but I guess he's going to use carbs or a different aftermarket FI.

I pass by LLNL everyday on my work...we can meet up for a coffee in the morning or later on in the day....lemme know....

that is an offer I can't refuse

Sending PM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.