Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk won't close with the roof inside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JJ914
Hey why wont my trunk close all the way with the roof inside. It closes up just fine with a empty trunk. Everything seems to fit in it place OK like front clips and the rear rubber things. Any suggestions. screwy.gif
nomore9one4
try turning the roof around.it may be in backwards. Otherwise, get that body out of there! lol2.gif
KELTY360
Put some more air in the rear tires. It will raise the car enough so the top will fit. cool.gif cool.gif

Marc
JJ914
WOW!! I can always count on the club for indepth technical advise pray.gif
Allan
It goes in the rear trunk... biggrin.gif
914-8
push down harder
drewvw

went through the same thing last weekend. I rotated the top around and it worked fine.
Joe Ricard
Actually, there is a very small bit of "wiggle room" for the top.
If you look there is an indentation in each tail light housing for the corners of the roof to sit in.
The Front latches go in the plastic cups but it is also required to turn the plastic flip handles outboard.
rmital
same problem with my 914....looking forward to getting off the jack stands, then I'll figure out how to store the targa top.

....but in the mean time, let me know what you come up with.
dlee1967
I am tempted to answer in a similar fashion, but will not......

I have seen that the rear rubber keepers can be swapped from side to side and this may hold the top up just enough to rub the rear trunk bracing. They are designed with the slot at a slight angle to match the top curve. This was the case with one of my cars. Let me know if this is it.........

Oh yeah....and you can fit more than one body in the trunk with the top if you have a chain saw and a strong stomach.........
aircooledboy
There is very little clearance between the top and the trunk lid, so even a little bit of error can make it tough to close your trunk.

1) Make sure the cups for the front latches are turned so the deepest part is up, and make sure the plastic part of the latch is turned as Joe described
2) There is room for the top to move about 3/8" side to side even when in all 4 holders. If you are off center, not only will you miss the clearance spot on the tail lights, but the side of the top can hit the wheel hump and push it up a hair. Make sure you are centered on the tail lights as Joe described.

beerchug.gif
HarveyH
I had the same problem a while back. I had replaced the roof side rubber with repro from AA. Found the repro rubber is significantly harder (and I think thicker walled) than OEM, so the panel seated higher against the sides of the shock mounts when in the trunk. Got an OEM set from GPR, and found the roof seats much better. Still requires precise fitting into the clips, but the trunk now closes.
Harvey
Midtowner
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Mar 30 2006, 06:57 AM)
I am tempted to answer in a similar fashion, but will not......

I have seen that the rear rubber keepers can be swapped from side to side and this may hold the top up just enough to rub the rear trunk bracing. They are designed with the slot at a slight angle to match the top curve. This was the case with one of my cars. Let me know if this is it.........

Oh yeah....and you can fit more than one body in the trunk with the top if you have a chain saw and a strong stomach.........

Exactly what David said. Also, the rubber clips have slightly slotted mounting holes. Try loosening then reposition. biggrin.gif
maf914
The top is a close fit in the trunk. When I press the the lid closed with the roof in the trunk there is a slight resistance as the latch catches. Over the years the stiffening ribs on the underside of the trunk lid have worn through the textured coating on the rear edge of the roof in two spots. mad.gif
Tobra
My roof has those same wear marks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.