Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 914 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qball
Just bought my first 914 and wanted to check in..
Need a couple of opinions, have a chance to pick up a nice set bumpers to back date the heavy 75 rubbers. Now, the car is what I would consider a survivor, 52,xxx mi orig mi, orig int. and paint all in nice shape. I'm I ruining it ? Comming from a corvette backround a survivor car is often worth more than a nicely restored one, the the same hold true for the 914? Or should I just set it up the way I want? beerchug.gif
I have a 75 that I backdated the bumpers. I say make it the way you want it. Mine was originally copper metallic. Apparently a rare color. Rare or not, I didn't like it so I changed it. Purists be damned!!

welcome.png
MoveQik
I should mention however, some drilling and cutting is required so you should consider that if your paint is in really good condition. Just an FYI. If you do a search, there is a pretty good thread on what is involved and it has some pics in it for you to see it all.
Mueller
Welcome to da club smile.gif

The bumper swap is a common mod, it all depends on the next prospective buyer on how it affects the re-sale value.

It is something that can be reveresed later on down the road, but not too easily since you'll be cutting off some of the metal trim (it'll be obvious when you remove the bumpers)

Huff
I have a 1975 2.0L and really like the look of the bumpers, but it is personal preference I guess. If you are wanting to be a purist, keep the original bumpers. If you are worried about the weight, there are some past threads about pulling out the steel beam behind the rubber bumper and replacing it with a piece of aluminum.

It is purely your choice, but I like the 75-76 bumpers! There are a few of us still out there.

Huff
messix
some cars look pretty good with the late bumpers. but as far as i know the 75-76 cars rank fairly low on desired car list. so unless this car is very very nice, no sheet metal problems, rust or crash damage i would say go for what you want.
messix
heres mine
messix
nother
Qball
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to AX her this season the way she is , Buy the bumpers for a winter project, I can always sell them if I decide not to go that route.
messix
you can always take them off for a/x, two bolts and the fog light wire disconnect if you got em. easy as billit ti connecting rods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.