Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
HID, xenon, halogen, projector beams, LED, etc., etc.

Please share any info you have, or links to useful websites you know of...

Looking for explanations of how the different types work.
Which kinds are the most efficient (brightest, least power consuming)?
Which kinds just need 12v, and which kinds need additional control boxes (or whatever you call them)?
Which kinds are the most compact?
What is the absolute smallest light you've seen (type and size) that I could get away with for low beam headlights?

I have read about LED headlights lights being introduced. Has anyone seen any yet?

There are some amazingly small driving lights these days. What are their characteristics? Narrower beam? Project farther? Are these too bright to have on in traffic?

Which types tend to be the cheapest, and most expensive? I've seen some prices on HIDs that are way out of my range.

Thanks gang.
Joe Bob
If you looking for well priced, that FIT in a 914, are the brightest....H-4s....GPR has them and you can get brighter/higher wattage bulbs....anything over 80w will need a relay to help on the old wiring.
drew365
How does 80w compare to our stock headlights? I would like to eliminate the motors and doors and put some small rectangular lights under glass someday.
turboman808
If you don't mind spending some money you may just want to go for hid lights. Gonna give you the best results. Just make sure you do it right so I don't get out of my car and threathen you bash them in with a hammer. The Project 914x looks like it will have a pretty slick setup, may want to take a look.

If you don't want to go that route you could try and go with something like the hella free form. They put out alot of light for what they are.

I have experiemented with alot of bulbs and honestly feel those super white type bulbs don't do a thing. Even at 130 watts they don't light as well as a regular 55 watt.

I do like selective yellow bulbs though. I use them for my brights and fogs. I just feel they light better.

Relays are always a good idea.
Zaney
I too am pondering a headlight upgrade in the future.
Everyone talks about adding a relay but, where does it go and what does it consist of?
I have seen the headlight relay that PP sells but what else do you need to run higher juice bulbs?

I have found these: headlights and relay
at 9xauto.com.

Also, what does the Euro turn signal kit consist of as well? Sorry for hijacked.gif

Thanks,

Nate beer.gif
Rand
Part of my plan is to get rid of the pop-up headlights... goodbye motors and gap troubles! Shave the hood corners. Mount new lights just below the hood lip in the new custom front bumper.

I would like the most compact headlights that are the best bang for buck.

Thanks for the input so far guys! Narrowing things down.

Would appreciate any comments on questions in my first post that haven't been addressed yet.
shaggy
i use sillivian silver stars

they are like $50 each
but they are bright as hell
the lows are about as bright as the stock highs

-shag
gklinger
QUOTE (Zaney @ Mar 30 2006, 10:19 PM)
I too am pondering a headlight upgrade in the future.
Everyone talks about adding a relay but, where does it go and what does it consist of?
I have seen the headlight relay that PP sells but what else do you need to run higher juice bulbs?

There's some good info on rewiring headlights here: Wiring help

They also sell the H4 upgrade, and are good people to deal with.
ws91420
QUOTE (shaggy @ Mar 31 2006, 01:54 AM)
i use sillivian silver stars

they are like $50 each
but they are bright as hell
the lows are about as bright as the stock highs

-shag

Where the heck are you buying them? At my work they are $19.98 a bulb so for two under fifty bucks with tax.

That said I agree with the Sylvania Silver Stars. They make a sealed beam style that fits our cars.
double-a
i bought a pair of euro spec hella h4s from fast forward automotive in canada.

~a
neo914-6
Have you read my HID thread? wink.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 30 2006, 07:50 PM)
The Project 914x looks like it will have a pretty slick setup, may want to take a look.

I'm not doing headlights yet.. I am still waiting for the neo914-6 kit to be Available. Neo: when are you expecting it to be done? IMHO neo's version is the best one out there for a modern light on our cars..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.