Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Size of engine tin cheesehead screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
Like the title says; does anyone know the size/thread pitch of the cheesehead srews that hold engine tin on? smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
M6x1.0 x 10mm or 12mm length depending on location.
jd74914
Thank you biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Jim D

If you need to purchase, go to your local VW Bug Shop. They usually have them in a pkg. I just picked up a pkg. for spares @ just under $3 dollars. Correct size, bright silver, cad plated.

Tom
jd74914
Sounds good. We don't have those "local VW shops around here" but I'll just find some online. I'm actually just thinking about getting hexhead screws int he same size so they will be easier to get off in the future. I don't car that much about originality.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 30 2006, 06:25 PM)
Sounds good. We don't have those "local VW shops around here" but I'll just find some online. I'm actually just thinking about getting hexhead screws int he same size so they will be easier to get off in the future. I don't car that much about originality.

I replace mine with hex head screw every chance I get.
Elliot
bd1308
three words....

milk of magnesia.
jd74914
Nice Brit. I like hex drivers and sockets better than regular screw drivers tho cool.gif
bd1308
oh im in the hex screw boat too...

i've been literally screwed (pardon the pun) by these screws...give it a little omph and crack...and there goes that nice little flathead slot.

torx would be SWEET!

b
double-a
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 30 2006, 05:37 PM)
I replace mine with hex head screw every chance I get.

amen brother. i bought a box of 100 stainless hex head screws from mcmaster/carr awhile back, they're great replacements (and shiny too, so you can see 'em in the engine bay!). they're also good replacements for the three screws that attach the underside of each rocker panel.

~a
jim_hoyland
How many of each size are needed ? Getting ready to do this
double-a
i received a pm about the replacement hex screws. here's the mcmaster/carr info in case anyone wants to order some:

mcmaster part #91292A134
metric 18-8 ss socet head cap screw, m6
thread, 12mm length, 1mm pitch

that's for a box of 100. i have probably 70 screws left from my order, they're up for grabs if anyone needs any.

~a
gopack
hijacked.gif Did some one say CHEESEHEAD?
beerchug.gif beer3.gif

We now return this thread to it's regular scheduled topic.
bd1308
are they all 12mm long?

I thought some/most were 10mm long?

I just ordered the same (12mm ones)

b
URY914
You can find SS metric hardware at a good local hardware store or a marine/boating supply store. WestMarine, US Boat etc, or of course McMasterCarr.

TJB/914
Hey Guys,
Wow, this posting sure has legs. Are we becoming the 356 crowd??? Next it will be what brand of polish do you use, just kidding.

Now for the reason I am posting.
Please do us CW's a favor and put in the correct "Cheese Head Screws" I wonder how the name cheese head came about. Must have been someone for Wisconsin???

Tom
Allan
I bought stainless pan head allen screws from a local nuts n bolts place here in town. I also used them for the bottom rockers panel screws...
URY914
I use those Bugpak screws too.
They call them cheesehead because the aftermarket ones are a soft as cheese. biggrin.gif
You take them on and off a few times and they get all buggered up.
They look great if you never touch them after you put them on.

r_towle
cheesehead screw is called that cause the top looks like a thing of cheese..

And for polish...typically I will use spit, or water, but if there is a thing of simple green, or wd40 close by,,I go for that...

Now for special events..I may break out the soap, but that is typically only once per year..

Brake clean also makes a great polish...

Rich
Tobra
I was just under the car today doing the missing screws, noticing the missing screws from the tin, mine are mostly hex head, but I got a sack of the screws leftover from the bug, so...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.