Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrett-Jackson: 1970 914 1.7, $18,360, SOLD!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhs914
Sold today in West Palm Beach. Lot 62. 15,000 mile car.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/flor...t.asp?id=184161

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresu...pb06results.asp

drew365
"This car is a must have item for the true Porsche car collector and is sure to do nothing but appreciate."

Translation: It won't run because the gas is turned to varnish and the hoses are dust but it will always appreciate you. wink.gif
Gustl
I'm wondering about the colour idea.gif
I'd say it looks like bahia red, but this wasn't available in 1970 ...

"Original tires, all original paint and body panels."

what would you say?

in addition: "HORSEPOWER - 85" idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
boxstr
I would say Bahia Red. Could easily be a carry over into 71. Or the car could be a early 71 listed as a 70.
Nice car, great price.
CCLINBJ
gonflyn
If anyone is interested...I'll let mine go for HALF that price!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jimtab
Can't get too excited the 63 vw convrtible beat the 914's price....
ThinAir
I totally misread this at first and thought it was a 6 so I didn't think it was that big a deal, but seeing that it is not only a 4, but a 1.7, this is pretty impressive. Yeah, I know the bidders at BJ tend to be more than a little overboard, but it still says good things for the values of our cars. I'm gonna make sure I file this away to show to my insurance company for my stated-value insurance!
RON S.
Just to add further humor to the topic,check out this months issue of Hemmings.

Someone's got a 914-4 listed in the Porsche section for.DRUM ROLL PLEASE.

$$$34,000.00 av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif shocked[1].gif

Ron
blitZ
I wouldn't put much stock into the Barrett-Jackson prices. This is the place where the deep pockets go to pick up toys and end up paying inflated prices, because of the auction frenzy/pissing match. I like watching it on Speed, but would never buy a car there, sell one maybe.
riverman
Check out the prices on the other same vintage cars (Camaro's & Vette's). They're all up around $85,000. Think a good teener will ever be worth that much?

Probably not. Like blitZ said, a lot of boneheads paying too much at the Barrett-Jackson auction. Plus, I think the 914 crowd is far too intelligent (read: cheap) to let the market get that inflated.
URY914
"orignal" ?

What about that carpet set? rolleyes.gif

mcbain77
Was the charcoal filter used on the '70? I don't have one.
John
What year did they start using the black plastic grille under the fresh air intake in the cowl area?

I thought they all had those (it's missing on that red car).

Pretty clean car, but I think it has been totally redone (just my opinion).
URY914
Options:

"4 speed Tranmission"

No wonder it went so high! ohmy.gif
markb
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Mar 31 2006, 06:29 AM)
What year did they start using the black plastic grille under the fresh air intake in the cowl area?

I think they started putting the grill in about 72.
JmuRiz
QUOTE (markb @ Mar 31 2006, 06:59 AM)
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Mar 31 2006, 06:29 AM)

I think they started putting the grill in about 72.

My early 73 does not have a grill
Pat Garvey
Very nice car - looks exactly like my '72.

Couple of comments:

There were no black plastic grills under the fresh air intake on 72's.

The carpet is correct, though those nice floor mats may make it look funny (like to have a set of those).

Glove box door appears to be either way open or missing.

It is defintely bahia red.

Nice to see one with the correct rear valence (rare!)
914-8
price doesn't seem too high to me if it really has 15,000 miles, original paint and original tires.

That's a VERY rare novelty that is easy to find someone to pay $20K+ for.
grantsfo
That car looks like a perfect 914-6 conversion donor car! Its terribly over priced. Plenty of low mile 914s lurking out there. wink.gif
914-8
Really?

You know of other 15K mile or less 914s in pristine condition with original paint and original tires available for way less than $18K?

Let me know where they are, I'll buy them.
anthony
I don't think it's over priced. There aren't more than a handful of cars like this in the world.
boxstr
A few things that affect the price of this 914 and any car purchased at auction.Commissions. Seller pays 8% of the sale price at No Reserve. He also can pay $400-1000 for an early lot number during the auction. Plus he has to pay transporting,detailing and lodging.

Buyer pays anywhere from 7% to 17% depending on how the car is purchased, in-person,phone,internet. Then there is regisration $200. The buyer has transporting of the vehicle to there garage, lodging and getting to the auction.

So to say that this 914 sold for $18,360. Look a little deeper.
CCLINBJSOLD
olav
QUOTE (mcbain77 @ Mar 31 2006, 06:20 AM)
Was the charcoal filter used on the '70? I don't have one.

Yes, I have one.
zymurgist
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 31 2006, 09:54 AM)
Options:

"4 speed Tranmission"

No wonder it went so high! ohmy.gif

Translation:

"1st and Reverse need to be replaced."
carreraguy
Well one positive thing I can say - it would make an excellent donor car for a Suby swap! biggrin.gif
tod914
wow what a gem smile.gif certianly worth every penny. restos can cost way more than that and not nearly be as nice... let alone original. smilie_pokal.gif
racergreg
Notice the write-up says "original tires" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Amazed they haven't turned to charcoal by this time!
Joe Ricard
My 70 has 18,000 miles on it ...... So the Odometer says. I reset it to 00000 when I bought it in Wa. state (it was broke).

Sweet car wish it were yellow. Questions about the plastic grill not on a 70 for sure. and yes they had a charcoal filter.
boxstr
Today a Triumph TR 4 sold for $90,000.
CCLINBJSOLD
Ferg
QUOTE (boxstr @ Mar 31 2006, 06:57 PM)
Today a Triumph TR 4 sold for $90,000.
CCLINBJSOLD

that's because the headlights worked

thanks folks, i'm hear all night.

Ferg biggrin.gif
ppickerell
I didn't see too many bargains in the BJ sold list. Road Runner Hemi Recreation 78K wacko.gif
smooth_eddy
The car is not quite pristine. I saw vinyl peeling back on the dash. Also, we never got to see inside the engine compartment or pics of the longs. Heck, the battery could have been leaking for 35 years confused24.gif Eddy
914rrr
I'd agree with 914-8, ANY car with 15,000 original miles in anything close to original / pristine condition is a bargain at $18,000!! I'd like to see somebody buy a low mileage, original CORVAIR for that money! Face it, at $18,000 that 914 is one of the cheapest collectible cars out there, period!
MoveQik
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Mar 31 2006, 07:20 PM)
The car is not quite pristine. I saw vinyl peeling back on the dash. Also, we never got to see inside the engine compartment or pics of the longs. Heck, the battery could have been leaking for 35 years confused24.gif Eddy

Also looks like a pretty good ding smack in the middle of the driver's door near the top. Still, a very nice original car.
drew365
How much of a bargain this car is really depends on how it was maintained. If it's been sitting undriven for 25 years, it could very well need a complete rebuild unless someone is looking to put it in a museum. If it was maintained and driven about 400 miles every year it would be a great buy. I just got back from an evening at the Getty, they didn't have any 914's. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Relax ....I was just kidding. Thought my good donor for conversion would have tipped some off? biggrin.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 31 2006, 10:04 PM)
I didn't see too many bargains in the BJ sold list. Road Runner Hemi Recreation 78K wacko.gif

i saw lot# 76.1 bid to $24000. it's not on the sold list, though.confused24.gif

all original '72 350 vette 'cept for the 2nd paint sounded pretty cheap to me, but who knows.
MecGen
Hi Guys

Very nice price on that 914. The antique market has changed in the last few years, leaving the door open for some return on our investment. This is a good thing for us 914 owners, not such a good thing for future owners...

I have a theory... idea.gif

The current and probably permenant increasing fuel costs, will eventually push the average V8 tinkerer out of average hobby costs/price range. The mediocure (sp), "cool because its old", moms type car, will flood the market. V8 icons will ALWAYS be in the top dollar area.
When gas reaches $10 agallon, would you spend $300 in fuel for ride in the country in a 72 Pontiac Skylark ? Or $100 for a weekend ride in an antique Porsche ? I think 4Cyl sports cars, are going to come up in price , and in a big way.
Whatcha think ? confused24.gif

Later

beer.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE (914-8 @ Mar 31 2006, 08:34 AM)
Really?

You know of other 15K mile or less 914s in pristine condition with original paint and original tires available for way less than $18K?

Let me know where they are, I'll buy them.

Settle down.... It's April first.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE (MecGen @ Apr 1 2006, 06:30 AM)
Hi Guys

Very nice price on that 914. The antique market has changed in the last few years, leaving the door open for some return on our investment. This is a good thing for us 914 owners, not such a good thing for future owners...

unsure.gif
Problem is that so many 914's have been modified heavily, leaving few that will classify as original. And those are the ones that will command the prices like this current sale.

One the other side, if the owner had invested his $3,500 in 1970 he'd sure have a lot more than $18,000, and wouldn't have had to store & maintain the thing for 36 years.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Imagine what the price woulda been if the inside r. mirror had been installed! biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
''One the other side, if the owner had invested his $3,500 in 1970 he'd sure have a lot more than $18,000, and wouldn't have had to store & maintain the thing for 36 years." Yeah, but how can you put a price on the prestige of owning a rare, mid-engine exotic that's 30+ years old, not to mention the sensual pleasure of rust particles getting in your eyes and nose when you're doing maintenance . rolleyes.gif
anthony
When gas reaches $10 agallon, would you spend $300 in fuel for ride in the country in a 72 Pontiac Skylark ? Or $100 for a weekend ride in an antique Porsche ? I think 4Cyl sports cars, are going to come up in price , and in a big way.
Whatcha think ?

I doubt it. First, $10/gallon is quite a ways off in the future. Second, even at $3/gallon fuel is cheaper now than it's been in a long time (when you factor in inflation).

Fuel, even at $10/gallon the cost to drive a collector car a few thousand miles a year isn't that much. And the annual cost difference between a 25mpg 914 a high performance 16mpg car is pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

Bleyseng
One Owner 914 Porsche with 15,000 original miles! Fully documented and totally untouched in every way! Original tires, all original paint and body panels. The most original lowest mileage 914 anywhere in the country. This car is a must have item for the true Porsche car collector and is sure to do nothing but appreciate.

Ok, now that quite a statement- The most original miles!!! I thought there were several cars in the 3500 range like the LE in FL- Mark Donahue car.
I like the peeling dash vinyl..... wacko.gif
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE (tod914 @ Mar 31 2006, 02:31 PM)
wow what a gem smile.gif certianly worth every penny. restos can cost way more than that and not nearly be as nice... let alone original. smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.