Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
Now I know why there was a vac leak at the intake man. gasket.

THe stud for the nut is pulling out of the head!! headbang.gif

I removed the runner because I could not get even 15ft. lbs of torque on one bolt.

I found aluminum from the head in the threads of the stud.

SON OF A B.

what can be done??
Aaron Cox
drop the motor...

you can helicoil or time sert it or even get a stepped stud smile.gif
Tobra
you can give Trekkor a chance to test out the new tool
toon1
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 30 2006, 08:08 PM)
drop the motor...

you can helicoil or time sert it or even get a stepped stud smile.gif

can it be done in place??
Aaron Cox
dude. drop the motor. it takes an hour...

and you will save time in the long run
Jake Raby
OR..
Cut a slot in a 5/16-20 SAE bolt and thread that baby in. The slot acts as a tap and helps to cut new threads in, plus the threads and diameter of the SAE bolt are a tad bit bigger than the 8mm metric equivelant... Give it a try, its not the best way to repair it, but saves an ass load of time.

Wost case scenario will be dropping it and threading in an insert, I sell the best inserts for the job.
toon1
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 31 2006, 06:19 AM)
OR..
Cut a slot in a 5/16-20 SAE bolt and thread that baby in. The slot acts as a tap and helps to cut new threads in, plus the threads and diameter of the SAE bolt are a tad bit bigger than the 8mm metric equivelant... Give it a try, its not the best way to repair it, but saves an ass load of time.

Wost case scenario will be dropping it and threading in an insert, I sell the best inserts for the job.

BRILLIANT!! It is well worth a shot. I will give it a try today, thank's Jake.
Jake Raby
Your welcome... Sometimes it works and sometimes it's too late...

toon1
I have a 5/16-18 tap and just fit it in the hole, it looks like it is worth a try. The tap didn't go past the taper on the tip.

I am going to go out and get a 5/16-20, I will let you know if it works

Another question, I don't have anymore gaskets. I do have good phenolic and gasket material.

I have ultra copper sealant and gasketsinch which one should I use to make a new gaket?

I'm thinking gasketsinch agaist the phenolic and ultra copper against the head and runner.
SLITS
RTV (red) or Elephant Snot (you call it gasket cinch)

And I would think that since the intake studs are well exposed and any cuttings would not find their way into the intake if you use heavy grease on the tap, you could put a helicoil in with the motor installed, but then I am old and stupid.
toon1
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 31 2006, 08:31 AM)
RTV (red) or Elephant Snot (you call it gasket cinch)

And I would think that since the intake studs are well exposed and any cuttings would not find their way into the intake if you use heavy grease on the tap, you could put a helicoil in with the motor installed, but then I am old and stupid.

I'm also old and stupid and if it comes down to a helicoil I will try it with the motor in.

If worse comes to worse I will pull the motor........
Jake Raby
DON'T TAP THE HOLE FIRST!

Allowing the bolt to tap it's way into the damaged threads tightly is the key!

Thats why the slot is cut into the bolt-
toon1
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 31 2006, 12:46 PM)
DON'T TAP THE HOLE FIRST!

Allowing the bolt to tap it's way into the damaged threads tightly is the key!

Thats why the slot is cut into the bolt-

ok, what do you think about my gasket setup?
Jake Raby
Silicone based sealants don't like fuel vapros.. Neither does gasgacinch

See if you can find some Loctite 518 locally. Problem solved.
rhodyguy
the slot goes in the threaded end of the bolt or up the side? cool trick.

k
r_towle
up the length of the threads from the end to the head.
It gives the cuttings a place to go...

Rich
JohnM
Be advised, the torque wrench setting is 4.35 lb ft for the intake manifold nuts as per Haynes manual. I just got done re-gasketing mine. If you go 15 ft lbs you may pull them all while torquing, or they may pull when things start heating-up/expanding. John
toon1
QUOTE (JohnnyX @ Mar 31 2006, 03:34 PM)
Be advised, the torque wrench setting is 4.35 lb ft for the intake manifold nuts as per Haynes manual. I just got done re-gasketing mine. If you go 15 ft lbs you may pull them all while torquing, or they may pull when things start heating-up/expanding. John

that is probably what happened, my fault, live and learn
toon1
got it fixed, the hole was to big for the 5/16 bolt so I installed a heli coil.

the hardest part was to drill out the hole. Since the threads had pulled out, the hole was big enough for the drill to go in about and 1/8. NOt having a angle drill I used a pair of vise grips, (yes vise grips) on the drill bit.

The tap went in with no problem and the coil went right in. The stud threaded in perfect. mueba.gif

I am off to get Loctite 518, hopefully all will be ok.
toon1
if anyone cares, the runner is on and it all tightened up well. hey I'm happy mueba.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.