Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior Questions....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickyhgarcia
I am redoing the interior of my car. I looked in a restoration book what were the options for the original seat material for the ยด74 with 2.0 liter engine car, and decided to go with black corduroy inserts. I am using black leather on the side support instead of vinyl since the look is almost the same.

The choice of corduroy is because the basket weave vinyl material is too hot for the south Florida weather. My back get all sweaty on the summer months, therefore, I think a cloth material will be better.

What the restoration book did not tell was: what was the door panels material when corduroy was used? The same for the dash strip, in-between the seat cushion and back panel. I am assuming the back panel was smooth vinyl.

robby750
The door panels are the same, as is the back pad.
rickyhgarcia
The door panels and the back pad were corduroy?
Allan
QUOTE (rickyhgarcia @ Mar 31 2006, 08:17 AM)
The door panels and the back pad were corduroy?

Vinyl...
Bleyseng
All interior panels and such were vinyl either black, tan, brown or white. The seat inserts were available in plaid, vinyl, hmm maybe corduroy as I have seen alot of that. Leather seats was only a option for the 914/6.
Bleyseng
yup, it was an option
Kerrys914
hijacked.gif

Geoff, how do you keep the coco mats inpalce? I have some and they keep drifting up toward the pedals?

hijacked.gif is now over
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 31 2006, 08:31 AM)
All interior panels and such were vinyl either black, tan, brown or white. The seat inserts were available in plaid, vinyl, hmm maybe corduroy as I have seen alot of that. Leather seats was only a option for the 914/6.

When you say vinyl...you mean smooth vinyl, or basket weave vinyl???
Bleyseng
The door panels for a 74 were basketweave as is the dash insert. Seat inserts were also basketweave matching the door panels.
The early interiors had the smooth door panels (70-72) and smooth seats.

Thats not my interior, but I does look like it as I have the cocomats too. I have black leather seats along with a black interior as I swapped out the tan interior. Yeah, the cocomats like to drift up to the petals sad.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Mar 31 2006, 08:40 AM)
hijacked.gif

Geoff, how do you keep the coco mats inpalce? I have some and they keep drifting up toward the pedals?

hijacked.gif is now over

Use Peanut Butter! chowtime.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (boboli914@att.net @ Mar 31 2006, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Mar 31 2006, 08:40 AM)
hijacked.gif

hijacked.gif  is now over

Use Peanut Butter! chowtime.gif

Now we know why your car smells..... wink.gif
rickyhgarcia
Thanks Geoff for all the info...actually a lot of it is a relief because I have made some purchases of material.

My car will have: smooth black leather back pad, smooth black leather in-between cushion, seats with black corduroy inserts and smooth black leather sides. The door panels and the dash strip will be OE basket weave vinyl. I guess it will look original, but the leather smell will give it away.

The picture of the interior you provided is quite nice...although it has some inconsistencies. It includes two TEMP gauges. That tells me it is an early car that originally had the TEMP indication on the leftmost main gauge, and a center console with another TEMP gauge was added later on. That leftmost gauge should be replaced with the unit that has the big parking brake light where that TEMP gauge is located. I think the metal center dot on all three main gauges is also a giveaway that it is an early car.
Pat Garvey
72'2 did NOT have smooth vinyl doorpanels & seats.

Basketweave all the way. driving.gif
brp914
miscellaneous info

- sweaty sticky back is not nice, but cloth will absorb moisture and your car will develop B.O. Thats what happens with my cloth 911. need to air it out or get a pro cleaning.

- I bought door panels from morphenspectra. they look great and the install was easy since the clips line up nicely. only complaint is that the supplied clips are a hard plastic that want to cling to the door more than the panel. trying to remove the panel may strip the clips out of the panel. I dont have the special U-shaped tool. that might help. my .02 would be to plan to spend a whole day on the doors so you wont need to get back in there any time soon (replace hinge rollers, remove, clean & lube latch mecanism, and replace door handle sliders, clean and treat paint and rust on bottom edge)

- ok, enuff
Bleyseng
QUOTE (rickyhgarcia @ Mar 31 2006, 12:51 PM)
Thanks Geoff for all the info...actually a lot of it is a relief because I have made some purchases of material.

My car will have: smooth black leather back pad, smooth black leather in-between cushion, seats with black corduroy inserts and smooth black leather sides. The door panels and the dash strip will be OE basket weave vinyl. I guess it will look original, but the leather smell will give it away.

The picture of the interior you provided is quite nice...although it has some inconsistencies. It includes two TEMP gauges. That tells me it is an early car that originally had the TEMP indication on the leftmost main gauge, and a center console with another TEMP gauge was added later on. That leftmost gauge should be replaced with the unit that has the big parking brake light where that TEMP gauge is located. I think the metal center dot on all three main gauges is also a giveaway that it is an early car.

I stole that pic from JeffBowlsby's site, its not my car and I do agree with you on the gauges. biggrin.gif

I think that basketweave with the holes in it from MB is the ticket for leather.
rickyhgarcia
QUOTE (brp914 @ Mar 31 2006, 01:44 PM)
miscellaneous info

- sweaty sticky back is not nice, but cloth will absorb moisture and your car will develop B.O. Thats what happens with my cloth 911. need to air it out or get a pro cleaning.

- I bought door panels from morphenspectra. they look great and the install was easy since the clips line up nicely. only complaint is that the supplied clips are a hard plastic that want to cling to the door more than the panel. trying to remove the panel may strip the clips out of the panel. I dont have the special U-shaped tool. that might help. my .02 would be to plan to spend a whole day on the doors so you wont need to get back in there any time soon (replace hinge rollers, remove, clean & lube latch mecanism, and replace door handle sliders, clean and treat paint and rust on bottom edge)

- ok, enuff

Thanks for the info....did not think about the smell. South Florida is quite humid by itself, without me being in the car sweating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.