Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which exhaust is preferable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhcb914
I have both systems. The one on the car now is the 1.7/1.8 stainless exchangers and a I think it's a bursch muffler with a glass pack. It has a nice sound but it's so loud I can't really even carry a conversation on in the car. I also have a set of stainless heat exchangers for a 2.0l and a stock bannana muffler. I am tempted to put that system on to quite the car down a bit.

What would everyone suggest? Am I going to loose or gain any power with the 2.0L setup?

-Rob
Mueller
the ID of the tubing of both stainless steel exchangers are the same, I believe the 1.7/1.8 "flips" up a tad bit but I highly doubt it impeads the flow at all.....

as far as I know there has not been any real testing that any of the aftermarket mufflers sold for the stock heatexchangers add any value except for noise...I'd opt for 2.0 parts and sell the other stuff (if true SSI's, easily worth $350 for the pair )

r_towle
Dibs on the "bursh" muffler if you sell it.

Rich
drewvw

I also have SS exchangers and a bursch exhaust on a stock 1.7. It is very loud (as in, I am terrified to have any mass cops tail me) but I love it.

It really adds a great dimension to driving the car. Makes the 1.7 sound meaner than it really is.
rhcb914
The Bursch does make the car sound mean! It also drowns out all of the mechanical noise my engine makes. Not sure if that is a good thing though laugh.gif

r_towle
loud pipes save lives....

you would love to see mine right now...on stands, long cut open...it will bring back fond memories...

My son needs a new 1.8 muffler...so if you decide to do it, let me know.
He likes loud cars..

Rich
mudfoot76
I just had my 2.0L SSIs installed (already had the Bursch) and it is quite a bit louder than with the stock HXs. It almost sounded like there was a leak somewhere, but everything seems tight confused24.gif
drewvw
QUOTE (rhcb914 @ Mar 31 2006, 11:59 AM)
The Bursch does make the car sound mean! It also drowns out all of the mechanical noise my engine makes. Not sure if that is a good thing though laugh.gif

I agree, another great benefit. I stood behind my car the other weekend and had my buddy lay it out to see how loud it was....

bd1308
QUOTE (rhcb914 @ Mar 31 2006, 12:38 PM)
I have both systems. The one on the car now is the 1.7/1.8 stainless exchangers and a I think it's a bursch muffler with a glass pack. It has a nice sound but it's so loud I can't really even carry a conversation on in the car. I also have a set of stainless heat exchangers for a 2.0l and a stock bannana muffler. I am tempted to put that system on to quite the car down a bit.

What would everyone suggest? Am I going to loose or gain any power with the 2.0L setup?

-Rob

thats what I plan to do...put the stock stuff back on....that is if my source ever gets done with them dry.gif wink.gif

b
r_towle
If you have the glass pack type, and its removable..you cn put several cheap mufflers on there to deapen the tone...

Go to the local FLAPS and try out the flowmaster (or equivelent) oval muffler , typiucally like 20-30 bucks...its for an eight cylinder, so does not restrict the flow, but tones it down nicely...

I had the red cherrybomb on a car,,,replaced it with the flowmaster equivelant...much nicer tone, less likey to attract a cop, but will open up when needed.

If you have the flange on the collector (mine is a welded bursch) then get the muffler and the raw flange (I got the flange at a midas shop..bring a drawing..they have alots of them...or meineke)

you could either weld it on yourself, get meineke to weld it on for you, or I would be happy to do it.

Just an alternative to removing the heat exchangers...not a fun job..

When you are all done, you will have two different mufflers to use.

Rich
pfierb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 31 2006, 04:02 PM)
loud pipes save lives....

you would love to see mine right now...on stands, long cut open...it will bring back fond memories...

My son needs a new 1.8 muffler...so if you decide to do it, let me know.
He likes loud cars..

Rich

"Loud pipes save lives"s an old motorcycle riders claim to justify making an unjustified racket and assuring that the rider will have severe hearing loss by the age of 45.
r_towle
ever ride a quiet bike?
I have...loud pipes do save lives...they know you are somewhere nearby..so they look...
rjames
Sorry for the hi-jack, but SS 2.0 heat exchangers- did they make these for the '75/'76 year cars too?
drewvw
QUOTE (pfierb @ Mar 31 2006, 01:40 PM)
"Loud pipes save lives"s an old motorcycle riders claim to justify making an unjustified racket and assuring that the rider will have severe hearing loss by the age of 45.

I never heard anybody take that stance before.....at least not anyone who rides bikes or has had a friend who got banged up on one.
r_towle
And you never will..
BTDT broken neck and all..

There are three types of bikers.

Those that have been down
Those that are going down
And those that are going down again.

Rich
Joe Ricard
It all fits any car just get all of it. and keep 2.0L exchangers with 2.0L header pipe
I just went up to Lowes in the racer. Tangerine with Phase 9 silencer. I was perfectly safe making all kinds or racket.
r_towle
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 31 2006, 04:58 PM)
It all fits any car just get all of it. and keep 2.0L exchangers with 2.0L header pipe
I just went up to Lowes in the racer. Tangerine with Phase 9 silencer. I was perfectly safe making all kinds or racket.

WTF.gif

JoeSharp
Being an alert rider will get you out of more trouble than a pipe. 140,000 miles on a Harley with stock pipes and the bike rearly left L.A.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
pfierb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 31 2006, 05:47 PM)
ever ride a quiet bike?
I have...loud pipes do save lives...they know you are somewhere nearby..so they look...

I was in the motorcycle business for 25 years and yes I have ridden quiet bikes and loud bikes and I will take a quiet bike everytime. loud bikes are one of the main reasons that the public has a negative view of the sport.
rjames
I
loud bikes are one of the main reasons that the public has a negative view of the sport.

I thought it was from seeing crotch rockets doing 90+ in between lanes to pass as if they were inductructable.

....That being said, I'd still like to have one.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (r_towle @ Mar 31 2006, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 31 2006, 04:58 PM)
It all fits any car just get all of it.  and keep 2.0L exchangers  with 2.0L header pipe
I just went up to Lowes in the racer.  Tangerine with Phase 9 silencer.    I was perfectly safe making all kinds or racket.

WTF.gif

Don't understand your scheptism. Why would a 1.7 not fit a 2.0L ???? or the other way around???? I did it with a 1.7L engine in a 70 car and put 2.0L SSI HE's and a 2.0L bursch.

got to have the right bracket too.

and once you ditch those stupid 75-76 pipes you still have a 2.0L
rhcb914
If you have the glass pack type, and its removable..you cn put several cheap mufflers on there to deapen the tone...

Go to the local FLAPS and try out the flowmaster (or equivelent) oval muffler , typiucally like 20-30 bucks...its for an eight cylinder, so does not restrict the flow, but tones it down nicely...

I had the red cherrybomb on a car,,,replaced it with the flowmaster equivelant...much nicer tone, less likey to attract a cop, but will open up when needed.

If you have the flange on the collector (mine is a welded bursch) then get the muffler and the raw flange (I got the flange at a midas shop..bring a drawing..they have alots of them...or meineke)

you could either weld it on yourself, get meineke to weld it on for you, or I would be happy to do it.

Just an alternative to removing the heat exchangers...not a fun job..

When you are all done, you will have two different mufflers to use.

I had though about welding on a regular muffler but your idea of putting on a flange so I could use either the glass pack or the muffler is a good idea.

Rich, if you interested I have a sebring (I think) muffler for a 1.7/1.8 that is just sitting in my basement. The exhaust tip exits on the right side and it's also a glass pack. It has a little surface rust on it but should clean up nice. Came off one of the parts cars from last summer. I'll sell it to you cheap if you want it.

-Rob

r_towle
Rob,
Bring it tommorow.

Joe, I just did not get that sentence...I know that each system fits...I just did not get the sentence itself...it may have been my medication...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.