Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much flare to fit 7"s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
winter is coming- as is my five lug conversion. i wanna run 16's front and rear. how much flare is needed to fit 7's in the rear and is it worth it????
redshift
I'm not sure about 16x7, but 15x7 will fit under my 74 with about 1/8th to spare..

Not the other car though..

M
McMark
Also depends on the tire size you wish to run. But 7"s shouldn't need too much flaring with moderately sized tires. If you want some nice meaty tires you'd need more, maybe 1" or so? This is just a guess.
seanery
AAron, I'll let you know in about a month. smile.gif
URY914
It also depends on the wheel offset. 5" is about the most you can have before the tire starts rubbing on the inside.

Measure your car-all 914s are not the same.

Paul
Aaron Cox
im thinking 205 all around or as big as i can fit in the rear
Andyrew
I have 16x7's and 15x7's, both with 225's, 16's fuch's 15's cookies, almost identical offset. If they had 205's they would fit the fenders, but with 225's I had to do some custom flares.. not hard if you dont mind painting the fender.. but you might need bondo if you want it to be perfect..

let me know if you want me to show you pics..

Andrew
Aaron Cox
pics would be.....spiffy laugh.gif sure. thanks man
mskala
I think we've been through this before on multiple lists.

a) all cars are a bit different due to assembly methods

cool.gif tire size, tire brand, camber, etc are all in the mix

c) 7" wide fuchs (with exception of 911R rims) have ALL
the additional width on the outside, so they stick out
(duh) 1" farther than 6x15 or 16.

On my -6, I have probably less than 1deg neg camber,
run 6x15 cookies (same offsets) with 205/50 victoracers
and they only had about 1/4" gap to spare.

Stupid note: 1970 cars only had completely flat-return
rear fenders, so I bent mine up just to be safer.
machina
I run 7's all around on my 914. I think with the right tire, 7's will fit on just about any 914. You have to be willing to roll the inside of the fender lip a little bit but it is not a big deal.

regards,
david
mharrison
I am adding the fiberglass GT flares to my 914. (I can't help it, I can't afford steel right now!!) How deep a wheel can I fit under there? Actually, how big do I have to go so it won't look stupid? I don't want a big empty fender flare with a skinny little wheel/tire combo in there.

Thanks,
Matt
seanery
I think 8's and 9's look good.
SirAndy
jenny got 7" all around with 205 tires. the offset is custom (rewelded steel wheels) and it is a VERY tight fit, but looks great!

IPB Image
Jeff Bonanno
gun show? w00t.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bonanno @ Sep 15 2003, 10:23 AM)
gun show? w00t.gif

naa, we didn't make it to the gun show.
ihop was just way too tempting cool.gif

Andy
ss6
Steel wheels are 7 x 16 (don't know, never had any)? Are they the same offsets as the Fuchs?

I'm running Fuchs 6 x 16's with 205's and they are pretty snug in back, but I didn't have to tweak any sheet metal to get 'em in there. Fuchs 7's with 205's may fit without tweaking sheet metal, but it'll be REAL close depending on the section width of the tire you choose, plus how your particular car came together. If you want to put 225's in the back, you will most likely have to do something to the fender. For example, the section width of a 225 Kumho VictoRacer is about 9.2" on a 7" rim (TireRack website), and my rear fender well is 9" wide at it's widest. The 205 is about 8.3" on a 6" rim. If you get a little rubbing going on with 205's on 7's, the old baseball bat trick may give you the extra sliver you need.

Is it worth it? A set of sticky 205's will give you plenty of grip for a 2.0, for street driving and at least the first year or so of AX/DE. If you don't have the rims yet, get 6 x 16's, and avoid the flare question until your driving tells you you've run out of tire. If you have 7" rims already, you may still be able to tuck some 205's in the back, but you may be locked into a lot of camber and limited in your ability to lower the ride height. Save the flares for the six conversion.
campbellcj
I have 15x7's with 205/50's and 16x7's with 205/45's for my car; the rears were fairly aggressively rolled and pulled with the standard baseball bat procedure. It still looks "stock" and there is actually extra clearance now - I plan to try 215/40 Hoosiers on my second set of 16x7's.

I did absolutely nothing to the front to fit the 7's.
Brad Roberts
This will stir up some shit.

The cars where all created equal... the problem is 90% of the alignment shops dont know that you can adjust the rear of the car. Meaning that rear toe and camber rarely get aligned. Especially when they dont have the alignment shims in stock.

If you take your car to get aligned and they DONT ask you for rear shims.. and they dont charge you for rear shims... they DID NOT align the rear. They can show you paperwork giving you the specs from what the computer read.... but did they actually change anything ?? A 914 with its thrust angle off will drive just fine.. thrust angle is all 4 tires going in the same direction.. if they dont adjust the rear.. they use the rear as the "constant" in the equation.. meaning that the front alignment will be based on the rear... WELL if the rear is wrong...

B
machina
assuming the shop won't have the shims on hand, how many and what size shims do you suggest keeping around? I saw the post about the guy making up some laser cut parts, 3 for $20.00.

thanks,
david
Brad Roberts
I suggest keeping the thinner sizes around. I *think* we have 1-2-3 mm shims (maybe 2-3-4mm) I would keep the smaller ones around for more precise tuning of the rear camber. I find a ton of the thicker shims... and keep all the thins ones for myself.

Also make sure the alignment shop uses a torque wrench on the three bolts holding the control arm to the tub. If THEY strip these nuts out with a air gun... you wont know it until later on when you end up with rear wheel steering. I dont recall (and I'm too lazy to look it up) but I think the torque settings for these are around 17lb ft.

B
machina
brad,

what don't you know? you are the man... pray.gif

david
Brad Roberts
I dont know how to make a decent living. laugh.gif

B
campbellcj
The guy who did my suspension work said he was thinking about making up some "half sizes" of shims. He never did AFAIK but if somebody's gonna tool up, it might be worth doing.
Katmanken
Be a piece o'cake for somebody with a wire EDM machine. Program the profile, stack up a bunch of plates of different thicknesses and have at it.

Ken
mskala
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 16 2003, 02:02 PM)
but I think the torque settings for these are around 17lb ft.

B

My book says 50 ft-lbs. 17 doesn't sound right.
Brad Roberts
Mark.. that was the *think* portion of my comments.. I dont care to know all the torque settings on a 914 (I look them up when I need them).

B
mskala
Brad, wasn't trying to be a jerk. Your points obviously carry a lot of weigh for most of
us normal folks, and I don't want anybody headin' out to the garage putting 17 on
the torque wrench because they heard it from you.
Brad Roberts
I understood Marc.. I was honestly looking for someone to give the correct number. I didnt use enough smilies. happy11.gif happy11.gif lol2.gif laugh.gif wink.gif lol3.gif

B
Dman
15x7 Phone dials, the 195-55 Dunlops shown fit tighter than my Kumo 205-50 Victoracers. huh.gif

Lots of neg camber, getting it alinged soon. Can't get it as low as it was but it's only ~3/4" higher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.