Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few questions regarding...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Well now that the engine's out (thanks Andrew) it's time to get the engine bay cleaned up.
We know a welder who will fix the hell hole area for pretty cheap. I already have a new battery tray and support, but that's all I have. It appears that the only spot rusted through in the hell hole is the part just to the left of the long (engine shelf?). The rest is solid.
So, do I have to order and buy the whole actual engine shelf piece, or can I just buy some sheet metal and have the bad stuff cut out and then patched? I'm not worried about it looking concours.
Also, should I have the welder guy cut open the top of the long a bit (then weld it back), so I can spray some rust neutralizer in there, just in case?

But, we have to get the car to the welder guy.... Soooo, how do we go about towing the 914? We're thinking of renting a flatbed car trailer from Uhaul. Would that work? What about a tow dolly?

Thanks for your help cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
get a hammer and dolly and lets learn how to metal work smile.gif its really fun, and really chep. weld and fit, weld and fit...
Hammy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 31 2006, 05:19 PM)
get a hammer and dolly and lets learn how to metal work smile.gif its really fun, and really chep. weld and fit, weld and fit...

screwy.gif

I don't even know what a hammer and dolly is wink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Hammy @ Mar 31 2006, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 31 2006, 05:19 PM)

screwy.gif

I don't even know what a hammer and dolly is wink.gif

andrew can weld too. he can explain it...

a hammer is used to hit the metal and form it into shape smile.gif a dolly.... etc...

do a little googling. im CONFIDENT you can get a nice looking repair piece by yourself smile.gif
Hammy
I don't have a welder...

My engine and tranny are out, so if I rent a dolly, do I just leave the CV joints hanging there? Or what should I do?
Aaron Cox
have andrew do it for you... or buy the repaire piece and pay to have it installed huh.gif wacko.gif

for reference...hammer/dolly set

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.