Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: amber front marker light bulbs available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
I had lightly smoked front turn signal and marker light lenses made to go w/ my silver motife. I thought that I wouldn't have a hard time finding amber bulbs to put in. But only clear available at the local Auto Zone.

Does Anyone know of any name brands and part numbers out there?

thanks as always for taking the time to input.
scotty b
huh.gif Most all parts stores should have orange bulbs in the electrical isle. Lots of domestic cars and trucks use them
pnewman
I had the bulb in hand (the clear one) and none in the Auto Zone bulb isle matched. They carried Sylvania.

The were useless beyond that! If you have to think forget about it!

They were excellant for plugging in a make and model and echoing what the computer info had but thinking was beyond there evolutionary level. WTF.gif
scotty b
My conversation 2 weeks ago at Advanced auto parts

" I need a generator belt for a 51 Lincoln Cosmopolitan"
" I don't know if our computer will go back that far but I'll check for you"
" Huh, we've got a listing for a 52 but not a 51....you're car must be a 52 then"
" No it's a 51"
" You sure? We don't list a 51"
" Well I restore cars for a living, and I've owned this one for 9 years so I'm pretty sure it's a 51"
"I bet the 52 belt is the same "
"No it isn't"
" You sure you don't wanna try it to make certain?"

It was right about then that my head fell off of my shoulders, hit the floor and exploded
So.Cal.914
Go to a craft store, they carry clear paints for glass and light bulbs.
They should have it . smoke.gif
Dr Evil
Oooor, you could always get an LED with the right connection in any color you want.

$.02
pnewman
The craft paint is my last resort; although some of the cheaper bulbs that I have seen looked like my daughter painted them, and with that edible pudding paint that we would ate off of our smocks when we were in kindergarten.

LED's sound interesting. are they plugn'play or cut and splice? sources?
thanks
pnewman
QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 31 2006, 08:04 PM)
My conversation 2 weeks ago at Advanced auto parts

" I need a generator belt for a 51 Lincoln Cosmopolitan"
" I don't know if our computer will go back that far but I'll check for you"
" Huh, we've got a listing for a 52 but not a 51....you're car must be a 52 then"
" No it's a 51"
" You sure? We don't list a 51"
" Well I restore cars for a living, and I've owned this one for 9 years so I'm pretty sure it's a 51"
"I bet the 52 belt is the same "
"No it isn't"
" You sure you don't wanna try it to make certain?"

It was right about then that my head fell off of my shoulders, hit the floor and exploded

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

I worked in a Forest City Auto Parts store. This was just as computers were beginning to be mainstream in the autoparts industry. At that time we had racks of these telephone books that we used to scower through per supplier for parts. Older cars had special source books. It was definately more complicated but more educational simultaneously.

In your line of work it's probably best to become good friends w/ the store manager or just take charge and tell the kid at the computer to move over. I've done that before. laugh.gif
Zaney
I am doing something similar with my Silver teener. I am going with the Italian lens look. Clear turn signal and clear side markers. Already have the Euro rear lenses in place.

I was looking on PP at these Stealth Bulbs

Even look at some of the different colored LED marker bulbs.
Good luck and please post the final product!!

Nate beer.gif
boxstr
The clear lenses with the Stealth bulbs is the way to go. You don't see the yellow or amber bulb inside the housign. When the bulbs glow they are amber.
CCLINCOLORMEGONE
Dr Evil
You can get leds that are clear and glow amber no problem. You just need to know what style the bulb is that you are replacing.

Try www.superbrightleds.com
Dr Evil
The only thing to consider is if you are using it in a flasher capacity it may need some extra tweeking like adding a resistor. It may not if you are using it in parelle with another regualr bulb (as I intend to).
pnewman
QUOTE (Zaney @ Mar 31 2006, 08:51 PM)
I am doing something similar with my Silver teener. I am going with the Italian lens look. Clear turn signal and clear side markers. Already have the Euro rear lenses in place.

I was looking on PP at these Stealth Bulbs

Even look at some of the different colored LED marker bulbs.
Good luck and please post the final product!!

Nate beer.gif

Good choice!

I already have a pair of stealth bulbs up front. To bad no one makes them in the smaller size for the sides.

I can't say how they look as my battery, engine and trans have been out since November.

You'll probably know how my front bulbs will look before I do. wacko.gif

914-8
Painting bulbs with craft paint may be Ghetto Fabulous, but it's really not necessary.

These are standard 1157 dual filament bulbs.

Amber 1157s are now a very standard color, standard bulb on just about every modern car.

Sylvania renumbers clear 1157s to 2057 or 2257, or something like that.

I got these ambers at Pep Boys.

user posted image
pnewman
QUOTE (914-8 @ Apr 1 2006, 08:26 AM)
Painting bulbs with craft paint may be Ghetto Fabulous, but it's really not necessary.

These are standard 1157 dual filament bulbs.

Amber 1157s are now a very standard color, standard bulb on just about every modern car.

Sylvania renumbers clear 1157s to 2057 or 2257, or something like that.

I got these ambers at Pep Boys.

user posted image

I am actually looking for the little bulbs that go in the round side marker lights. I had lightly smoked grey lenses made and am looking for amber bulbs.

I have the front turn signals already set up thanks!
turboman808
QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 31 2006, 08:04 PM)

reminds me of a conversation I had 2 nights ago when someone stopped me to ask for directions back to the interstate. Guys started to question my answers even though he didn't know where he was. I finaly agreed with him and he went off in the wrong direction biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.