Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idea for dash never before done!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I was sitting around thinking of ways to set my car apart and have been working on a way to use either granite or marble as a dash. I know it sounds crazy, but I think a nice granite would go awsome with my silver grey car. A white car would look great in white marble. I am working on getting some so I can start fooling around with shaping it. The real bitch is getting the dimention of the whole piece figured in a way so as not to necessitate a really thick piece.

Now I need to get me some tools...Harbor freight, here I come! I cant wait, I have never heard of anything like this before. smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
I was thinking that, but if I am folded that bad I am a gonner anyway. I'll have to see how it goes. Maybe it will be a show piece only. confused24.gif
MoveQik
We have concrete counter tops in our house. Perhaps you should try that? Easy to form!
messix
jeez guys !!!!!!

april fools again. suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLITS
Other than being quite fragile, your dash might last a trip around the block.

Plastic replica is the way to go.

So Doc, when ya movin' into your Beverly Hills Mansion? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Maybe I could fool with the concrete for a first mock up to see if it even will look nice.

I actually thought about Paul when I considered this. It is the most anti-Paul thing to do. biggrin.gif My car is for looks as much as fun. Not a hard core race car by any streatch.
swood
QUOTE (messix @ Mar 31 2006, 09:46 PM)
jeez guys !!!!!!

april fools again. suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?!!! I'm deletin my posts. What an idjiut.

It's only 9:45 here so it doesn't count...
MoveQik
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Mar 31 2006, 09:46 PM)
Maybe I could fool with the concrete for a first mock up to see if it even will look nice.

I actually thought about Paul when I considered this. It is the most anti-Paul thing to do. biggrin.gif My car is for looks as much as fun. Not a hard core race car by any streatch.

If it weighs too much, do what Brant would do....swiss cheese the whole thing. Just keep it under $50 per pound!
Dr Evil
QUOTE (swood @ Apr 1 2006, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (messix @ Mar 31 2006, 09:46 PM)
jeez guys !!!!!!

april fools again.   suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious?!!! I'm deletin my posts. What an idjiut.

It's only 9:45 here so it doesn't count...

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

I guess the timing is right, though.
swood
pray.gif

Ok, you got me. Have no idea what day it is. And I just finished half a bottle of LaFroig with my bro and a 1990 Rocky Patel torpedo.

Yo da man.

I'm a fool. chairfall.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (swood @ Mar 31 2006, 09:56 PM)
pray.gif

Ok, you got me. Have no idea what day it is. And I just finished half a bottle of LaFroig with my bro and a 1990 Rocky Patel torpedo.

Yo da man.

I'm a fool. chairfall.gif

Must be that type of night. I'm sitting here like an idjut with Captain and Coke and nothing better to do.
SLITS
I saved a lot on my insurance by switching to..........

I fell in 'cause I know Dr. Jeb and it's the type of thing he would do....he can't drive worth a shit so it might as well look good.
Dr Evil
Thats what makes it fun, I am the kind of guy to try something like this wacko.gif

Back learning about how bacteria suck......
Trekkor
Coming from a Marble and Granite "guru" rolleyes.gif

You will be surprised what tools are needed, their huge price tag and how long it will actually take to fabricate this piece if you are at all serious.

I strongly suggest a faux solution.

Sorry. Although I like the idea and the creative thinking. clap56.gif

KT
sixnotfour
Dr. Jeb
av-943.gif

There is a "granite look" paint kit at Home Depot stores

Trekkor probably already has it though av-943.gif
Trekkor
Trekkor probably already has it though

You're right! I shot my engine compartment with that faux stone hobby textured paint with a clear coat on top.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 31 2006, 11:21 PM)
Trekkor probably already has it though

You're right! I shot my engine compartment with that faux stone hobby textured paint with a clear coat on top.

KT

laugh.gif
Trekkor
I knew you'd like that. lol2.gif

KT
rhodyguy
i would use plaster of paris. you could color it whatever you wanted to with tempura paint. much lighter than concrete and you could honeycomb teeny tiny ballons in it.

k
riverman
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2006, 12:34 AM)
I was sitting around thinking of ways to set my car apart and have been working on a way to use either granite or marble as a dash. I know it sounds crazy, but I think a nice granite would go awsome with my silver grey car. A white car would look great in white marble. I am working on getting some so I can start fooling around with shaping it. The real bitch is getting the dimention of the whole piece figured in a way so as not to necessitate a really thick piece.

Now I need to get me some tools...Harbor freight, here I come! I cant wait, I have never heard of anything like this before. smilie_pokal.gif

You could put an 'island' in the center console and then hang some cabinets along the targa bar. That would set your car apart. All you would need then is some pot lights, an ice dispenser, and perhaps a pot rack and you'd be all set. Oh, don't forget the wallpaper.
pfierb
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Apr 1 2006, 01:34 AM)

Sweet....be sure you take out a U.S. Patent on it right away I'm sure the folks in Stuttgart will want to copy it for next years models.
ruddyboys
I was thinking brick, maybe a fireplace with a nice patio in the front trunck
dakotaewing
Tarrazo....
Not sure if the spelling is right, but would give you the look your after, and you can make any color you want, but its not cheap...
Allan
Corian...
Dr. Roger
i prefer a nice river rock finish on my dash board.... wacko.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Mar 31 2006, 09:34 PM)
The real bitch is getting the dimention of the whole piece figured

Don't you mean dementia?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Dr. Evil, You could use styrafom (sp) ,cut the basic shape out with a exto,then cover with layers of spackling.
Paint, then use one of the kits in the hobby stores to get your granite look.
You could cover the dash top with that red furry stuff.
Cover the roll bar with it too. You could get some small
red xmas balls to hang in the rear window. Also find a set of those plaid seats. Bring that to the Hershey swap ,and you would get all kinds of offers. Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.