Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding 15" tires sux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I need to replace my tires this year. Part of the look of my car is the nostalgia of the 15" X8" Fuch wheels with tall side walls. That's how I remeber these cars back in the day. That's what I like. I have 235/60/15 Yokohama rears, and 215/60/15 fronts. I want to increase the contact patch in the rear without loosing the tall side wall. I found some 245/50/15 Dunlaps but I think I loose 1.5" If I figured it right.... I'm feeling like I need to spend some money again for 16" wheels... dry.gif Any suggestions? I want to retain the look. I don't care that the car will handle better. If you know me by now, you know it's all about the cool factor to me.
rick 918-S
Like this. wub.gif
Aaron Cox
you need 16" or 17" wheels to get uber wide.... and any kind of performance sidewall.....

why keep the super tall sidewall? you have an HB now....
rick 918-S
I'm stuck in the 70's. I found some Toyo's in Sport Truck rubber.. laugh.gif Alas, I may have to move on and part the car. sad.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 31 2006, 11:30 PM)
I'm stuck in the 70's. I found some Toyo's in Sport Truck rubber.. laugh.gif Alas, I may have to move on and part the car. sad.gif

part the car???

you need to go to lower profile rubber, go to a bigger rim, or go to hoosiers to get the size and OD you want....

no other choices.....

with those mongo sidewalls and an HB, youll be doing like 90 at 2000 rpm LOL
gregrobbins
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 31 2006, 11:30 PM)
laugh.gif Alas, I may have to move on and part the car. sad.gif

Hey Rick, you don't have much time or money invested in the car. Parting it out seems like a good idea. You know 914s are worth more as parts than as running cars.

Don't, we'll hang you biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Look in the Summit Racing catalog (they're on line also). Mickey Thompson still makes some of those 60s-70s sizes.
I had L-60 X 15s on my 58 Vette...ah...several years ago biggrin.gif
spare time toys
Cooper tires also makes tires in the old sizes. Chaz was looking into them for his 930 for those old BBS rims he had me sell. The reproduction Michelins in the 15" size he wanted for it was around $400.
Allan
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Mar 31 2006, 10:30 PM)
Alas, I may have to move on and part the car. sad.gif

Bring it to the Ron & Glenn swap meet and we'll cut it up for ya... biggrin.gif
r_towle
try coker tires...vintage sizes are still out there...just gotta hunt harder..

Rich
Elliot_Cannon
If you want to be really cool. You gotta go with 17 inch rims.
Aaron Cox
and you can be slower due to heavier wheels ROFL

elliot.. your licens plate needs to be mach .85 now laugh.gif
SirAndy
245s in 15 are no problem at all, anything wider than that, good luck ...

wink.gif Andy
byndbad914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 1 2006, 04:44 PM)
245s in 15 are no problem at all, anything wider than that, good luck ...

wink.gif  Andy

Rick,

I like the looks of the 15s with some additional sidewall as well (not the rubberband looking big stuff). I had 245/50-15s all the way around on mine. BFG Euro T/As - check out BFG I am pretty sure they are still available and they were pretty easy on the pocketbook.

You will lose height on the overall tire as you note (mine were 24.6" OD)

You probably know how to do all this, but if you don't, this may help you determine a good alternative tire for you current setup (tire sizes 101)

245/50/15 - the 245 means 245mm width, the 50 means the sidewall is 50% of the width, or 122.5mm tall. 15 is obvious. So a 245/50 tire is 245/25.4=9.65" wide with a sidewall of 9.65"x50% = 4.82", therefore the tire is 9.65" + 15 = 24.65" overall diameter (2walls + wheel).

You now have a 235/60/15 so you have a 9.25" wide tire with 5.55" walls for a height of 26.1". Most tire sites offer all of that info now, but if you want to find a similar height tire with a different width you pre-determined, makes it easy to determine your options without having to stare at the websites all day trying to figure out alternatives.

Good luck, I think you and I are the last two guys trying to keep 15" tires alive sad.gif I had to verify race tires were available FIRST, then order my wheels to fit, since there aren't many 15" alternatives anymore. A 26" diameter like you have should still be available in a bunch of widths as that is a common US car tire height - but man that is tall for a 914.

Here is a pic of mine when the engine was out a while back. I didn't really scour your picture to try and tell, but be sure you can handle the extra .393" width between a 235 and 245. This may help you get an idea of how yours might look with that size tire (overlooking the crazy rake with the engine out of course)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.