Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scaly carb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I was having a problem in the fall that one carb wasn't working. Yesterday took it apart and the bowl was full of a whiteish brown scale. I took out all the jets and cleaned everything with carb cleaner. (oh their Dells) I checked the other and it was fine. Why would one get all scaley while the other was fine? Also what else should I do to make sure the carb is clean. Oh just one more thing the bowl had about 1/8" of carb cleaner, when I open the butterfly valves gas or cleaner shot up thru the bottom (almost in my eye, thanks for glasses) but the bowl didn't empty, should it?
shaggy
did it look like oxidation or corrosion?

i had two weber 44's tha were destroyed
the chokes were frozen and on the insides of the carbs there was about 1/16'' of corrosion
they had gotten some water inside then then sat with the water while it got hot out and sealed themselves shut

one of my friends cleaned them up for me
he used lime away
and spent literally 50+ hours on each one
to say the least i owe him

-shag
ruddyboys
It looked like flakes of whiteish brown, when I first hit it with compresses air most just blew off. After sprayong withy carb cleaner they looked pretty good, so I dought it was corrosion. A little history, I bought them from a guy who said they were rebult, they looked nice when I got them. They both worked fine untill I took the car for a test ride. About 2 miles into the ride I noticed a great loss of power and high revs, thought the clutch started to slip. Trying to back it up onto ramps the car had a hard time just to get up on them. I noticed the right HE was cold and the left hot. Becuase winter was coming on I put the car under wraps. Upon unwrapping I sarted to check the carb and found the scale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.