Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bead leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
When I went to take my teener out of storage two of the tires were flat. So I aired them up and drove it a couple of days until it snowed again. Then back to storage. I went to take it out again and one tire was flat and the other very low. I checked the valve stems to see if the were leaking and they weren't. After looking them over I put soapy water on the beads and I found that the back side of both tires have leaks. I have attached a picture and if you look at the wheel showing the back side you will see clusters of white bubbles. This was after I had washed off most of the soapy water.

My question is: what is the best way to repair these? Take the tire off and sand around the lip of the rims?

Thanks,
Mike
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mike,
How old are your tires? I've got Pedrinis w/fairly new tires and don't have a problem with the loss of pressure over extended periods. HOWEVER, the last set of tires on the same rims would lose 10-15lbs over the course of 6-8 wks. That last set were really old. I left them on entirely too long. Perhaps your tires need to be replaced.
r_towle
Alot of times the old tire may have left a bit of itself on the inner lip of the rim.

Best fix.

Take off tire, bring rims home (unless you find a really cool shop)

Wire brush on drill, clean the lip of the rim, both sides...

Then remount.

Rich
mikelsr
I bought the tires last spring. They are Yokohama AVS ES100 (205/50 15). I don't remember having to put air in them last summer (except for the AX stuff I was doing).

Rich, thanks for the info. I figured that I may have to do that.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.