Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do in and around San Jose, CA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfp550
I'm in San Jose Sunday from 2/2 to Sunday 2/9. I'll have a rental car on the weekends to get around.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for "must see" places for electronics surplus, car goodies, or craft beer.

Ob 914 talk:
I'm recycling as much as I can of a WAY beyond all help rusty Wisconsin '73 2.0. The drivetrain is going into a Thunder Ranch 550 Spyder kit I'm building.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

--
Jason
Jenny
QUOTE (jfp550 @ Apr 1 2006, 05:23 PM)
I'm in San Jose Sunday from 2/2 to Sunday 2/9.

Hi Jason,

Feb huh.gif or April?

Jen
carreraguy
Since you said Sunday, I'm assuming you meant April. Welcome to the Capital of Sillycon Valley!

Micro brewerey beer:
Rock Bottom Brewery in Campbell (Pruneyard)
Los Gatos Brewery in downtown Los Gatos
Gordon Biersch in downtown San Jose

914 goodies:
Only place I can think of is High Performance House in Redwood City - not sure what Rich would have "over the counter" though.

Totally clueless on "electronics surplus" - someone else chip in on that. Maybe Fry's?

Also - things to do in San Jose from the friendly C of C:
http://www.sanjose.com/free-guide/index.shtml
jsteele22
Well, not on your list, but I'd say take that rental car up into the hills, hit the twisties, and weep. Nobody ought to be allowed on roads like that in a non-NARP.

grantsfo
Frys is always good for electronics, but isnt really a surplus place. Weird Stuff Warehouse can be god at times depending on what your looking for http://www.weirdstuff.com. If youre adventerous you can head over to the Santa Cruz area. Santa Cruz Brewery and the Seabright Brewery are here.

I'd either head north to San Francisco or go to Marin County if you have time. Or head South to Carmel, Monterey or Big Sur. It depends on what you like to do. If you like beer and electronics I think San Jose might be perfect.
effutuo101
914 stuff:
http://www.partsheaven.com/
Hook up with Andy and NorCal Contingent
Gorndon Birsch downtown San Jose. Short taxi ride from anywhere down town. Good Mexican food. everywhere.
Have fun.
Tobra
I have three words for you

Winchster Mystery House

or, since you have access to a vehicle, you could go to Santa Cruz, nice drive, cold water at the beach, but they have...(watch for popups)

Mystery Spot
neo914-6
Jerry Woods and Smart Racing Products in Campbell
there's a mini-car museum on Bascom

up for driving:
EASY parts in Emeryville
PartsHeaven in Hayward
BlackHawk car museum in Danville

entertainment
Improv comedy house on 2nd, Tied House Brewery & Restaurants in San Pedro Square, Tech Museum on Market, Santana Row, Century dome theaters...

enjoy the "sun" if there is any. laugh.gif
morgan_harwell
>must see" places for electronics surplus

HES, aka Halted Electronics Surplus, at intersection of Central Expressway & Lawerence Expressway.
Porcharu
I'd take a nice drive up highway 9 and have a snack and a good beer here
pub
Check and make sure they are open before going.

Halted used to be a good place to go - more like a junkyard now it's turned into a real mess over the last year. I was there yesterday getting some wire and it took a half hour just to find the wire cutters.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Porcharu @ Apr 2 2006, 12:07 PM)
I'd take a nice drive up highway 9 and have a snack and a good beer here
pub
Check and make sure they are open before going.

Halted used to be a good place to go - more like a junkyard now it's turned into a real mess over the last year.  I was there yesterday getting some wire and it took a half hour just to find the wire cutters.

Thanks so much for this reccomendation about The White Cockade! My wife and I went there last night. This is one of the undiscovered gems in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Great food, beer and the pub is the coolest. My wife and I had dinner, a few pints and played darts with a few other people until midnight last evening.

These guys are hurting due to all the rain. If anyone in the SF Bay Area likes beer and great pub food this is one of the best I have found. I had an incredible ribeye steak - they smoked it for 4 hours before grilling up for order! Fullers ESB on tap! beer.gif
rhodyguy
agree.gif the winchester house is pretty cool. make sure you stay with the guide. you don't want to get lost. that woman was boopshooby. the egyptian museum in downtown sj is interesting too. sand hill road(iirc) is a wild drive, if it's not rained out.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.