Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO gauge replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike McGrath
In my '70 1.7L, there are two guages hanging under the dash. One is pressure and one is temp. The temp gauge has crapped out. Does anyone know if the newer VDO gauges will work? They sell on eBay all day for $10 to $20, but I don't want the hassle if they don't fit. By the way, these are the small gauges, like the ones in a console.

TIA,

Mike (in Portland)

p.s. - anyone know where to find the guage surrounds (little, rubber, round, black)?
Dr Evil
What temp? Oil, CHT? You need to make sure about two things: range of teh meter, and sender. See if you can figure out what sender you have.
Mike McGrath
You mean there is more than one temp to monitor? Shizz...I guess it'd be oil, then. It goes from 120 to 300 or 350F.
Joe Bob
Post pics.....they could be add on gauges. Get a diameter size of the gauge bodies.....the newer ones are smaller than the oem 914 ones. Oem 914 don't have #s.....new ones will in most cases.

Most likely the connections are frazzled....it's rare that a sender or a gauge goes bad...they will be inaccurate but not bad. A CHT doesn't need power just good contact with the thermocouple....oil temp and pressure needs a good ground, POWER and a positive lead from the sender.

ANY one of the three getting corrosion or a break will make it go full to one side or the other when the key comes on. Two or more and it won't read at all....
Mike McGrath
I'll take a picture tomorrow. I don't think it's the wires . . . the needle apparently rusted off and now sits in the bottom of the gauge. According to the PO, it used to work, but who knows? He didn't know how water could have got in there in the first place, either.

Does anyone else have these "add-on" gauges in the early non-console cars? I think I saw a picture of a car with three side-by-side gauges, but haven't seen someone with two, besides me. Maybe the original owner was a CSOB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.