Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warning lights on left gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
Ok, this is kind of a simple question but I haven't been able to find the info anywhere.

On the far left gauge with the fuel level on the bottom, what are the warning lights for in that gauge? There is a small red light and then the black screen across the top.

I just finished putting the engine back together and when I went to start it I got the little red light until the car started. Thats normal. Then the left half of the black screen started blinking orange. I don't know what its for, hell I didn't even know it still worked. blink.gif
cbenitah
QUOTE (LowGT @ Apr 1 2006, 08:46 PM)
Ok, this is kind of a simple question but I haven't been able to find the info anywhere.

On the far left gauge with the fuel level on the bottom, what are the warning lights for in that gauge? There is a small red light and then the black screen across the top.

I just finished putting the engine back together and when I went to start it I got the little red light until the car started. Thats normal. Then the left half of the black screen started blinking orange. I don't know what its for, hell I didn't even know it still worked. blink.gif

hand break... at least on my car biggrin.gif
type47fan
Small red light is the alternator warning light (goes out when the alternator is charging) and the large flashing light is the brake warning light. Tells you that your parking brake is engaged. . . .
How's the little green light (oil pressure) on the right side of the gauge?
LowGT
Handbrake, that's it. Now it makes since it turned off when I started driving, cause I released the handbrake. I wonder why it started working all of a sudden. confused24.gif

The oil light has never come on, I don't know if it even works.

What about the other half of the handbrake warning light? Is that for something else, or is the whole thing supposed to light up for the handbrake?
cbenitah
QUOTE (LowGT @ Apr 1 2006, 09:29 PM)
Handbrake, that's it. Now it makes since it turned off when I started driving, cause I released the handbrake. I wonder why it started working all of a sudden. confused24.gif

What about the other half of the handbrake warning light? Is that for something else, or is the whole thing supposed to light up for the handbrake?

the whole thing lights up bright and shiny
shaggy
the entire top is hand brake its divided into 2 sections both should light (both red)

left middle is alternator (red)

right middle is oil pressure (green) (idiot light)

in the bottom left of the fuel gauge is the low light(orange)
im not sure exactly what it symbolizes (1/4 tank, 1/8 tank?)
i just know that every time i corner and see it flicker i fill up

hope that helps
-shag
Joe Bob
There's a switch in the handbrake.....sometimes they get gunky from not being used.....use it and it gets ungunked..... cool_shades.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(LowGT @ Apr 1 2006, 10:29 PM) *

Handbrake, that's it. Now it makes since it turned off when I started driving, cause I released the handbrake. I wonder why it started working all of a sudden. <!-- emo&:confused: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

Mine just started working all of a sudden too confused24.gif ........ though I wanted to ask anyone who might know where the 'trigger' switch is for the parking brake light?

Also my left turn signal does not flash the lights ...... but when I accidentally leave the post in LH position, the lights stay on after I switch the ignition off ...... unsure.gif ....... any help with either of these questions is very appreciated smile.gif!!!
underthetire
Mine didn't work either until I asked about it here. Little door type plunger switch under the handle. I sprayed a little WD40 type lube around it. Works every time. The turn signal thing with the key off is normal. Asked about that here to.
neil30076

Also my left turn signal does not flash the lights ...... but when I accidentally leave the post in LH position, the lights stay on after I switch the ignition off ...... unsure.gif ....... any help with either of these questions is very appreciated smile.gif!!!

The left hand lights will stay on if you run the ignition off with the left directionals flashing, I believe the right does the same - its a parking light at night!
My 928 and both Land Rovers do this also - its a European 'thing' smile.gif
7TPorsh
I was just going to post a question like this! Thanks for the answer...but, my top crescent shaped light is split in two. Left is the hand brake and the other acts like an alternator light(red)...I don;t see my green one go on at all.
gothspeed
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 22 2009, 02:08 PM) *

Mine didn't work either until I asked about it here. Little door type plunger switch under the handle. I sprayed a little WD40 type lube around it. Works every time. The turn signal thing with the key off is normal. Asked about that here to.

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Jul 22 2009, 02:16 PM) *

The left hand lights will stay on if you run the ignition off with the left directionals flashing, I believe the right does the same - its a parking light at night!
My 928 and both Land Rovers do this also - its a European 'thing' smile.gif

Yes the ignition off 'staying on' part is normal ....... but the LH signal lights do not light or flash at all with the ignition on during normal driving ..... sad.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 22 2009, 02:29 PM) *

I was just going to post a question like this! Thanks for the answer...but, my top crescent shaped light is split in two. Left is the hand brake and the other acts like an alternator light(red)...I don;t see my green one go on at all.

Green one should come on with key on/engine off. Did someone put a oil pressure gauge in ? Maybe the bulb for the oil pressure lamp was switched with the brake lamp by mistake? Burnt out bulb?
7TPorsh
so what should be what?
Click to view attachment

on my car;

1; handbrake
2: on with key and engine off; turns off when i start car (alternator?)
3:doesn't light
4: doesn't light
underthetire
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 22 2009, 04:40 PM) *

so what should be what?
Click to view attachment

on my car;

1; handbrake
2: on with key and engine off; turns off when i start car (alternator?)
3:doesn't light
4: doesn't light

1&2 should be the same. Parking brake/low brake pressure warning
3 generator (charging) lamp. Should come on with the engine not running.
4. oil pressure warning. Should come ON with low/no oil pressure
partsman
3 is alternator
4 is oil pressure

I always thought 1 and 2 were one bulb?? that lit the whole warning light...if they're split I would imagine that one would be a warning for parking brake left one, and the other would be a low brake pressure warning..

Eric
ellisor3
Not to hijack the thread, but my red light just started staying on when the switch is off, and the key is out. WTF.gif I had to disconnect the battery cable to keep from running the battery down.
Dave_Darling
The diodes in the alternator are bad. Time to replace the alt.

--DD
gothspeed
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jul 22 2009, 03:40 PM) *

Yes the ignition off 'staying on' part is normal ....... but the LH signal lights do not light or flash at all with the ignition on during normal driving ..... sad.gif

Can anyone shed light on this problem on my 'quoted' post confused24.gif?
gothspeed
BUMP ^^^^^
7TPorsh
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jul 23 2009, 11:50 AM) *

This sounds like a switch problem; crossed wires maybe. Are there signal light indicators in the gauge?

does anyone have a layout of the backside of the 3 gauges that shows where the wires run to? handbrake, dist., etc.
mburkhart
My alternator light has been going on and off while I'm driving. When it goes on, my tachometer appears to lose power and goes to zero RPM. Seems random when the red light goes on and off while I'm driving. Hitting the brakes while the alternator light is off usually makes it go on.

Does this sound like a short or something bigger? The car seems to run just fine either way.
jt914-6
The reason the park lights stay on the side that the directional lever is depressed with no key in or ign. on is what has been said. It's a european "parking thang". Streets there are narrow, so you leave the lights on the side of the traffic so your car can be seen better.
Also, guys get those red and green lights working. Check bulbs replace ALL of them with new ones. New bulbs are brighter than 30+year old ones with dust on them and they dim with age. Check oil pressure switch if bulb is ok.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(mburkhart @ Jul 28 2009, 08:42 PM) *

My alternator light has been going on and off while I'm driving. When it goes on, my tachometer appears to lose power and goes to zero RPM. Seems random when the red light goes on and off while I'm driving. Hitting the brakes while the alternator light is off usually makes it go on.

Check your fuses. #8 or #9 being popped can cause similar symptoms to these. Remember that our fuses can look OK until you remove them from the holder, when they fall apart. Clean up the holders and the fuse ends as well, while you're in there.

--DD
gothspeed
c
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 24 2009, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jul 23 2009, 11:50 AM) *

This sounds like a switch problem; crossed wires maybe. Are there signal light indicators in the gauge?

does anyone have a layout of the backside of the 3 gauges that shows where the wires run to? handbrake, dist., etc.
thank you all who responded on my signal issues. After all these years and partial reassembly from full paint. It turned out my turn signal stalk/switch was bad. i have restored and repaired most of the electrical harness and connections. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.