Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need info on spacer for the rear wheel!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I wanna have the car reasonably symetrical and I need the thickness of the rear driver's side wheel spacer dimension to have the car look not so Karmanesk. I was wondering who is the best vendor for this pacer and how safe it was to use. I also need the stud dims. Is there a better wayyyyyy? Can ya help a brother out ovahere?

popcorn[1].gif
davep
Not sure what it is you are asking for. There are no wheel spacers used on stock cars, and certainly not one on one side of the car alone. If the rear wheels do not look lined up properly, then there is either body damage, or you need an alignment badly. Sometimes weak springs add to the look.
Joe Bob
Word.....post pics.
hmeeder
Maybe you're referring to the thickness of the rear rotor?

If you weren't familiar with the how the rotor and hub marry, I could see how someone may think there's a spacer there.

Or perhaps the rear alignmemt shims?

At any rate, yeah, there's no stock spacer. These cars are notorious for some variance side to side. It usually is most noticable at the rear tires because everyone tries to stuff as much tire as possible under the rear fender and clearance becomes the issue.

My car seems to be about 1/8 of an inch off.

Can you descirbe your issue better? Rear alignment could be a factor but it probably won't be a huge difference.
JPB
The car is on stands right now and I read that in the rear one wheel well is deaper than the other or something. I looked at what I had and it seems like one tire is deeper in the wheel well than the other and just realised that it may be an illusion since the car is jacked up. I thought that one wheel may had been designed further in the wheel well than the other thus needing a shim behind the rim but might have misenterpreted the info I read. As for the shim deal, I still don't understand it since I haven't disected the rear arm setup yet. This is my first 914 and am learning all I can. Thanks for the interest.
popcorn[1].gif
JPB
When I drop it down in a few weeks for painting, I will see if it is close once its on a flat surface.

beer.gif
Mueller
what kind of rims do you have?

are you sure the car is not "bent"??
JPB
I've been working on it today and its my mostaky. The car is fine and I was looking at it wrong. I just ran a square along the tires to the fenders and they are within a 1/16". What got me is the uneven ground in my driveway which gave it a wierd illusion like one wheel was further in than the other. I just have stock rims and tires on it for the paint booth. Since we are hot on this, I have some 15X5.5 rims and wondered what would be a good set of street sport tires . I wanna drop the car and have the rims higher in the wells. How low can I go without changing to much and whats a good set of skins for this beast?
r_towle
well,
if you have adjustable shock perches for the rear, you can get 205/50/15..they fit and you can drop it enough to get it into the wheel well.

The tire you chose should not have a huge sidewall overhang...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.