Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Suspension Movement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I put in a new pair of Bilsteins this past Winter and my front suspension has absolutely no bounce at all? I've tried adjusting my front ride height - thinking I was bottoming out the strut - and it makes minimal difference? Is this normal? I also installed a new sway bar but this should not affect it? I could not imagine how it would feel with larger T-bars? It is much stiffer than my 911 with upgraded 21mm T-bars?
brp914
I am about to install bil struts/inserts also, and have heard this before. There was a thread in the last few days where it was mentioned that it is better to have 914 struts mod'd for larger brakes (rich johnson?) and 5-lug, rather than put in 911 struts, which may be too stiff for 914. But you can also have yours bils re-valved. I dont recall where, but if you search, you'll finf it.
r_towle
bils are gas shocks...they are much stiffer when pushed by hand..they are designed to be pushed by the force of a 2500 pound car trying to turn...

Dont worry, you will love them..go drive it and see.

Rich
vesnyder
I removed the sway bar just to see if that is limiting the A-arm movement and no effect, but what I think it is is the new A-arm bushings I put in. I suspect that are too tight and provide too much friction? Anybody experienced this?
r_towle
aaahhh, so your question was not totally informative.

The a-arms, not attached to the struts...should swing freely, with little to no resistance...

So, if you put on the poly bushings and did not custom clearance them, thenyes, they will create alot of resistance...

There are several procedures..

Once you get them off, you will use a dremel and a sander set up on a drill press to hone out the insides so they fit perfectly on the end of the a-arm.
Same goes for fitting them into the chassis...the outsides need to be sanded to fit.

After those are done, you need to dremel in several grease paths in a figure 8 pattern and install a zirk fitting so you can grease these every year.

Search here and on pelican parts site for detailed instructions on how to install these bushings.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.