Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing grommet for condensor wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
I am in the midst of trying to change over to petronix(I know, they are the devil Capn Krustofsky)

I was trying to remove the grommet that the little plug for the condensor and negative leads go to, and the thing has a little retaining clip, screwed into the body of the distributor, with the head of the screw very inaccesible, is there a trick to removing this, do I have to pull the distributor to get at it?

Help please
bd1308
I have to remove the dizzy to get at these bolts.

the trick is getting a 13mm socket onto that nut on the case by the dizzy, take that off and pull up.

bingo. dizzy removed without messing with timing.

b
Tobra
Success! clap56.gif

I must say it was very easy, I don't see what all the fuss is about, it is almost Tobyproof. I used a #61 beaver blade in a small handle to attenuate the grommet a bit, slid it out, put the new coil and the petronix in(interestingly, the label is down on the bosch blue coil with the + and - terminals on the coil in the same orientation, perhaps that contributes to the issues.)

I don't care if I can read the label, so I hook it up, pull the coil wire and turn it over a bit, don't hear any rubbing in the cap. Hook it all up, fire it on the first turn of the key, but the motor starts racing, shut it down, try again and same thing. Thinking I did something wrong, I shut it down, go back and there is a vaccum hose pulled off below the throttle body, hook it up, and she purrs like a kitten.

It is raining, so I have not taken it out, but the car never starts on the first try. Key on, fuel pump runs, start car, stumbles and dies. Usually took 2-3 tries to get it idling right, but then it is fine, or so I thought until now. The thing fires right up, idles with no stumbles, throttle response is FAR better, revs quickly and cleanly. I have not put a light on it, but the timing should not have changed. Will check the timing when I can run it around and get it up to operating temp, I can hardly wait. drooley.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.