Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener tuesday puget sound teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131
Daiberl
Welcome, looking forward to see you at one of the get-together! Saw another cooper metallic 75 or 76 here in Shoreline yesterday, parked in a drive way, looks like currently registered.
PanelBilly
Do they allow you to park a 914 on the island?

Welcome to the team
Greggers914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 9 2012, 05:01 PM) *

Do they allow you to park a 914 on the island?

Welcome to the team

I mostly hide it, and if a friend does see me driving it I tell him it's my kids car. smile.gif

Truth is I really like 914's. I had a green 1.8 in a past life and drove it from Seattle to Phoenix with a GF in the early 80's. We camped and stopped all over Idaho, Utah and AZ. On the way back, while doing about 70 mph just west of Reno at night I hit a big mule deer buck. Not good. Car was basically totaled. We were not Hurt luckily, but the deer went very nearly all the way through the windshield.

I bought this car because it has a practically unblemished interior -no cracks, perfect seats - and had been stored inside for years. No rust.

Anyway, I look forward to coming to teener Tuesdays.

Were any of you at the XXX Porsche day this summer? I drove the 911 cab there, but saw several really nice 914's.
messix
naw, none of us would be caught dead in a ass dragger! slap.gif

'cept geenie 'cause he is just one of those over compensating kinda guys and he's scared of going under the knife for the implant! happy11.gif

Daiberl
Would anyone be interested in getting together next week Wednesday, December 19th, at the Big E Ale brewery? We met there around 1 year ago, would be fun to see a few of you before the year ends.

- Juergen
messix
sure
audio_file
Let's!
Daiberl
Great, I will be there on December 19th at around 6 PM, it's chicken wing days, link to the brewery is http://bigeales.com/.
- Juergen
Greggers914
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Dec 10 2012, 09:26 PM) *

Great, I will be there on December 19th at around 6 PM, it's chicken wing days, link to the brewery is http://bigeales.com/.
- Juergen

I will try. have kids. christmas time not always good.

Greg
PanelBilly
I've put it on my calendar.
aircooledtechguy
Cool. I'll put it on my calender.

I gotta say though that this is dangerously close to a mall for me that near to Christmas. . . santa_smiley.gif
a914622
We can call it the end of days gathering! isnt the world going to end on the 20th or something?

I had a copper 75 about 9-10 years back. 1.8 37k on the clock. I sold it for a song because i couldnt see it living under a tarp at the new house. Oh mistakes we make!

see ya on the 19th.

jcl
InkyP
Wish I was in town on the 19th but Dallas is sunny and warm.

You would think with Dallas being bigger than Seattle there would be more teener action on CL but there isn't. I have yet to see one down here but still looking.

Have a great time and will see you guys on the other side of doom!
Greggers914
QUOTE(InkyP @ Dec 14 2012, 06:41 AM) *

Wish I was in town on the 19th but Dallas is sunny and warm.

You would think with Dallas being bigger than Seattle there would be more teener action on CL but there isn't. I have yet to see one down here but still looking.

Have a great time and will see you guys on the other side of doom!

I am planning on being there on the 19th unless its pouring down (- I heard 914's tend to melt in the rain). I have a question for you guys: the 75 I bought has the stock steel wheels. i think the current tires are fairly old and 155. whats the best tire for that rim? Can I go with 195? 185? (I've never bought tires for a 914, so have no clue)

Greg James
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(Greggers914 @ Dec 17 2012, 02:51 PM) *

I am planning on being there on the 19th unless its pouring down (- I heard 914's tend to melt in the rain). I have a question for you guys: the 75 I bought has the stock steel wheels. i think the current tires are fairly old and 155. whats the best tire for that rim? Can I go with 195? 185? (I've never bought tires for a 914, so have no clue)

Greg James

My car came with 165's on it. . . I got a set of Bridgestone 205/60/HR15s and while they were decent tires, a 205 is a large as you can go on a 5.5" rim and thus there was a lot of sidewall flex during hard driving.

I have since replaced those with a set of Goodyear EagleGTs in 195/60VR/15 and the look is perfect IMHO and feel is much more positive. The jury is still out on how they perform since I only have a few hard drives on them. 195/60 IMHO is the perfect size for a 15' rim on these cars. A 195/50 gives good performance and handling but is just too small in diameter. It looks funny and makes your speedo read way off.
Daiberl
Just a bump for Wednesday, hope to see a few of you at the Big E Brew house! Good chicken wings on Wednesdays and the beer is also good biggrin.gif
NORD

Cannot make Wend. Have other Club Meeting to attend. CSCC. santa_smiley.gif
messix
i'll be there
Mr.242
I saw a yellow '73 914 on Roanoke Street tonight at 4:30p.

One of us? MARCO?
audio_file
See yous guys around 6, just a great excuse for one of their coleslaw burgers and a nummy brew!!
PanelBilly
My list to do has exceeded the hours in my day. I won't be with you tonight, but I lift my glass and toast the brotherhood of teenerdom.
messix
on my way
Daiberl
On my way in 10 minutes, have to drop off my daughter first.
Greggers914
guys,
kids, rain, holidays, divorce, etc. couldn't make it tonight. looking forward to meeting everyone in the future. I'm in on the "teener Tuesday" thing for sure.
Also, if anyone works in the Renton area, my office is down there, by IKEA, and I could do a teener lunch meet! (that sounds funny to say)

Greg James

Eddie914
I was hoping to make the event last night. There was too much holiday and year end business activity on my plate.

I hope everyone had a great time.

Cheers,

Eddie
Greggers914
fuel pump!

When I had the car stored on my warehouse, we routinely started it every couple of months. no problem - it always started.

now that I've decided to get it all sorted out and running well, its refused to start twice. the last time, Akers diagnosed it as a "relay" problem and get it running well (and tuned up). now it won't start again (The battery is brand new). I'm guessing its the fuel pump. is the fuel pump easy to replace? can a guy like me with only thumbs and no experience working on cars do it? (I don't want tp pay for another tow to Akers)

Greg
914werke
Greg if its the 75 in your signature, dead simple.
Open the front trunk, remove 4 screws holding the pump cover plate,
Pull/jiggle the pump & attached lines towards you enough to access fuel line clamps on either end and electrical connections R&R ...then drive!
santa_smiley.gif bye1.gif
sixnotfour
try wiggling the fuel pump relay, the scokets can get corroded. and roll the fuse (new contact)
Greggers914
I found the four screws and opened it up. Ok, now, how do you get it out? The pump seems to be inside and connected to hoses, etc. no idea how you get it out???
Am I missing something?

Greg
KELTY360
QUOTE(Greggers914 @ Dec 23 2012, 11:19 PM) *

I found the four screws and opened it up. Ok, now, how do you get it out? The pump seems to be inside and connected to hoses, etc. no idea how you get it out???
Am I missing something?

Greg

Have you got a replacement pump yet? Probably best not to take it all apart til you have the new pump. Be sure you have some appropriate diameter bolts, or golf tees, on hand to plug the lines when you disconnect.

I live close to MI and could give you a hand if it would help. You can call me at 425-235- ate three ate three.
Greggers914
Thanks Marc.
I may take you upon the offer. I got it opened up, but could not figure out how you could take it out without forcing something. I might take another look this morning.

Who do you like to buy 914 parts from? Pelican?

Greg
PanelBilly
I use drill bit to plug the lines. Its easy to find one the right size. Pelican is a great source, but you might post a want ad and find a member who has an extra new in the box one. Seems part of the hobby is buying things and putting them on the shelf...
Greggers914
Marc,
thanks for coming by. I must be the worlds worst guy at working on cars. after much ado, I realized (After hooking up a new fuel pump) that the problem actually was the fuse is the relay area. I put in a new one (given to me by Denny Akers), and the pump came to life. However, the car still wouldn't start. I then realized I connected the fuel lines incorrectly, and attached the line from the tank to the top of the fuel pump, and the line that goes to the injectors to the fuel filter. Arg! - Ok, onward and upward - I changed them around (Thanks Nate for the call), and the car still wouldn't start. I then started to wonder why the car was not starting when everything seemed to be right. Nate also told me that the brown electircal line goes to the negative and not positive on the fuel pump! (I though it originally came off the positive, and even marked it). I had them connected wrong also. When I get home I will chnage them around and see if it will start (and by now the battery is running down).

anyway, I long ago leanred to never work on my own cars. just more proof of how bad I am at it.

Greggers
messix
you gotta move off of mercedes rock..... happy11.gif

i'm sure just making the move would improve your mechanical aptitude!!!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Greggers914 @ Dec 27 2012, 02:30 PM) *

Marc,
thanks for coming by. I must be the worlds worst guy at working on cars. after much ado, I realized (After hooking up a new fuel pump) that the problem actually was the fuse is the relay area. I put in a new one (given to me by Denny Akers), and the pump came to life. However, the car still wouldn't start. I then realized I connected the fuel lines incorrectly, and attached the line from the tank to the top of the fuel pump, and the line that goes to the injectors to the fuel filter. Arg! - Ok, onward and upward - I changed them around (Thanks Nate for the call), and the car still wouldn't start. I then started to wonder why the car was not starting when everything seemed to be right. Nate also told me that the brown electircal line goes to the negative and not positive on the fuel pump! (I though it originally came off the positive, and even marked it). I had them connected wrong also. When I get home I will chnage them around and see if it will start (and by now the battery is running down).

anyway, I long ago leanred to never work on my own cars. just more proof of how bad I am at it.

Greggers

Sounds like you're making progress. You've already learned to consult Nate, instead of me, which many will tell you is a huge step in the right direction. biggrin.gif Hope it's something simple and you'll be back on the road. Nice car you've got there, I look forward to seeing it on the road.
sixnotfour
I guess you missed this;
try wiggling the fuel pump relay, the scokets can get corroded. and roll the fuse (new contact)

Akers Consultant
914werke
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 27 2012, 04:10 PM) *
I guess you missed this;
Akers Consultant

Why so coy confused24.gif
Try this on for size "I TOLD YOU SO" biggrin.gif
Greggers914
it now runs like a "scalded cougar". OK. I learned. much time wasted for nothing.
What is a scoket? had you said socket i would have understood.

question (i'll listen this time) how can I get my dash lights brighter? can I install a bigger bulb to get a brighter Tach at night?

is it easy to put on one of those big side stickers (Assume its a sticker) that says PORSCHE on the lower side of the car? - I like them, and think it would look cool. if I'm as bad at putting a sticker on as I am at chaging a fuel pump (that didn't need changing) im not going to do it myself. where can you buy one?

Greg
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Greggers914 @ Dec 28 2012, 03:29 AM) *

question (i'll listen this time) how can I get my dash lights brighter? can I install a bigger bulb to get a brighter Tach at night?

Greg

Take off your sunglasses when driving at night, then the dashlights are brighter.
shades.gif
Greggers914
Funny.
Any other thoughts?
sdthomas
You could upgrade your gage with LED lighting:

http://nhspeedometer.com/914/1.htm
messix
new bulbs and or take apart the gauge and repaint the inside silver or white...
there have been a couple of past threads about this, do a search
Daiberl
Happy new year to all PNW Teeners!
Starting the year with working on the 911, putting on a new top. Billy plans to stop by later so if someone else wants to come over in the afternoon to help feel free smile.gif
Greggers914
Guys,
I was on vacation for a few days. I lost several emails, etc. Someone sent me a message about meeting tomorrow at Herfys in Renton for lunch. I lost the message, and forgot what time it was.
Whoever sent it, can we do 11:30? I'm good to go, and will be there. (The Herfys on 180th next to the Pizza place right?)

Unbeleivably, I went from Rain in Cabo to clear up here. (Although it was a lot warmer down there).

Saw several really cool VW powered dune buggies on the road.

Greg James
a914622
Whens the next meet up? I need to discuss the going price for a set of 5- 2.0 fuchs?
and some of them yummy wings?

jcl
Greggers914
im easy. the weather looks good for the next couple of weeks.

Greg james
Daiberl
Don't know the going price for Fuchs, sorry, but count me in for some yummy wings! Will be traveling next week so either this Wednesday or the last week in January work for me.
InkyP
I'm game! When and were?
aircooledtechguy
Count me in whenever. The only commitment I know of is Jan 22nd. Other than that, I'm free..

I don't know tje going price either, buy I know it's NOT the $800+ that the bonehead on craiglist has had them advertized for the past 1.5 years. . . sheesh. . . blink.gif rolleyes.gif
Daiberl
If we want to go for wings Wednesday would work best at Big E Alehouse, so either the 16th or the 30th. I can do both days biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.