Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener tuesday puget sound teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131
914werke
biggrin.gif Bring it.
Name your poison beer.gif
We can run it around the lot till John gets Pissy lol-2.gif
a914622
I'm going but not sure if I'm bringing sale stuff or not.
Bleyseng
I'll come early so what place are you going for breakfast?
aircooledtechguy
I'm out this year sad.gif Have fun guys!!
Daiberl
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 27 2016, 07:12 AM) *

I'll come early so what place are you going for breakfast?

Not sure what the name of the restaurant was we went last year, breakfast was OK and it was not too far away. Best breakfast I think in this area I think is Pete's Eggnest in Greenwood, will probably go there on my way home.
KELTY360
Sorry guys, something came up, not going to make it.
rjames
How was it? I couldn't go this year, but hope the 914 was represented well.
Daiberl
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 30 2016, 10:15 PM) *

How was it? I couldn't go this year, but hope the 914 was represented well.

You didn't miss too much, not to many people selling this year, didn't find anything I needed, and not too many 914 parts. A few 914 showed up, a guy came in a nice 914-6, sunflower yellow, forgot his name.
bradtho
I think his name was Bob
rhodyguy
Having it scheduled on the same weekend as the Seafair festivities doesn't help with attendence. People plan their summer around Seafair. Fewer sellers and buyers every year.
PanelBilly
How about a Tuesday night get together
rhodyguy
How about the Ram brewery/restaurant on south hill in Puyallup at 6pm?
Daiberl
Would be in if we can meet somewhere central, maybe in Seattle or Bellevue (Bellevue Brewing Company?).
Yotracr
QUOTE(bradtho @ Jul 31 2016, 10:27 AM) *

I think his name was Bob

That would be me.
bradtho
welcome.png
PanelBilly
Bellevue brewery works for me.
Daiberl
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 1 2016, 08:44 PM) *

Bellevue brewery works for me.

I think I could do tomorrow, next week I will be in Milwaukee and I don't think I will be home before 9 PM, then vacation for a week.
jsaum
I could go for a beer! Let me know if it's a go I'll check back later.
PanelBilly
6pm at Bellevue Brewery tonight then.
jsaum
OK I'm in!
PanelBilly
I'm going to drive the teener too
Daiberl
Plan to be there, not driving a teener sad.gif
moldygreg
Howdy-

Does anyone in the Seattle area have a recommendation for brake work? And approximate cost?

I want to replace the master cylinder with a 19mm.

After taking the engine out, refreshing it and putting the FI back to stock, I think I'm going to do myself a favor and outsource the job. Tired of crawling under the car!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks-

Greg driving.gif
bradtho
Monty at Redmond European regularly works on air cooled porsches. One day when I dropped my car off there were 4 914's in his lot. I think the fact that others in town won't work on 914's helps his business some.
moldygreg
QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 6 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Monty at Redmond European regularly works on air cooled porsches. One day when I dropped my car off there were 4 914's in his lot. I think the fact that others in town won't work on 914's helps his business some.

Thanks for the recommendation! That's what I was looking for, someone who wouldn't mind working on teeners!

I'll have him do brakes and a tune.

Got the motor back in the car today, and it running. Still gotta get it dialed in. I spent way too much time gapping the points.

Had the car idling and timed correct, then drove in the alley and stalled. I suspect due to the clutch not disengaging causing the car to lug and stall.

Trying to eat this elephant one bite at a time!

Appreciate it.

Greg
PanelBilly
John Walker is a wonderful guy and if I was paying someone to do work I'd rather give him my money. Your other option is to pull out the bbq and stock the fridge with brew. There's quite a few of us that could give you a hand for less $$$ although you'd have to put up with the bs
moldygreg
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 7 2016, 09:03 AM) *

John Walker is a wonderful guy and if I was paying someone to do work I'd rather give him my money. Your other option is to pull out the bbq and stock the fridge with brew. There's quite a few of us that could give you a hand for less $$$ although you'd have to put up with the bs

Thanks Billy!
I can definitely do that! Was thinking of hosting a work party just to verify my timing and valve clearances. I'd hate to have folks do brakes though. That seems mean. LOL.

Good tip on John. He was who I was going to take 911sc to but totally wasn't thinking about the 914.

This is Miles ' car that he bought when he was 14 and I'm trying to get it really dialed in (maybe there's no such thing as 914 nirvana)for his 18th birthday at the end if the month.

I'm in West Seattle so we could also do an Alki drive.

I'll keep you all posted. driving.gif
bradtho
Walker (and Chris) are the 2 guys I regularly hear won't work on 914's. Maybe they mean they won't work on Type IV's.

Either way, Monty is a good guy and has done some great work for me, though it's hardly convenient to West Seattle!

I'd be fine sitting in your driver seat pumping the brake pedal for you. it's easy work. smile.gif
moldygreg
QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 8 2016, 10:23 AM) *

Walker (and Chris) are the 2 guys I regularly hear won't work on 914's. Maybe they mean they won't work on Type IV's.

Either way, Monty is a good guy and has done some great work for me, though it's hardly convenient to West Seattle!

I'd be fine sitting in your driver seat pumping the brake pedal for you. it's easy work. smile.gif

Quick question - By Chris, you mean Chris Powell, I'm assuming?

I got a pedal pumping monkey, I'm thinking the Master Cylinder install is NOT going to be fun due to not being able to get the car up high enough.

Appreciate the advice and offer!!!

smile.gif

bradtho
I couldn't remember Chris's official business name, it's apparently Chris' German Auto Service, http://chrisgerman.com/. my comments should be in the heresay category, I've never asked Chris or Walker to work on a 914, so don't know for sure. Both are very well regarded for Porsche air-cooled work.
6freak
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Aug 8 2016, 12:13 PM) *

I got a pedal pumping monkey, I'm thinking the Master Cylinder install is NOT going to be fun due to not being able to get the car up high enough.

smile.gif

maybe i could host a work party ?moose burgers and brakes for the kid.. save a buck and have fun do n it
moldygreg
QUOTE(bradtho @ Aug 8 2016, 12:16 PM) *

I couldn't remember Chris's official business name, it's apparently Chris' German Auto Service, http://chrisgerman.com/. my comments should be in the heresay category, I've never asked Chris or Walker to work on a 914, so don't know for sure. Both are very well regarded for Porsche air-cooled work.

Yeah, that's Chris Powell. Super knowledgeable guy. He's active with PCA and has hosted many workshops.

I was under the same impression that John Walker doesn't work on 914's much-- I could totally be wrong. I'll give them both a call as well as Monty.

We're have an abundance of great Porsche shops around year.... didn't know if one in particular rose to the top pertaining to Type 4/ 914s.

Thanks again.
moldygreg
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 8 2016, 02:26 PM) *

smile.gif

maybe i could host a work party ?moose burgers and brakes for the kid.. save a buck and have fun do n it

That's awfully kind and would be amazing! pray.gif I'll let you know. I got the car running again just now, but it's dying on me.

Just posted in the garage seeking troubleshooting steps.

Something goofy going on somewhere.

Many many thanks for the host offer!

If I can get this baby running ... I'm bringing a keg! I've earned it.

6freak
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Aug 8 2016, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 8 2016, 02:26 PM) *

smile.gif

That's awfully kind and would be amazing! pray.gif I'll let you know. I got the car running again just now, but it's dying on me.

Just posted in the garage seeking troubleshooting steps.

Something goofy going on somewhere.

Many many thanks for the host offer!

If I can get this baby running ... I'm bringing a keg! I've earned it.

10 4 just pay n it forward smile.gif
Eddie914
Moldygreg,

Where in West Seattle?

I live near Alki Beach.

Cheers,

Eddie
moldygreg
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Aug 9 2016, 08:15 AM) *

Moldygreg,

Where in West Seattle?

I live near Alki Beach.

Cheers,

Eddie

Hey Eddie, nice to virtually meet you.

I'm on 40th Ave near Fairmont Park between Morgan and Alaska junctions.

Greg

moldygreg

Moldygreg,

Where in West Seattle?

I live near Alki Beach.

Cheers,

Eddie

Ooops.... double post, thus the edit.
If you drive through the alley, just listen for swear words. That's me.
smile.gif
Yotracr
So, we were walking along View Ave and Esplanade in North Beach (North Ballard)
A couple goes by in a white 914-6 with small roll bar and a trunk spoiler, my car is two blocks up the hill in a garage, who was this and do you live around Ballard??

Bob
messix
i think "fast eddie" has/had a white 4 with 5 lug fuchs
Yotracr
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 20 2016, 12:55 PM) *

i think "fast eddie" has/had a white 4 with 5 lug fuchs

Definitely a Six
bradtho
sheesh, quiet month around here, no posts since 8/20. I really enjoyed the Artist point run. we should do better than one drive a year, though clearly this is the wrong season to bring that up!

Anyway, after several years of talking about it, I'm ready to start my 6 conversion. So if you have an engine hiding in your shed, or know a guy, or hear about something let me know. I'd consider anything from a 2.4 - 3.2. My opinion changes regularly on that, and I figure it's likely best to be a bit open in case a great option pops up.
piscean914
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Aug 5 2016, 08:37 PM) *

Howdy-

Does anyone in the Seattle area have a recommendation for brake work? And approximate cost?

I want to replace the master cylinder with a 19mm.

After taking the engine out, refreshing it and putting the FI back to stock, I think I'm going to do myself a favor and outsource the job. Tired of crawling under the car!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks-

Greg driving.gif

just catching up - give adam bruno a call 206 914 0512 - adam used to work for jack morris at wolfsburg motors in ballard - jack moved his business to utah - adam is a great guy, and very knowledgeable with all air cooled porsche's - he gets busy though - hope this helps - p.s. walker is the man, but he prefers to stick to the air-cooled 911's
piscean914
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 26 2016, 08:48 PM) *

sheesh, quiet month around here, no posts since 8/20. I really enjoyed the Artist point run. we should do better than one drive a year, though clearly this is the wrong season to bring that up!

check the local pelican board for drives - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pacific-nor...wa-id-ut-hi-ak/ - some get posted - some of the canadian guys on the board have very spirited drives planned on an email list - i went with them to eastern wa, or, and lewiston id last weekend - 1250 miles and very very fast driving in my 914!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfVVCYhsf0

the next drive will be out of the dalles next month

brad
PanelBilly
If there's any of you guys that don't have a "family" to eat with on Thursday, you're welcome to join us. We rented the club house for our neighborhood and there's plenty of room.
6freak
QUOTE(bradtho @ Sep 26 2016, 07:48 PM) *

Anyway, after several years of talking about it, I'm ready to start my 6 conversion. So if you have an engine hiding in your shed, or know a guy, or hear about something let me know. I'd consider anything from a 2.4 - 3.2. My opinion changes regularly on that, and I figure it's likely best to be a bit open in case a great option pops up.

2.4 is plenty of power! and it runs cool enough without an extra radiator,but thats pushing it according to Bruce Anderson IIRR he says anything over 170hp should have added cooling but this is the GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST
smile.gif
Eddie914
I agree a 3.2 is plenty of power ... but I am the kind of person that cuts an air vent in the middle of the hood ...
bradtho
After much back and forth with Hines, I settled on a 3.2 based on my driving habits (daily driver). A spin in greenie's Carrera helped seal the deal.

In other news, I've got a metal radio plate that I need to cut for a slightly bigger hole. It's probably 14-16 gauge metal and I just need to make straight cuts. What's the best CSOB tool for something like this? Or maybe someone close has a plasma cutter? smile.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Nov 22 2016, 05:18 PM) *

I agree a 3.2 is plenty of power ... but I am the kind of person that cuts an air vent in the middle of the hood ...

its "fast" Eddie for a reason biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(bradtho @ Nov 22 2016, 09:49 PM) *

After much back and forth with Hines, I settled on a 3.2 based on my driving habits (daily driver). A spin in greenie's Carrera helped seal the deal.

In other news, I've got a metal radio plate that I need to cut for a slightly bigger hole. It's probably 14-16 gauge metal and I just need to make straight cuts. What's the best CSOB tool for something like this? Or maybe someone close has a plasma cutter? smile.gif

adding a buch of money to your build and headaches with extra plumbing and all that goes with to have power you cant use seems illogical ....but i bet a 3.2 would be lots of fun to drive on a course with a TBD installed other wise im guessing lots of tire spin im very happy with the 2.4+ in my car... it has plenty of haul ass

hope for a sunny day soon and well take her for a spin and invite Kurt and that slow ass 911 biggrin.gif for a joy run up I-90
mountainroads
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Aug 9 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Moldygreg,

Where in West Seattle?

I live near Alki Beach.

Cheers,

Eddie

Hey Eddie, nice to virtually meet you.

I'm on 40th Ave near Fairmont Park between Morgan and Alaska junctions.

Greg

Hello Greg, Eddie:

Stumbled across this post when the "Puget Sound Teeners" thread moved back into the spotlight. Good to know there's a couple other addicts in West Seattle. I'm still waiting for my teener to be finished. Currently at the upholstery shop in Ballard. It's been a journey. Would be great to meet up somewhere in WS to swap lies, do a drive, etc. sometime this coming year. I live above Alki, near Schmitz Park.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

- MR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.