Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener tuesday puget sound teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131
n2j2ryan
Anyone in the PNW planning on coming to Victoria in the very near future. I will pay your ferry to get here, if you can pick up some rocker panels and Valance on your way through Bellingham.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 1 2018, 09:58 AM) *

Put me down as a 'maybe'. I've only pulled the transmission (about a dozen times) but haven't done the engine yet. Would love to witness/help with an engine removal.
PM me your address and time you want to start when you get a chance and hopefully I'll be able to attend.

PM sent.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rocky @ Mar 1 2018, 07:19 PM) *

Its been a long time Marc and I would love to help! That happens to be my birthday so unless my wife has ideas its my mine to decide av-943.gif
If I am free I shall be there!

Hey Rocky! Just tell her you have to go out and look for your balls. lol-2.gif Hope you can make it.
Rocky
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 1 2018, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Rocky @ Mar 1 2018, 07:19 PM) *

Its been a long time Marc and I would love to help! That happens to be my birthday so unless my wife has ideas its my mine to decide av-943.gif
If I am free I shall be there!

Hey Rocky! Just tell her you have to go out and look for your balls. lol-2.gif Hope you can make it.

bootyshake.gif
If anyone wants another project in their garage, I'll have a used sideshift transmission available eventually ... maybe sometime this year. A Dr. Evil rebuild is on a westbound truck as we speak. But then it will just sit for a long time because I'm waiting on Tangerine Racing's shift linkage, and Foley says he's backed up for weeks.

No word on how my car is doing at Chris's German Auto.

I've sent photos of my wrecked center console to Rich's shop in Kingston and he's confident he can redo it (which means I wouldn't have to redo the whole dashboard to move the controls to their stock location). I'm not sure the sequence I should follow. If I drove the car right now, the heater controls would be bouncing all around, which can't be good for the cables and stuff. There may be some way to zip tie them to something temporarily.
sportlicherFahrer
Marc I'm in for the 11th as well, just need to be out near Graham at 4.
rhodyguy
A noon startup might put some attendees in a sheduling bind. Perhaps begin a bit earlier? I know I would prefer it but I wake up at 4am. My day is half over by noon. Maybe start a stand alone thread about the work party?
PanelBilly
Ya. How about a first shift? We might have it done before the second shift starts.

Or they can clean up our mess
sportlicherFahrer
HA! Typical first shift! bootyshake.gif
KELTY360
OK, let's change things up a little. First, I think moving the starting time up a little is a good idea - let's make it 10:00. Second, I'm debating whether I should just pull the tranny, since the only work on the engine is to replace the rear seal and check the flywheel.

I'll start a separate thread and post details there.
rhodyguy
smilie_pokal.gif see you @ 9:30. biggrin.gif do you have a FW lock for removing the bolts?
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 5 2018, 07:35 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif see you @ 9:30. biggrin.gif do you have a FW lock for removing the bolts?

I've got a homemade one. If you've got the real deal, bring it along.
I got my car back from Chris’s German Auto without any repairs done, as they seem to be extremely busy. I was hoping they’d at least replace the door lock cores with the replacements I supplied, but not even that happened. If any shade tree mechanics would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash. Suggesting Saturday so as not to conflict with the tranny party Sunday.
rhodyguy
What part of the lock assems need replacing? Do you have the parts they were to install in hand? Bring your car, the weather will be swell.
914work
QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 06:35 PM) *

If any would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash.

Ive made a couple offers now....? confused24.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 09:35 PM) *

I got my car back from Chris’s German Auto without any repairs done, as they seem to be extremely busy. I was hoping they’d at least replace the door lock cores with the replacements I supplied, but not even that happened. If any shade tree mechanics would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash. Suggesting Saturday so as not to conflict with the tranny party Sunday.

Why don't you bring your car to the meet up Sunday at Marc's (KELTY360) and maybe we can help you out with it? I'm sure that their will be plenty of people available that can give a hand.
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2018, 07:11 PM) *

Why don't you bring your car to the meet up Sunday at Marc's (KELTY360) and maybe we can help you out with it?

I've been planning to attend that, and now there's a minor medical problem in my family that may (possibly) prevent that. Also I didn't want to distract people from the main event.
QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 9 2018, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 06:35 PM) *

If any would be willing to take this on Saturday late afternoon (or supervise me to make sure I don’t screw it up) I’d be happy to pay whatever Chris’s shop rate would have been in cash.

Ive made a couple offers now....? confused24.gif

Thanks! PM sent!
jcambo7
QUOTE(98101 @ Mar 9 2018, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2018, 07:11 PM) *

Why don't you bring your car to the meet up Sunday at Marc's (KELTY360) and maybe we can help you out with it?

I've been planning to attend that, and now there's a minor medical problem in my family that may (possibly) prevent that. Also I didn't want to distract people from the main event.

Understandable about the family event. The tranny being removed is actually quite simple and doesn't take many hands. So any extra could help with your locks.
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 9 2018, 07:18 PM) *

Understandable about the family event. The tranny being removed is actually quite simple and doesn't take many hands. So any extra could help with your locks.

914werke/Rich got the locks working well enough to secure the car (as much as a 914 can be secured). Also found the first clues of possible extensive rust that had eluded the eyes of those not familiar with 914s.

Still hoping to appear tomorrow. It will be later so I can let my wife sleep in while I’m taking care of our little girls.
PanelBilly
Just some photos of last Sunday's fun

What am I looking at?

Click to view attachment

And some evidence that this car needs to see some road time

Click to view attachment

And you can see that the car is serving a worthy purpose (as a spider's home!)

Click to view attachment
I've been assuming I need to do something about my oil leaks (and even bought a rear main seal from GoWesty) because the bottom of the car is wet and you can smell it cooking on the exhaust. But then I realized I've got 10W-30 oil in the crankcase because the previous owner in California chose this for engine break in. Searching the archives here seems to suggest a straight weight oil might be better for the Type 4. So maybe it's leaking so much just because it's such thin oil?

I'm curious what oil other people in my region are using, since the advice here might be different from SoCal. So far I don't seem to get oil temps above 80C (176F).

Incidentally, I saw TWO other 914 owners on my way to the upholstery shop in Kingston today. One was a green or yellow car that zipped by in my peripheral vision somewhere around Edmonds. Another was a younger guy named Eric who noticed my none-more-black car parked near a playground I took my daughter to next to the Kingston Community Center.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=643
648]
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
Looks like the push rod tube seals. Very common. When you replace them ask for the better quality Viton seals which should buy you a little time before you have to replace them again.
QUOTE(Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You @ Mar 21 2018, 08:26 PM) *

Looks like the push rod tube seals. Very common. When you replace them ask for the better quality Viton seals which should buy you a little time before you have to replace them again.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's one source of the leaks. I'm wondering whether it's actually kind of expected given the thin break-in oil I've got, which is why I'm asking what other people in this region are running.
scallyk9
I'm running Valvoline VR-1 Racing 20w-50w in my '74 CanAm LE with a stock FI 2.0 motor. It's around the highest zinc content oil commonly found at an auto parts store.

The other '74 914 with an '87 3.2L Carrera motor gets by on Swepco 306, also 20w-50w.

We live in a mild climate so we don't get the temperature extremes some areas have. Both cars started easily in our last freezing.
PlaysWithCars
Unfortunately I don't think that much oil is from using a thinner viscosity. I agree with Mr. Olympic's assessment: you need to replace those push rod tube seals ASAP. Its a shame that a fresh build motor is leaking already, but the good news is that you can replace them before you end up with years of grime under the car. What's there should clean up pretty easily.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Mar 23 2018, 08:56 PM) *

Unfortunately I don't think that much oil is from using a thinner viscosity. I agree with Mr. Olympic's assessment: you need to replace those push rod tube seals ASAP. Its a shame that a fresh build motor is leaking already, but the good news is that you can replace them before you end up with years of grime under the car. What's there should clean up pretty easily.

agree.gif Fairly easy job to do at least.
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Mar 23 2018, 08:56 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the advice.

The clutch is slipping intermittently, possibly due to contamination. So, yeah, I'd like to get the leaking down to whatever the normal amount is before risking ruining another clutch.

Today the car is at the Kingston upholstery shop for a new center deposit box / console and stuff, then planning to visit Rich/914werke in a couple days to pull the rocker panels and see whether the rust is as bad as everyone's predicting.
PanelBilly
Installing heat exchangers has turned out to be a bigger job than I had imagined. First off removing the old headers was a pain. One of the nuts is in a spot that required two different wrenches to turn. Tiny turn with one wrench, then switch to the other one for another tiny turn and repeat. I was glad to finely get it off.

When I did my trial fit of the HEs I found out that the oil lines that cleared the headers didn’t clear the larger heater boxes. Now I’m working on engineering new lines. Fortunately I found a shop in Kent where I can get custom lines made.
PanelBilly
Got the barrel nuts in the mail last night. Now I need to buy an Allen wrench long enough to reach thru the heat exchangers. Crawling under that car is getting harder every year. Wish I had room for a real lift.
rhodyguy
Harbor freight sells long Allen wrenches with T handles.
PanelBilly
Any of you locals have anything to donate to my Rotary auction. I'm the president of the club, so I'm digging deep to drum up donations. Smaller stuff that people can carry home the night of the auction work best. Autographed jerseys, footballs, baseballs and that kind of stuff are always in demand. The event is May 5th and I really need to have things in hand a week or so earlier. So look around the house and see if there's a valuable you don't care so much about anymore.

Thanks
I have this event in my calendar:

All Porsche Show
Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in
98 NE Gilman Blvd, Issaquah, WA 98027

Anyone else thinking about going? I don't want to give a bad impression of 914s in general by only bringing my car....

Not sure the start time.
piscean914
QUOTE(98101 @ Apr 20 2018, 09:20 AM) *

I have this event in my calendar:

All Porsche Show
Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in
98 NE Gilman Blvd, Issaquah, WA 98027

Anyone else thinking about going? I don't want to give a bad impression of 914s in general by only bringing my car....

Not sure the start time.

i will be there in my 914 - i hope to get there between 9:30 - 10:00 am, and i expect to leave after lunch - the XXX is a cash only establishment - ethanol free fuel at the grange across the street - brad
Daiberl
Will miss it this time, already plans for the weekend.
AfricanHijinx
next weekend it the PNW Spring meet at the Bellevue collage. I will be at there with a thing if it wants to play nice.
xmotox
i will be there. have not been in a few years. do we still meet at mc donalds off 405?
PanelBilly
My car is up in the air so it’s not going anywhere
PeeGreen 914
If my son didn't have a baseball game I'd be there, but that doesn't really help the 914 showing. Be good to see a few of you guys though. Been too long.

Back to being a taxi dad unsure.gif
bradtho
it was a good turnout overall. a lot of 928's which is fun to see. There were a few 914's, some familiar cars (the bronze one w/ the BUB's and the fully restored signal orange GT) but I didn't see any familiar faces. I was incognito in a guards red tail dragger. there's a million of those!

I'm enjoying my new car, but the 914 crowd is more fun.

this thread could use some eye-candy, here was my favorite car of the day. beautifully restored 912. the owner said the color was Olive. The pepita seats had some of the same color in them. very cool.

Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(bradtho @ Apr 23 2018, 06:08 PM) *

it was a good turnout overall. a lot of 928's which is fun to see. There were a few 914's, some familiar cars (the bronze one w/ the BUB's and the fully restored signal orange GT) but I didn't see any familiar faces. I was incognito in a guards red tail dragger. there's a million of those!

I'm enjoying my new car, but the 914 crowd is more fun.

this thread could use some eye-candy, here was my favorite car of the day. beautifully restored 912. the owner said the color was Olive. The pepita seats had some of the same color in them. very cool.

Click to view attachment

Sorry I missed you! Drove the 73 1.7.

lol that 912 was amazing amd was surprised by the number of 928’s.
Jett
...more
Jett
...last... not a stock color but is still a great car smile.gif
piscean914
hey guys - i received this for the 1st alfa club day of the year at pacific raceways - i'll be there with my 914 - a bunch of old porsche's showed up last time - it would be great to see another 914 out there!

Hello fellow Alfisti and sport driving enthusiasts, I hope this message finds you well and that your 2018 is off to a great start.

The NW Alfa Romeo Club would like to announce its first track event of the year at Pacific Raceways, which is the ever-popular Twilight Lapping and HPDE. This driving event will take advantage of the later sunset so we can work almost a full day at the office and still enjoy several hours of sport driving fun from 5pm - 9pm at the track. This track event is open to all drivers regardless of club affiliation or preferred vehicle type, although we certainly encourage joining the NWARC for all the other benefits that members enjoy. For all non-members, the event registration includes a 1-day event membership ($10 value) which is non-transferrable beyond this one-day use.

All drivers must be at least 16 years old and in possession of a valid drivers license. Because this event does not include a separate car control clinic all drivers should have some experience on Pacific Raceways or have at least attended an NWARC driving clinic or one from another recognized regional club. There will be three driver groups based on skill/experience: First-timer ©, Intermediate (B), and Advanced (A). The C group will have an opportunity for a "lead-follow" lap and in-car instruction if needed.

Registration is now open: msreg.com/twilight2018

Date: Wednesday, May 30
Time: 4pm - 9pm (on track at 5pm)
Place: Pacific Raceways in Kent

Please do not hesitate to email or call if you have any questions. Thanks!

Mirko Freguia

Chief Driving Instructor - NWARC
mirko@copperfin.com
fb.me/corsecoach

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rhodyguy
Look for the Tacoma breakfast thread further down the page.
Here's a beautiful 1.7 we saw last weekend at Golden Gardens. I noticed it had the same deposit box I had done for my 1970 instead of the gauge console you see in the later ones. (So far my deposit box has been handy, BTW.) This is my favorite color, and I hope to have one some day.

A young couple walked by and also ogled the car. So funny that the 914 was considered an ugly car once upon a time.

In a hurry to get the kids home, so didn't hang around to find the owner. Someone here?

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Time is running out for having the car ready for WCR I could really use a hand putting the shift rod back together. Need someone in the driver's seat while I work the rod from under the car. Also if my new caliber arrives, might need a hand there too. Anyone available this Saturday morning (26th)?
Daiberl
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 22 2018, 03:34 PM) *

Time is running out for having the car ready for WCR I could really use a hand putting the shift rod back together. Need someone in the driver's seat while I work the rod from under the car. Also if my new caliber arrives, might need a hand there too. Anyone available this Saturday morning (26th)?

Would have loved to help but have to get the rental ready after the previous tenants moved out.
CHIZ 914
QUOTE(98101 @ May 13 2018, 01:25 AM) *

Here's a beautiful 1.7 we saw last weekend at Golden Gardens. I noticed it had the same deposit box I had done for my 1970 instead of the gauge console you see in the later ones. (So far my deposit box has been handy, BTW.) This is my favorite color, and I hope to have one some day.

A young couple walked by and also ogled the car. So funny that the 914 was considered an ugly car once upon a time.

In a hurry to get the kids home, so didn't hang around to find the owner. Someone here?

Click to view attachment

New to the 914 in the Seattle area and just looking for others for help with my 75 - 2.0L purchased last June, spent the last 10 months getting it road ready and almost doneClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
CHIZ 914
QUOTE(CHIZ 914 @ May 22 2018, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(98101 @ May 13 2018, 01:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

New to the 914 in the Seattle area and just looking for others for help with my 75 - 2.0L purchased last June, spent the last 10 months getting it road ready and almost doneClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.