Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener tuesday puget sound teeners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131
sportlicherFahrer
Where is that Geoff, a "coffee shop"? smoke.gif I should be abe to make it without a problem. I will now more once I get home later ummmm..... today I guess. CA and AZ have been great.
Eddie914
How about a work party to fix my broken control arm?

IPB Image

The doctors keep calling it a fibula ... but in gearhead lingo wouldn't it be considered a control arm(leg?).

I broke it while skiing with my 15 year old son on Thursday. Surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. You can all come over and sign my new cast!

Looks like I won't be driving the Teener(or anything else with a clutch pedal) for a while.

Eddie
DNHunt
Ah Eddie that's really bad luck. I broke the strut next to the control arm 1 time. 2 screws and a couple of months and I was good as new. The only thing is I have a dimple in my shin.

I'm no expert but I if I remember right That a pretty good place to break it . Plenty of bone to work with and it doesn't involve the articular surface.

Good Luck

Dave
Bleyseng
Yep, the other night I went to a coffee.gif shop and smoke.gif for the hell of it. Did Korijo proud as I didn't cough.....I was with a bunch of friends wandering around on a Friday night in Amsterdam trying to stay outta trouble. thumb3d.gif
Rand
LOL. Speaking of Korijo... ANYONE heard from Dave or Kori???? I'm a bit concerned since he's been off the radar a while and I'm not sure how degenerative his condition is.

I think it would be super cool if we could connect with the bro and go do a work party or something!!!

I think it's about time he feels some support and good wishes from his 914 buddies!!

Anyone know anything???
Eric Hagelin
Okay, instead of sending a bunch of private messages, I'll just give everyone my phone number right here, and if you can make it, please call me and I'll send you the address. 206-793-6518

The work party will be Sunday, January 7th at 1:30pm, in Woodinville. I've never hosted one (or attended one) - so I don't know what I'm doing, but I know how to bbq, and I'll bring my tools and parts and maybe some 914 guru will be able to get my car running!?

Thanks again, everyone.

-E
DNHunt
I think there is only 1 rule for hosting. Don't serve reconstituted steak from Costco. You'll get a ration of sh%t. I hosted a party and served those a couple of years ago and I still haven't lived it down. I may make my way up if I get the Xmas decorations down.

What are we trying to fix? I've hung around the boards long enough to have all of the answers. The problem is matching them to the right questions.

Dave
Michael J
I would love to come and join the wrenching or watching or eating. I am hoping to get my new sail vinyl on this week so might be able to drive the 914 - if the weather is not nasty. I'll check in later in the week.
jsharp.gif
Eric Hagelin
Well, my car has been having an intermittent problem where the RPMs drop off to zero and the car dies.

I'd try to start it, and the engine would turn over and rev up for a second, but then die off again.

At first, if I tried to crank it over, if I was fast enough (had to have the engine compartment open first), I could hop out right after turning the key and yank on the throttle valve to keep the RPMs up, it would stay idling and drive okay (for a while).

Usually, after repeated starts and attempts, I could get the thing on the road again.

Back in October, it died and I couldn't get the thing started again at all. It seemed like a fuel delivery problem to me, but I'm no expert. It's an L-Jet 1.8 (1975). I pulled out the fuel pump - the connections were very corroded, so I cleaned them up and crimped new terminals on them. I ohm'd out the intake air sensor, and got the correct readings (per Haynes). I replaced the fuel filter. I removed the fuel relay plate - it was totally corroded and looked terribly neglected (which made me happy, 'cause I figured that was the culprit). I took off all connections and cleaned/wire brushed everything. I made sure all the relays were working (I swapped 'em out with the headlamp relays 'cause I knew they were working okay) and swapped out the governor with a newer one I had in my parts box.

After I cleaned it all up and reconnected it, it started up and ran pretty smooth for about 20 minutes, and then the same problem occured.

I let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks, maybe longer... there was a lot of heavy rain, and then we had the intense cold snap... and I don't have a garage.

I tried starting it, just for kicks, (during the cold snap) and the thing fired right up! I let it run (and defrost and heat up) for a while, and it ran great for several days.

Then... same thing.

And that's where I'm at. Part of the problem is that I don't always know what I'm looking at under the hood - I'm a rookie. I have downloaded every possible manual and article known to man, and someone from the forum sent me a CDR of all the factory manuals... but I need wiser, more experienced minds and hands to get under the hood.
Solo914
Hey!
I have a 74 1.8L and I know that problem. I had it happen to me in Woodinville last summer. After cleaning connectors, swapping relays etc. I ended up replacing the dual relay that is specific to the fuel pump, it is not like the other relays and Its not a cheap relay either. To test it, just jump a wire from the hot pin(pin that has power) to the pin that makes the fuel pump run(you will hear it run). Then start the car. If it stays running then it was the relay.
I live in Woodinville and I think I will be able to swing by the work party for a bit next week. If I can make it we can just swap my new relay into your car or if anyone else has a stock 1.8L they can do the swap as well.

Hope the helps.
Kyle
sportlicherFahrer
Eric - It still looks like I will be able to make it up there. I figure I may be of pretty good help, as I went through my whole L-Jet system on my '75 in '05 before it wrecked. Hopefully Troy will chime in, as he has a 1.8 as well.

Eddy - Hope that leg isn't too bad! If you want someone to put some miles on the car, you know where to find me... biggrin.gif

As to everyone else - Happy new year! beerchug.gif If anyone needs any help with just about anything(not necessarily teener related) let me know!
Michael J
Eric,
My car has a D-jet so there may not be much similarity but I had the same problem last fall. Sometimes it would start - run for 30 seconds- and die. Sometimes it would start - run for 10 minutes - and die. confused24.gif After doing a lot of what you did I finally swapped out the fuel pump relay and it seems to be fine. Started and drove it yesterday for a warm up and it ran great. Good luck, those little gremlins are tough to run down.
messix
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jan 1 2007, 10:29 AM) *

Eric - It still looks like I will be able to make it up there. I figure I may be of pretty good help, as I went through my whole L-Jet system on my '75 in '05 before it wrecked. Hopefully Troy will chime in, as he has a 1.8 as well.

Eddy - Hope that leg isn't too bad! If you want someone to put some miles on the car, you know where to find me... biggrin.gif

As to everyone else - Happy new year! beerchug.gif If anyone needs any help with just about anything(not necessarily teener related) let me know!

sorry guys, i wont be able to make it, work day for me.
Rand
Sick day? tongue.gif Come on man, where are your priorities?
messix
i just might take a sick day, i've been sick as a dog since friday and not getting any better. being on-call doen't make it any better.
sportlicherFahrer
Call in sick man! And if you are out of sick days, call in dead! mueba.gif Sounds like you need beer3.gif and a teener day. Maybe this weather will go away by the weekend.... dry.gif
rhodyguy
eric, when was the last time your fuel filter was replaced?

k
mstein95
icon_bump.gif
I haven't seen a cancellation notice for Eric's work party this Sunday so I'm assuming its still on. Can someone send me direction JUST in case I can make it?

Gracias
effutuo101
I need directions as well!
icon_bump.gif
Eric Hagelin
Kevin - I installed a new fuel filter in October (when I was trying to troubleshoot the issue back then).

DIRECTIONS:

Take 405 (N or S, depending on you're point of departure) and then take the exit for 522E. The immediate first exit off of 522E is for Woodinville - don't take that one. Take the 2nd exit. The 2nd exit is for Duvall, and the road that the exit merges onto is actually the Woodinville-Duvall road. Stay on that road. Go through the first light (which is Hwy 9) and go up the hill. After a couple of immediate curves, you will keep going uphill and come to another light... go straight and continue uphill.

You'll come to another light, with an Arco and another gas station (Shell?) on your left. The road will turn from a 2-laner to a single lane right after that light (so keep going straight). The NEXT light (I don't know the street name) you will take a Left at. There is an espresso stand called Mack's Corner at that intersection. Stay on that road until you come to a stop sign and a 'T' at the end. Turn right.

About 30-50 yards ahead of you, there will be a Left turn onto a dead end, which is 170th Pl. That's the one, turn left onto 170th Pl. Almost at the very end of the street, on the left, you will come to a black mailbox that says "Hagelin" and "20221" - go up that driveway, and stay to the left (it forks off to the right, but that's not the house). Address is 20221 NE 10th Pl., Woodinville, WA 98072

You should see my 914 up there somewhere, and you can park anywhere that there is clear pavement, or in the grass. I'll either be manning the bbq or admiring my 914, or probably both.

Thank you again for your help, everyone! My cell phone number is 206-793-6518 but I just got a new Corgi puppy and he chewed through my charger cord, and my batteries are almost dead. Figures.
dinomium
sorry guy, the wife just told me she has the day off Sunday. Have fun
Rand
Damn lucky f'ing Seahawks..... Woohoo!!!!

After THAT, crazy f'ing game, I'm sorry, but I cannot excuse Dino or Troy from the local 914 wrenching party.

Dino, tell your wife where you're going Sunday. Troy, tell your boss where you're going Sunday.

Right? tongue.gif Right? Hell, I figure the guys at CLUB.com would even cheer that! LOL.

Looking forward to a great Eastside showing for Eric!!!
effutuo101
How many people are coming? I offered to bring brat's and buns for all. Let me know. Call me at 425.328.5788 around 11am. We are still meeting at noon - 1pm? Or is my time off?
messix
that address is not an accurate address.

but i think hes telling you guys to take wooinville duvall rd east to 168 av ne left or north to ne 195 st, to 170 ave ne.

if you can get past all the down trees!
sportlicherFahrer
Well Chris, ya have at least one taker for the brats! I still plan on being there. It will be good to see some of you guys again. It has been a long time.
DNHunt
Can't make it guys. Sick with the flu. Maybe next time.

Dave
Eric Hagelin
If the address isn't working in Mapquest, it's because I put the "NE" in the wrong spot.

edited to add: Oh brother, I see that I left the "7" out of the address in my post above. It's not 10th Pl, it's 170th Pl.

It's either:

20221 NE 170th Pl

or:

20221 170th Pl NE

(I don't know where the "NE" goes.)

But..........

I woke up this morning to a pretty steady rain. If it continues, should we do it another day? What's the consensus?
quadracerx
It is absolutely pooring here in Puyallup....Like we should start calling for Noah....LOL

The water is three feet from my back door!

Are we working on your car outside? IF so...then yes another day would be appropriate...LOL

Let me know...if we are still on....ill leave Puyallup at around noon....

Thanks...

Steve
rhodyguy
steve, are you still planning a carb troubleshoot/work day? if so, you might consider starting a thread of it's own. the date will get lost in the *teener tuesday* thread. yep, it's raining like crazy. i'm on the high ground so no worries.

k
Eric Hagelin
Yes, we would be working on it outdoors.

So... the list I have for people showing up is:

Chris - Yes
Morgan - Maybe
Sportlicher (James? I can't remember your name, sorry...) - Yes
Rand - Yes
Mike - Maybe
Kyle - Maybe
Steve - Yes

If everyone who has committed a 'yes' or a 'maybe' is okay with rescheduling for another date, that is certainly OK with me. I just would hate to reschedule it, and then have someone NOT check the forum and drive 40 miles for nothing.

So if you are planning on coming, or were thinking about it, and would rather reschedule due to the rain, please chime in.

(It is also possible that the rain will let up. I live in Lake Stevens, and it is down to a light sprinkle.... and I'm terribly excited about the thought of my car running again...)
quadracerx
Hi...

God I hate to sound like a wimp....lol..but I am coming down with a cold, so working outside is not so good....

If you plan on resheduling...Im in....but today cause of the weather...and my cold...i guess Im out...

Sorry....

Steve
Eric Hagelin
That's okay, Steve - no worries.

Anyone else out there (who was planning on coming) feel strongly, one way or the other?

Chris?
Sportlicher?
Rand?

(Everyone else was a "maybe", but you three all are/were "yes" on the work party.)

mstein95
I'm OK with a reschedule (prefer it due to weather).

Rand
Bunch of weenies. tongue.gif I was planning on showing. I don't melt in this weather. I'll be damned if I let it stop me from doing what I want. Actually, it's only windy, not rainy here right now.

Seriously though, no big to me either way. I'll check back here for the official status report around 12:30.
Eric Hagelin
OK, one positive 'yes' (even in a little rain) is good enough for me. Thanks, Rand. I will be there. If no one else can make it due to weather, etc., that's okay.

It's on - I will not be there 'til 1:00pm, though. I'll bring some sausages and rolls (in case Chris doesn't make it), and hot coffee will be brewing.
sportlicherFahrer
Weather update? I still plan to come if it isnt pouring/blowing like the dickens. Might be there a little later than 1 though. Where is Chris??? confused24.gif
effutuo101
I am on my way. I will bring brat's and buns.
rhodyguy
did you guys get the car to run?

k
effutuo101
I had to leave about 4, and it wasn't running when I left. This is a wierd one. the car was running when I showed up. Rand and Eric had used the relay from the headlights for the fuel pump relay and the car was idling nice. But after about 5 minutes, it shut off. It would then run intermittently for a few seconds and then shut off. You could smell varnish, but no gas. Jim found a wire that was burned up (connector fell off in his hand) and fixed that. The strange thing is that when the relay was put back into the headlight, the lights wouldn't pop up. we tried several relay's to the same result. If you hold the relay, you can feel it click, but then nothing. Any clues?
Eric Hagelin
Thanks to all who showed up to help on my car - I really appreciate it.

No, Kevin, the car is still inop - but Rand and Chris got to witness the strange intermittent problem I'm having! She started up and ran/idled very smooth for about 15 minutes, and then completely, immediately cut-out without warning.

We checked a number of different components (fuel pump, injectors, relays, intake air sensor stator flap movement & ohm readings, etc.) and the gremlin is a little hard to pin down.

Jim pulled my ignition coil and dropped his in there, to see if that was the culprit, but my coil is fine... however, during that process, he found that the wiring from the ignition coil through the harness to the relay plate was seriously degraded. The terminal broke off in his hand while removing it from the coil!

I'm going to replace the wiring, and clean up all my grounds. If it doesn't run after that, then I'm at a loss on what to do next. Maybe Troy would have some ideas? (You've got an L-jet, right, Troy?)

Thanks again, guys. Time is precious, and you guys took some to help a brother out.
effutuo101
I think we need to get Troy's car sitting next to it and go wire by wire. the PO had some interesting wiring choices.
Eric Hagelin
I had swapped out relays for the fuel pump before yesterday, by the way. I don't think that's what got the car to start and run/idle the way it did - because it will start and run fine (sometimes for days) - and then just cut-out mysteriously.

What WAS strange, was that I pulled the headlight relay (Rand witnessed my working headlamps) out and put it in the fuel pump relay.

I had several spare relays, and we put them in the headlamp slot, but the headlamp motors wouldn't lift. The lights came on, but no action on the motors. I thought maybe the relays were no good (we tried a few), and Rand pulled one from his headlamps, but it didn't work either. Weird, the headlamp motors were working fine ten minutes before!

Got to be some cheesy wiring in there somewhere?!

Damn thing sure looks good, though - even when she's sitting still and inoperative! I love that tempermental bitch!

messix
i can come over on saturday with my car and a real volt ohm meter.
dinomium
Sounds like a bad ground or where the four leads connect to the pos battery terminal.
dinomium
slightly of our topic... I saw this in the Paddock, Northwest Hillclimb There are two in Oregon and one in Idaho! Pretty kewl, huh?
Tom
Eric,
I had a similar relay problem for the relay that operates the power to the blower, horn , and in my case the radio. Put relay in aftre checking that it was good. Worked one day , then stopped working. Finally found out that the female plug that the relay goes into was not soo good. Here is what I did to overcome the bad connection. Pull the relay and use a small wire brush to clean the socket as good as you can , take the relay prongs and try to slightly bend them apart ( spreading them wider, and wire brush them also. Did this to all of my relays and now - no more intermittent power problems.
Hope this helps.
Tom
messix
ok guys, every one ok in this latest snow storm?

how about your commutes?

being a cable guy has it's advantages in getting around traffic, knowing where ever street in the pierce, king and snohomish county go to!
mstein95
I'll be taking the teener to work today sad.gif wife's car is in the shop and she bumped me from the DD. Slow and steady..wish me luck. Any word on the road conditions from Oly to Shelton? blink.gif
914werke
Commute was a piece of cake biggrin.gif
I was in Phoenix yeterday morn 74 degrees,
Arrive in Seatac 2PM by the time I drive to Mill Crk
its Snow/Hailing like the bejeasus headbang.gif
2" in about an hour.
I had to fly home early after having an
run in with an cactus while Golfing at the Phoenician confused24.gif wub.gif
DNHunt
Commute was a piece of cake except for snow blowing horizontally across the Narrows Bridge. I came in and all the patients cancelled but 2. With the overhead I get to pay for the pleasure. Not the best day.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.