Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard shifting when hot...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche735
When teh engine and transmission are cool, everything shifts just fine. I have noticed, that as the transmission heats up, it gets harder to shift (mostly into the gears on the "bottom" of the selector (3rd and 5th). I have heard of others with this problem, but can't remember what the general "patt" answer is. Something tells me it is the ring and pinion depth, but I am not positive.

Can someone help?

thanks,
Chris
SirAndy
when was the last time you changed "se oel" in your tranny?
is it a stock 901?
if the oil is old (meaning, you can't remember the last time it was changed), get the guud blue schtuff (swepco) and fill her up ...

Andy
porsche735
Brand new Swepco 201. It's not the oil....

Chris
SirAndy
damm, that would have been too easy smile.gif

sooo, something is expanding, either inside the tranny or outside alongside the shift-linkage.
do you have solid tranny mounts?

Andy
porsche735
Solid mounts. We just rebuilt the tranny and it shifted beautifully when first installed. However, we are getting a bit of a whine. Most we have talked to said it is normal, but I think it may be getting a bit worse which is why I think the Pinion depth setting may be off... But, I am not sure this could cause hard shifting.

Chris
tat2dphreak
mine did the same thing... I replaced all of the bushings and things are MUCH better
Neal
What bushings, the shift linkage or internal tranny ?, I have the same symptoms and I have new shift lnkage bushings.
Neal
tat2dphreak
I replaced the linkage bushings....
SirAndy
QUOTE(porsche735 @ Sep 15 2003, 10:55 AM)
Solid mounts.  We just rebuilt the tranny and it shifted beautifully when first installed.  However, we are getting a bit of a whine.  Most we have talked to said it is normal, but I think it may be getting a bit worse which is why I think the Pinion depth setting may be off...  But, I am not sure this could cause hard shifting.

the whine is somewhat normal.
with the solid mounts, the shift-linkage does not have a lot of play and it could bind somewhere when everything gets hot and expands. that's the first thing i would check.

get the thing hot and see if there's any unsual tight spots in the linkage.

if that doesn't help, it's gearbox disassembly for dinner chowtime.gif
Andy
porsche735
I have new bushings including a special bronze bushing at transmission.. I don't think it is anything external to the transmission as none of that has really changed...

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.