Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front License Plate excuses??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
For those of us who live in states that require a front plate:

Do you put it on?

If not have you been ticketed?

If you got out of your ticket how did you do it?

Colorado has really cracked down on this recently because of the use of photo radar. I carry mine in the car, and have had a verbal warning, but a co worker just got a 50 dollar ticket when her car was parked downtown boulder at a meter. Another friend got pulled over for not having one, and ticketed as well. I really hate the idea of putting mine on, just spoils the looks of the car, plus I just plugged the holes wink.gif .
SirAndy
$40 parking ticket PLUS $150 ticket for not having a front license plate here in downtown San Francisco ...

fighting19.gif
Andy
VegasRacer
There are 31 states that issue plates in pairs.
They are: Alask, Cal, Colo, Con, Haw, Id, Ill, Iowa, Maine, Md, Mass, Minn, Mo, Mt, Neb, Nv, NH, NJ, NY, ND, Oh, Or, RI, SD, Tex, Ut, Vt, Virg, Wash, Wisc & Wy. 32 if you add D.C.
In Canada - BC, Man, NB, Ont & Sask issue pairs.

There does not seem to be consistent enforcement of the local laws regrading properly displaying them. Here in Nevada it is just a 'performance ticket'. If you get a citation you can go to the police station with a front plate properly attached and they will drop the charges. I have never had the correct front plate on any of my vehicles and have never been stopped for it. (knock on wood)

It was the front plate thing that got me started collecting license plates. When I got my first teener 10 years ago it had the wide spaced holes for a European plate on the front bumper. I thought it would be cool to attach an old German plate. By the time I found a nice one, I had developed a new hobby.
tdgray
I've never got pulled over for not having one on my MGA.

WOOD smash.gif

I have buddies in my car club that say they get it all the time. I carry my front plate in my trunk just in case.

In Ohio, people (including cops) are mainly just suprised that a 43 year old car is on the road and they ignore the illegals.

Todd
kdfoust
Heh. A couple of years ago we left my wife's car parked at LAX for a three weeks. We come back and find a ticket for NFP (no front plate). It was a fix-it ticket for like $30 or $50. I didn't think it was very sporting of them...

The 914 is NFP and the new 944 will be NFP as soon as I get my phillips after it. "They've" been getting pickier since stoplight cameras and laser speed guns started going in around socal.

Good luck,
Kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Sep 15 2003, 11:05 AM)
...Here in Nevada it is just a 'performance ticket'. If you get a citation you can go to the police station with a front plate properly attached and they will drop the charges.

maybe true in Clark County but Reno (Washoe County) was getting picky while i was there, heard of several SNR members who got tagged...

that's -one- good thing about PA - no front plates !

ran a front plate on the Subie, but it was bent just about parallel with the road surface and was more of an air deflector into the radiator area than anything. i don't think a pole-mounted camera could have made out numbers ...
-P-
I took mine off, but might stick it back one because of the dents in the bumper. My jetta doesnt have a place for one so I just keep it in the trunk if I were to ever get hassled.
bmendel
If you're feeling lucky, I think the law is that a front plate must be "displayed", not necessarily "attached", and must be displayed no more than (some fairly liberal number like 36 or 42 inches) above the road. Print a copy of the regulation from the DMV, and stick it and the front license plate on the dash so it can be seen through the window next time you park downtown. If you still get a ticket, well, it's like taking one for the team, at least the rest of us will know not to try it!
Andyrew
I put mine in the front window today (front of dash).. (first drive to school) cus I cant find my plate holder..

Andrew
Air_Cooled_Nut
Well, my luck lasted for three years until an over-zealous Beaverton motorcycle cop took a sudden interest in my Jetta and pulled me over for no front plate. I had lost mine due to an accident (mini-van plowed into me because he was looking for something on the floor) and never replaced it after the front was worked on. Yes, cars look MUCH better with no plate in front. Charges dropped since I went to the DMV and got a new set of plates that very day.

So, it's kinda hit-n-miss. I drive carefully and try to be grandpa-like when I see a cop so not to arrouse their interest. It worked for a while...oh well.
campbellcj
Knock on wood, I haven't run a front plate on my cars in at least 10 years and have had no probs. I think it is one of those things where the officer has to be really bored and/or really 'dislike' something about your driving or your car before you'll get popped. Yes, I have been stopped for speeding etc. in NFP cars and that topic was never brought up nor was noise, illegal (euro) lights etc.
Mountain914
Another Colorado member here...
I do not run a front plate, but I do throw it up on the dash.
Never have been pulled over (nor invited a reason to do so).
There is no way I'm drilling into my front bumper... but I have considered those hard-drive magnets (but afraid they will start rusting).
Mountain914
hijacked.gif

Hope you don't mind I resurrected this from the dead...
I just read a thread where it's not wise to have a plate on the front dash (makes sense that it could slice up the passenger in an accident) so am trying to think of ways to mount a front plate without drilling the bumper.

Found this on the VW Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2...postid=31275909
(Granted that's about magnets through a plastic bumper) - but has anyone found a better way for front plates that don't drill the bumper ?

I could have sworn I saw a nice bracket someone made for theirs, that went between the spoiler and the bumper, I think, but as always I am looking for a step-by-step and it's obvious by me digging up this old thread I used the search ! blink.gif
turboman808
WHat is this Honda-tech.com now? Just put them on.
Joe Bob
Only when they MAKE me....
Cap'n Krusty
We here in the non club are very fortunate. Unlike mere citizens, WE get to pick which laws we want to obey. I pity all the lesser mortals .................

Actually, I feel sorry for those of you that spend all that time thinking about how you can avoid having a front plate, as if it were a defining experience in your pituful excuses for lives .................. The Cap'n, who can't believe this topic is on the same page as the one about one of our own fighting for his life ............. Does this p*ss you off? Good!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 19 2006, 03:48 PM) *

We here in the non club are very fortunate. Unlike mere citizens, WE get to pick which laws we want to obey. I pity all the lesser mortals .................

Actually, I feel sorry for those of you that spend all that time thinking about how you can avoid having a front plate, as if it were a defining experience in your pituful excuses for lives .................. The Cap'n, who can't believe this topic is on the same page as the one about one of our own fighting for his life ............. Does this p*ss you off? Good!

I don't think that any disrespect was ment except maybe from you, jumping on

fellow non-members who are dealing with this sad news in their own way will

not make him better. Prayers from all would be helpful.
DNHunt
Everybody back off. This is a tough situation and people are going to respond differently. Krusty may know James personally and may have met him face to face. He may know James's family. He may be grieving for a friend in dire circumstances. I really don't know but, I respect the fact that he feels the way he does.

For the rest of us, we know James through his posts and I for 1 would never recognize him on the street. The internet has given us a brand new situation. We feel grief for someone we really don't know. I really don't know how I should feel. I'm sad for sure but, I just don't know. I suspect everyone will be touched on different levels so, cut people some extra slack for a while. This is probably new to a lot of people.

Dave
Joe Bob
Chill people.....nothing here on this BBS will make James' situation any better. Let's keep the banter light.
So.Cal.914
You are right and I like him too. He is fair and level, I don't think I ever

read him pissed off or short with members that asked any question. He allways

is a Gentleman on this site and I have a strong suspision that he was the same

in real life. When he gives an answer I consider it gospel.
banksyinoz
av-943.gif

R E V E N U E

got to love those sheeplove.gif

oh my orficer those local thieves must have taken off with it,

oh my,

we must pray that justice is served them swiftly

av-943.gif
alpha434
Ha. I just got one of those tickets last month, Ferg. I went to court and told them that my bumper had european spacing and that it's against DOT regs to alter the bumper in any way. Dropped.
JPB
What I heard is that they want to chip our cars so they know if we do ANY speeding, where the car is PARKED, if the owner is LEGAL, if the car is STOLEN, and to ID the car on streets as we DRIVE! The next thing they wanna do is CHIP PEOPLE, to see where they LIVE, what they PURCHASE, if they are LEGAL, if they pay TAXES, where they WORK, and scan crouds for potetial CRIMINAL activities as well as ID excons in public places. Plates, thats just a small issue. The price of freedom will be [b][i]HUGE SOON!

beer.gif Just be a good citizen.
Tobra
Ironic this should get revived on 8-19

I drove my integra for 4 years in Texas, and 4 years in Cali, no front plate. Was doing a house call down in the hood yesterday, and got pulled over. He was clearly not in a good mood. First he asked, why did you pull over like that(quickly) You turned on your lights and I knew I had not done anything wrong, so I wanted to get out of your way. Asked for license, I respond, it is in the trunk, and start to get out. He is pissed, "Don't open your door on me" and blocks it with his knee. I thought you wanted my license, to which he responds, why is it in the trunk. When I am doing house calls, I leave it in the trunk. I get him the license, and ask if he wants the registration and insurance stuff, get it for him and ask why he pulled me over, "No front plate", I see.

He comes back with the ticket, was resistant to telling me anything about it, what to do, he did not know(it is on the back) how much is the "administrative fee" was(varies by jurisdiction it appears). When we were all done, bear in mind I was very yes sir, no sir the entire time. "Listen, I am not trying to be a smart alec or anything, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but don't you have something better to do than this?" He walked away like he did not here me.

Gotta generate money somehow I guess, not like they will spend any of it on infrastructure like they should be. When I got the 914, it had the rear blue plate, I told them I did not have a front plate at the DMV and they said if I get a ticket for it I will have to pay for new plates, not, it is the law, you need to get them. In Texas they give you new plates every 5 or 7 years, can't remember which.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 20 2006, 02:05 AM) *

Ha. I just got one of those tickets last month, Ferg. I went to court and told them that my bumper had european spacing and that it's against DOT regs to alter the bumper in any way. Dropped.

Oh, good for you (sarcasm intended). The car came with a bracket that fits both the holes in the bumper and your US plates. The Cap'n
Mountain914
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Aug 19 2006, 03:21 PM) *

hijacked.gif

Hope you don't mind I resurrected this from the dead...
I just read a thread where it's not wise to have a plate on the front dash (makes sense that it could slice up the passenger in an accident) so am trying to think of ways to mount a front plate without drilling the bumper.

Found this on the VW Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2...postid=31275909
(Granted that's about magnets through a plastic bumper) - but has anyone found a better way for front plates that don't drill the bumper ?

I could have sworn I saw a nice bracket someone made for theirs, that went between the spoiler and the bumper, I think, but as always I am looking for a step-by-step and it's obvious by me digging up this old thread I used the search ! blink.gif

OK - judging by the replies I must have totally done this wrong.
Folks - please look at the date of the first post - and THEN read the post I quoted above. Crap - guess I should have started a NEW topic. My bad - punish me spank.gif chair.gif

In the future, I will try and be a good boy and start a new topic. I am sorry about that ! I give up !

And heck no - there is no way I'm drilling into this:
IPB Image
alpha434
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 20 2006, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(alpha434 @ Aug 20 2006, 02:05 AM) *

Oh, good for you (sarcasm intended). The car came with a bracket that fits both the holes in the bumper and your US plates. The Cap'n

Come on, man. Like the judge wants to take a field trip out to the parking lot to see if I'm telling him the truth. I know I was lying, but I also know that not having a front plate installed isn't exactly criminal.
Toast
I do not have the front licence plate at all. I have the blue California plate. I hope I never get pulled over for it because even if I get a fix-it ticket, I wont be able to keep my blue plates. Fix-it ticket's in California require you to bring the vehicle to the DMV for inspection approval before they will revome the ticket. That would mean I would have to get new plates......bye, bye classic blue plate. mad.gif
Joe Bob
Actually Melba...you can get signed off by the CHP and you can get a replica made out of state......that way you can KEEP your Blue Plate Special.....
jgara962
Been driving 18 years without one. No problems yet.
Joe Bob
Airports and big cities....you get nailed there everytime......the smaller towns are a little looser...
ptravnic
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 20 2006, 09:49 AM) *

What I heard is that they want to chip our cars so they know if we do ANY speeding, where the car is PARKED, if the owner is LEGAL, if the car is STOLEN, and to ID the car on streets as we DRIVE! The next thing they wanna do is CHIP PEOPLE, to see where they LIVE, what they PURCHASE, if they are LEGAL, if they pay TAXES, where they WORK, and scan crouds for potetial CRIMINAL activities as well as ID excons in public places. Plates, thats just a small issue. The price of freedom will be [b][i]HUGE SOON!

I've heard EZ passes might be able to show who is speeding... Clock you at one toll, clock you on another... D=VT

Not sure how credible but seems like the man could flex = ACHTUNG!
Cap'n Krusty

Come on, man. Like the judge wants to take a field trip out to the parking lot to see if I'm telling him the truth. I know I was lying, but I also know that not having a front plate installed isn't exactly criminal.
[/quote]

"Isn't exactly criminal"? A violation of the existing law is, by definition, a crime, however minor. Lying under oath is an even more serious crime. It continues to amaze me that people think thay can pick and choose among laws, rules, and ordinances, deciding on their own (and in their own personal self interest) which ones they'll follow and which ones "don't apply in their case". Kinda like people who use the handicap spaces "for just a minute".

Sorry, I don't buy it. If you don't like the law, either get it changed, or move somewhere where they don't have that law. As they say, though, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it." The Cap'n
Toast
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 21 2006, 09:12 AM) *

Actually Melba...you can get signed off by the CHP and you can get a replica made out of state......that way you can KEEP your Blue Plate Special.....

How do you get the CHP to sign off the ticket?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 21 2006, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 21 2006, 09:12 AM) *

How do you get the CHP to sign off the ticket?

If you have both plates put the front one back on go to the CHP office and request

an inspection for a fixit ticket. But it is the job of the CHP to bust people for

vehicle infractions like modified exaust, to low, tinted windows, no front plate etc.
Ferg
Boy this thread is old.

I carry my front plate under my pass carpet now, just in case. Have not been pulled over yet, but i'd prolly use the euro spacing excuse...

Lock me up, and throw away the key! av-943.gif

Ferg
turboman808
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 20 2006, 05:49 AM) *

The next thing they wanna do is CHIP PEOPLE, to see where they LIVE, what they PURCHASE, if they are LEGAL, if they pay TAXES, where they WORK, and scan crouds for potetial CRIMINAL activities as well as ID excons in public places.

They already do that. Well we volunteer to do it. I would imagine the FBI could be on my ass within an hour. Hard to live outside the system these days.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 21 2006, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 20 2006, 09:49 AM) *

I've heard EZ passes might be able to show who is speeding... Clock you at one toll, clock you on another... D=VT

Not sure how credible but seems like the man could flex = ACHTUNG!

My Nephew in Fla. has lost his pass three time for speeding thru the toll area.

They send him a notice with his picture and speed and how long he has

his pass revoked this time. 1984?
street legal go-kart
I know we all grieve in different ways, but can't we all just get along?

JT
ps

Can't wait to drag pegs with you James, no mater what the location.

LvSteveH
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 21 2006, 10:16 AM) *

"Isn't exactly criminal"? A violation of the existing law is, by definition, a crime, however minor. Lying under oath is an even more serious crime. It continues to amaze me that people think thay can pick and choose among laws, rules, and ordinances, deciding on their own (and in their own personal self interest) which ones they'll follow and which ones "don't apply in their case". Kinda like people who use the handicap spaces "for just a minute".

Well, considering that sodomy and pre-marital cohabitation are still illegal in several states, I think we've got to give the letter of the law a little room in some instances. Personally, if I choose to break a law I consider trivial, like driving one of my unfinished cars around the neighborhood without a valid registration, I am fully prepared to pay the consequences.

Laws are in most cases just a set of prescribed standards and consequences that encourage moral behavior and maintain an orderly society. The law dictates the speed LIMIT, but I'm sure even the Captain has broken that one a time or two. As individuals, we must consider the impact of the laws we knowingly break, and be prepared to answer for them.

In an area where photo radar is used, then the front plate has a practical purpose, and I can see why strict enforcement is needed. If there is no practical purpose for a front plate in any given area, then what is the harm? Maybe the tickests issued will do some good for the community.

JPB
And heck no - there is no way I'm drilling into this:
IPB Image
[/quote]

If your gonna put porn on this site, please have your sweet biotch in a bra!!!! Crap, should I love your car that much!!!LOL

beer.gif :wub:ASHAVING!!!
JPB
To all how have replied to this insane bit of info I posted I say,"Tha man is always lookin, OOohahaha!"

beer.gif The world is my urinal!!!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 21 2006, 01:42 PM) *

I look forward to these little pearls of yours. LOL
orange914
QUOTE(tdgray @ Sep 15 2003, 12:14 PM) *

I've never got pulled over for not having one on my MGA.

WOOD smash.gif

I have buddies in my car club that say they get it all the time. I carry my front plate in my trunk just in case.

In Ohio, people (including cops) are mainly just suprised that a 43 year old car is on the road and they ignore the illegals.

Todd

in good old ca. we ignore the illegals too. oh MY BAD we're talking about liscence plates?
Joe Bob
You already HAVE a chip.....it's in your cell phone.
JPB
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 21 2006, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 21 2006, 01:42 PM) *

I look forward to these little pearls of yours. LOL

Thanks bro. In the least, I hope to be entertaining. I think this club is so cool and the people are genuinly good and helpfull. All of you have improved the quality of my life in many ways and hope to get to see as many of you as possible in the future. All of this here is for brotherhood, fun, laughs, and some DAMN FINE DRIVING!!

beer.gif Its all in good fun and hope you all don't take me to seriously.LOL Thanks again. wink.gif
JPB
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 21 2006, 08:19 PM) *

You already HAVE a chip.....it's in your cell phone.

I try to keep my cell off as much as possible since this is locatable.LOL
beer.gif "Company"
Dr Evil
JPB = Miles, but less intellegable wink.gif biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
What makes you think that the Black Helicopters can't energize the chip even when it's OFF?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.